Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 6640 of 52969, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pentium Pro 180 MHz
The ES on the back side stands for an Engineering sample? I have never seen this on any of my PPro CPUs... all of them are just Malay or Philippines (1M variant), no ES marking.
ppro_2j5r4h.jpg

ppro_1gcq5x.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 6641 of 52969, by Callahan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/viewtopic.php? … 5&view=previous
No they are not engineering samples.

KB80521EX180%20SY031%20H.jpg

Cpq: ap550(2x1G/256k), sp750(2x900/2MB), 5100(2xpII300)
TD-30 2xP166 NT 3.51
HP Vectra XU 6/200 2x PIIOD 512MB FPM Banshee
Super S2DG2@550/2MB SCSI 15k V5 5500
P4T533-C P4 3,06 Ti4600
Dell T700r @P3-700 V3 3500
PR440FX-2x PIIOD Voodoo 4500 PCI r320 CT1920

Reply 6642 of 52969, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you.
Still, it is a nice CPU to have - I love goldcap Pentium and Pentium Pro most of all processors. 😊 Too bad they are so expensive these days.

Reply 6644 of 52969, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never understood why people collect those... I mean, it's a radio. No next button, no playlists, pfft.

I dunno, probably just me having grown up in a digital age. The point-to-point circuits from that time though are a work of art, you've gotta post some images of the internals.

Just to be clear, I think it's good that people do collect those, they should be preserved.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 6645 of 52969, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

Never understood why people collect those... I mean, it's a radio. No next button, no playlists, pfft.

I dunno, probably just me having grown up in a digital age. The point-to-point circuits from that time though are a work of art, you've gotta post some images of the internals.

Just to be clear, I think it's good that people do collect those, they should be preserved.

🤣 Really?

I grew up in the digital age too. I just appreciate and enjoy collecting older technology for what it is.

If you don't like what is playing, you can always turn the dial.

Reply 6646 of 52969, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah...
People just don't understand my love for retro computing as well.
Only my oldest brother understand it, and he is only into dynablaster and a couple of older games as I am into the hardware aspect and gaming secondly.
As a matter of fact, I have only come across one person in the entire country, wich are into retro computing as well, in the past 5 years or so. All others are saying "Why"....

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6647 of 52969, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just paid for an Asus P5A mobo and a GF2-MX 400. Waiting for it to arrive.
Finally I am getting an low watt GFX, faster than the TNT and finally an ALI-V board after some years of searching.
Have those via based mvp3 boards, and as much as I love the Ga-5AX, the Asus are all I can get a hand on.
Patience are the key to hunting down hardware I guess.

Reply 6648 of 52969, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
havli wrote:
Pentium Pro 180 MHz The ES on the back side stands for an Engineering sample? I have never seen this on any of my PPro CPUs... a […]
Show full quote

Pentium Pro 180 MHz
The ES on the back side stands for an Engineering sample? I have never seen this on any of my PPro CPUs... all of them are just Malay or Philippines (1M variant), no ES marking.
ppro_2j5r4h.jpg

ppro_1gcq5x.jpg

Good find sir. 😀
Just think of the holocaust that the P-Pro have gone through, in the recent years, regarding gold scrappers.

I actually scrap gold my self, only from parts that are defect and beyond any repair.
And modems too. As they have no real value at all. Working parts are kept safe.

Reply 6649 of 52969, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Yeah... People just don't understand my love for retro computing as well. Only my oldest brother understand it, and he is only i […]
Show full quote

Yeah...
People just don't understand my love for retro computing as well.
Only my oldest brother understand it, and he is only into dynablaster and a couple of older games as I am into the hardware aspect and gaming secondly.
As a matter of fact, I have only come across one person in the entire country, wich are into retro computing as well, in the past 5 years or so. All others are saying "Why"....

I am more lucky 😀 I was completely alone for the first several months until I joined the forums, but later I met more retro enthusiasts than I would expect. One man was staying in Omsk (the city where I live) for a while, he posted an add "PCI FM radio and ISA TV tuner giveaway in Omsk", we met, he even gave me a Zip250 USB and PIII-550 on top of that. And then he started to talk about his notebook collection. It always surprises me how much lust retro enthusiasts have at the first sight of understanding in the collocutor's eyes. We spoke for more than an hour and all I did was nod and insert comments, I owed him that 😀

The next guy I met was a 14-year-old boy from our city, Eugene, with a hint of mustache and a strong interest in Tualatin systems. We met via local add, he was giving away a nice Vibra16 sound card and we ended up talking a lot. Later I gave him that PIII-550 I mentionned earlier.

The third guy I ran across was Igor, a middle-aged CPU collector. This guy found me on a forum and asked for a phone number immediately 😀 We keep in touch and help each other out when it comes to local adds.

The forth guy I met is around my age, name is Yuri, as in Yuri's Revenge. Giveaway add once again 😀 We exchanged gifts, among other stuff I got a zip drive once again 🤣 this time 100Mb ATAPI.

So, if you're looking for an associate, post up a giveaway add! Someone might show up when and where you least expect.

Reply 6650 of 52969, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm. Think I might do it.
Would be Nice to hold a retro computerweekend like the ones we had back in the early 90's.
With people that went to one of such events back then.

Reply 6651 of 52969, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:

Not computer hardware but certainly retro.
img
It's missing a couple tubes and will need some work. 1949 -- early American FM broadcast.

1949, very nice. 😀

My audio system I'm using for my main PC (and soon some of my retro computers as well - when I find some sort of an audio switch).
Manufactured in 1978 - Tesla ARS 820. Quite popular retro brand in my country (they are no longer in business anymore - for 20 years or so).
PICT0886m.jpg

And stereo amplifier AZS 223 - from late 1980s.
1m.jpg

Reply 6652 of 52969, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
Good find sir. :-) Just think of the holocaust that the P-Pro have gone through, in the recent years, regarding gold scrappers. […]
Show full quote

Good find sir. 😀
Just think of the holocaust that the P-Pro have gone through, in the recent years, regarding gold scrappers.

I actually scrap gold my self, only from parts that are defect and beyond any repair.
And modems too. As they have no real value at all. Working parts are kept safe.

A little off topic but I actually have some friends in rural dairy land Pennsylvania that actually are too far out for broadband, or rather the one broadband they are offered is something like $200/month for 128KB DSL that they normally are still connecting by modems. There actually are some places in the USA that are not covered by broadband yet, or if they do have it, the option is too expensive for some people. Modems actually still do have a use for some folks. Fortunately they're utterly cheap as dirt today.

Reply 6653 of 52969, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:

It's missing a couple tubes and will need some work. 1949 -- early American FM broadcast.

Cool!
I got a few of those too, including an OTL Philips I've been meaning to fix someday, though they're not as old as yours.

Weird though how your 40's radio goes up to 108MHz FM while my 50's radios all max out at 100 (and turn right-to-left).

Reply 6654 of 52969, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Along with retro computing I like retro video capture/editing equipment (analog) along with 80's to 90's era audio. One of my last purchases was a Panasonic DAT player/recorder SV-3800.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 6655 of 52969, by Sev80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unknown_K wrote:

Along with retro computing I like retro video capture/editing equipment (analog) along with 80's to 90's era audio. One of my last purchases was a Panasonic DAT player/recorder SV-3800.

i got a ton of video toaster stuff if youre interested!

Reply 6656 of 52969, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:
Cool! I got a few of those too, including an OTL Philips I've been meaning to fix someday, though they're not as old as yours. […]
Show full quote
smeezekitty wrote:

Cool!
I got a few of those too, including an OTL Philips I've been meaning to fix someday, though they're not as old as yours.

Weird though how your 40's radio goes up to 108MHz FM while my 50's radios all max out at 100 (and turn right-to-left).

Perhaps the country it was built for only went up to 100MHz at the time? Just a guess.
I don't know the history of FM in the European countries.

Reply 6657 of 52969, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did not post images of the two things I bought the other day, as I were on Vogons, using a Windows Phone.
Here they are....

P5AWEB.jpg

GFXWEB.jpg

I hope they arrive in good working order, as the seller have said that he have packet it all in antistatic bags,
and a lot of filling material. He has even dismateled the CPU-Cooler for me.
Boy I hope that the cpu is an K6-III+ or just another K6-III. He did not mention anything about that and the
CPU and perhaps the memory is just bonus as I see it. I bought whats in the picture for a low price.

Reply 6658 of 52969, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the 6th Geforce 8800 GTX I have bought this winter... and the 3rd working one.
Finally I can mess around with G80 tripple SLI.

XFX Pine Group Geforce 8800 GTX. The factory OC for this card is 630/1000 up from 575/900.
The GPU on the Geforce 8800 Ultra is only clocked at 612 MHz so this card should be just as fast.
8800GTX.jpg

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 6659 of 52969, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:
This is the 6th Geforce 8800 GTX I have bought this winter... and the 3rd working one. Finally I can mess around with G80 tripp […]
Show full quote

This is the 6th Geforce 8800 GTX I have bought this winter... and the 3rd working one.
Finally I can mess around with G80 tripple SLI.

XFX Pine Group Geforce 8800 GTX. The factory OC for this card is 630/1000 up from 575/900.
The GPU on the Geforce 8800 Ultra is only clocked at 612 MHz so this card should be just as fast.
<snip>

Make sure the clock speeds on both core and memory all match, nvidia SLI is picky about this on all generations of cards, new and old. You can put mismatched overclocked/not-overclocked cards together, but unless you manually match the clocks, you'll see bluescreens and crashes and all sorts of nastiness.