Reply 7180 of 53040, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kodai wrote:
glutamin wrote:

Hi guys!

I bought a Yamaha DB50XG today on a flea market.

Hopfully its a working one. (I payed 0.72 USD for it)

Why do the back of the header pins look burnt?

Just looks like left over solder flux to me.

Reply 7181 of 53040, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this for my 486 Super-OverDrive-Mega-The-Champoins-World-Warrior-Turbo-Editon-Reloaed machine;
tseng-labs-winfast-t230-series-pci-for-mac-et4000w32p-et4000v33-2.39.jpg

Not that exact one, because I got if from Wiredforservice - that Canadian geezer on eBay with stupidly high prices - so the sellers images are awful. Still, I have bought from that seller before, it's who my GUS came from years ago when he had a weird spree of lowering the prices for a while and it turned up just fine. Seems what I paid is about right for these anyway, after shipping it's the same as the SPEA card was from Germany. Mine has only 1MB of RAM installed, but I have a dead S3 card with loads of ram onboard that I can strip for that as those ICs are actually not that hard to remove if you carefully apply heat to the solder holding them on.

Here's hoping it's better than the SPEA board, at least LeadTek, whilst being a cheapo-Taiwanese company, don't usually deviate far from known working reference designs. I have had looked at the datasheets and nothing on there seems like it will cause problems. My only worry would be that the Viper might interfere with the RealMagic somehow, but as one is for AVI and the other for MPEG, I doubt that will be the case. Software support is certainly miles ahead, I have drivers for FOUR different operating systems where SPEA supported only one as far as I can tell.

I will miss that nice copper "PCI Local BUS" part, but nothing can be perfect I guess, rather have card that works and looks a bit crappy than one that looks awesome and does nothing (except suicide an irreplaceable part).

Next on the list is:
RealMagic cable (Have to wait for that card to get here as I know of two pinouts) as well as SCSI CD-ROM Drive an the relevant Cable & Terminator... CF Cars can wait for the time being and otherwise I'm good to go.

I may still replace the PAS Plus with a PAS16 down the line, but the SBPro compatible Plus is good for the time being. I will probably only do that if I run into a 16-Bit audio capable game that doesn't support the SoundScape and sounds horrible enough in 8-Bit to upset me, the PAS generally sounds awesome however.

Wow, what a ramble that was.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7182 of 53040, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:
kixs wrote:
tayyare wrote:

I don't think this is true, according to my experience. I have six Voodoo 2's (all 12MB), two Diamond Monsters, a STB, a Creative and two other types. Apart from the two identical Diamond Monsters, only one combination works in SLI, although they work 100% correctly while alone. I tried both original and new drivers (Windows 98 and Windows 95).

Try with this drivers:
http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/news/3dfx/fastvoodoo2_4.6/

These drivers were one of the drivers that I tried, but downloaded from here:

http://www.falconfly.de/voodoo2.htm

I read somewhere (maybe here on vogons) that some chipsets have trouble with mismatched SLI configs (or it could be just a driver issue - chipset driver). If I find the time I can try with my V2's and different chipsets for P1 to Athlon XP & P4. Anyways I prefer V1 and V2 (not SLI) for old systems and games (1996-1998) and V3 for newer (up to 2001).

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 7183 of 53040, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:

I bought this for my 486 Super-OverDrive-Mega-The-Champoins-World-Warrior-Turbo-Editon-Reloaed machine;

Shouldn't you use something a little more Super-OverDrive-Mega-The-Champoins-World-Warrior-Turbo-Editon-Reloaed then? Like a PCI GeForce FX5200 or something even sillier? I wonder if you could run Quake 3 with a GPU like that...

Reply 7184 of 53040, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

I may still replace the PAS Plus with a PAS16 down the line, but the SBPro compatible Plus is good for the time being.

The Pro Audio Spectrum Plus is not SBPro compatible. Only SB 2.0 compatible via the Thunder chipset.

Reply 7185 of 53040, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found that not every v2 card works well in sli. I have 9 cards and creative and diamond don't seem to work or work well with others.

A-trend based cards ( atc, helios and trust voodoo dragon2) all work together very well.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 7186 of 53040, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@devius; I wanted something from the correct era. It's a DOS / Win95 machine anyway so it would be a waste. It also failed to boot when I used a Riva TNT as a placeholder, but that could just be due to me currently using a weak power supply, which will be swapped with the 200W one from my 386 given that thing doesn't need that kind of power (eats about 65-70W at full load it seems).

Apparently the T230 arrived in the UK about 20 minutes ago... The shipping is VERY fast this time. Still have to pay tax on it, but it's almost here.

@carlostex; But the PCM audio is in stereo when I set it up in the games I tested SB Pro the emulation with. I suppose it is possible they are using the same driver for both cards and that it is automatically executing a branch of code intended for the PAS. The A.S.S. uses the same FM driver for all FM cards (That one is mono) so who knows what's going on on the PCM side.

I shouldn't have to fall back on it much anyway as most games from the mid 90's either support the PAS or the SoundScape directly and most of the older games that would be occasionally run on here are either AdLib only or else have no knowledge of stereo cards anyway.

I suppose I'll find out for sure as I test more software.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7187 of 53040, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

@carlostex; But the PCM audio is in stereo when I set it up in the games I tested SB Pro the emulation with. I suppose it is possible they are using the same driver for both cards and that it is automatically executing a branch of code intended for the PAS. The A.S.S. uses the same FM driver for all FM cards (That one is mono) so who knows what's going on on the PCM side.

Those results won't probably be consistent. In my Socket 7 build where i have 4 soundcards, sometimes the AWE64 Gold plays PCM too when i'm running setup for a PAS Plus or XL, it's a side effect sometimes of both cards sharing DMA. It's pretty rare and it happens only in a game or 2.

It could be that the Thunder chipset is responding to some games differently, i highly doubt the native PAS PCM part will respond to SB Pro calls.
But yeah, run some more tests.

Reply 7188 of 53040, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

JUST PAID 15$ EACH FOR THESE. OMFG...

All of these were tested before purchase and they work PERFECTLY.

s1210005_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8o0hxt.jpg

s1210007_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8o0hxk.jpg

s1210008_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8o0hxa.jpg

s1210001_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8o0iw4.jpg

s1210004_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8o0itu.jpg

s1210009_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8o0it4.jpg

s1210010_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8o0iss.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 7190 of 53040, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice! You guys are lucky there in the US. Over here whenever I find an old brand computer for sale it's usually falling to pieces, super yellow or broken in some way, not to mention expensive. I would love to have an old PS/2 like that 😀 I just like desktop form-factors much more than towers.

Reply 7191 of 53040, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Absolutely agree with devius.
Especially for Russia, where was "iron curtain" back in ussr time, so there almost no transfers cross borders and no old hw at all.
Love desktops too, but this handle on top of aptiva is amazing :)

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 7194 of 53040, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Contains a Gigabyte GA-586ATV motherboard, Cyrix 6x86-166Mhz, 1gig HDD, 16mb RAM, a PCI SB16, and a Pipeline PCI WDC chipset videocard.

20150402_100837.jpg
Filename
20150402_100837.jpg
File size
659.89 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Samsung SyncMaster 750p 17" .26 dot pitch CRT monitor. The "P" in the name signifies it's a professional grade monitor and as such it contains both a D-Sub (VGA) connector and BNC connectors on the back. The control panel pops out in the front. Honestly the best CRT monitor i've ever used. Super crisp image quality and vibrant colors, a truly amazing monitor.

20150402_100800.jpg
Filename
20150402_100800.jpg
File size
821.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I only paid a total of $15 USD for them together as a lot. 😎

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 7195 of 53040, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

JUST PAID 15$ EACH FOR THESE. OMFG...

I had one of those Aptivas back in the day - they're neat, but the drop-door (at least on mine) did not age gracefully. If I remember right there's a black variant of that case too. I also vaguely remember the system having an optional motion sensor accessory, similar to what some of the fancier TI calculators can use. But aside from being a spiffy toy out of the box, it had little utility. If memory serves you could set it up to ring a bell or some-such when it sensed movement, and that was about it. 😊

That PS/2 looks absolutely great btw! 😲

Reply 7196 of 53040, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JidaiGeki wrote:

Hail to the King, baby!

Great prices, love the 50Z especially. What's the Aptiva?

The Aptiva is an A92, it contains a Pentium 166 with 16mb RAM it has basically the same specs as my 1996 Packard Bell Platinum 55 did when it was new / before I upgraded it. It's running Windows 98 though which I intend to fix by installing Windows 95 since it can barely operate like this. 🤣

The Packard Bell is a Legend 2000 Plus Multi-media, it contains a 33.6Mhz 486SX with 8Mb of RAM and a 210mb HDD. The board is a PB430 which (apparently) is a bit uncommon as it is older? (going from what I've been told. 🤣) It's running Windows 3.11 and does so fairly competently, it has a weird crystal sound card so the midi is quite unique sounding. According to the back of the computer it was manufactured on 06/15/1994. The mouse and keyboard are original to the system.

The IBM PS/2 is apparently a 286 running at 10Mhz with 1MB RAM, unsure of HDD size probably around 20MB from what I'm reading online. It's running DOS 5.0 with some sort of shell interface. Here is a picture of it all set up, unfortunately no Model M 🙁
Also my monitor is probably close to death, it's very dark / blue. :'(
s1210012_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8o24b7.jpg

There was another PS/2 there of the same model, a Tandy 1000 (Just the machine, no keyboard or anything), a Tandy 3000 (no keyboard mouse or monitor also it has a bad PSU), some sort of Dell 386 system (I think), and an XT clone without the cover or faceplate.

I might go back and grab the Tandy 3000 but I'm not so sure I need another 286 system after using the PS/2. 😜
However for investing in spares I would totally go back and buy the other PS/2. He also had shit tons of mechanical keyboards and diskette drives.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 7197 of 53040, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Adding another V4-4500 to the H0aRD - this time it's the US AGP version.

RbZZCn.jpg
doqDKZ.jpg
p4VVtk.jpg

Still on the lookout for a EU VoodooMAC 4500 PCI... so if you see one.... (cough)...

0n1CAl.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 7198 of 53040, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

There was another PS/2 there of the same model, a Tandy 1000 (Just the machine, no keyboard or anything), a Tandy 3000 (no keyboard mouse or monitor also it has a bad PSU), some sort of Dell 386 system (I think), and an XT clone without the cover or faceplate.

I might go back and grab the Tandy 3000 but I'm not so sure I need another 286 system after using the PS/2. 😜
However for investing in spares I would totally go back and buy the other PS/2. He also had shit tons of mechanical keyboards and diskette drives.

Tandy 1000!? 3000!? 386 Dell!? and another PS/2 Z for only $15 each! Ummmm....I would grab them all and don't look back.

Great finds btw!

That Aptiva you have there is just like one I just found last year at a recycler. Got it for about $15 as well. It was like my first computer I had in college, except the one I had in college was a P75, but it looked exactly the same with that cool spring loaded front cover.

Reply 7199 of 53040, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

Adding another V4-4500 to the H0aRD - this time it's the US AGP version.

Boxed Voodoo4 is always nice to have. 😀
I've noticed you have a ton of 3dfx stuff - just out of curiosity... is any of your V4 4500 AGP revision 3900 (board manufactured in 39th week of 2000)? I have one myself and it seems to be very rare - I've watched hundreds of V4 photos and not a single one of them was rev 3900.

http://hw-museum.cz/data/vga/pic/big/3dfx_Voo … rev._3900_B.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware