VOGONS

Voodoo2 vs. Voodoo3/5

Topic actions

First post, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everybody. Go ahead an count me as yet another poor soul who wants to spend a lot of time and money to put a retro rig. What i'm looking to play are games like:

ATF // USNF
Mechwarrior
Earthsiege
Falcon 4
Turok
Tomb Raider
Need for Speed -- all kinds
Longbow 2
Commander Keen
Jazz the Jackrabbit
zNES and N64 emu

So far what i have is an ABIT KT7A /w athlon 1.4 and 512-768 of ram.

For sound purposes i'm going to get a AWE32 or 64 and a yamaha DB. (I'm only gonna have one ISA slot.. and i need a sucka-free soundcard)

So here is my big stump (and yes.. i have spent all day reading these forums and other places)... Do i want to get Voodoo2 SLI and some other card (prolly a ati9250).. or go with a voodoo3/5. To give you an idea video card backround.. i used a Rage128 for years, that i have used in multiple systems.. and just recently i got a 7600gt for my main PC. All this GLide stuff has passed me by until just recently old game spicked up my interests.. now i'm like.. huh.. i played those games... i didn't have that thingy.. hmmm..

My major concerns are the compatibility of post banshee stuff in the older games.. which so far the best of what i can tell is only the "voodoo 1" games. Plus the VESA side of the card seems to be good stuff aswell. The FSAA stuff in the 5 seem cool too.. but deff not a deal breaker.

I like the voodoo2 since i believe it to be more compatible and well.. retro. Major geek points for having the ORIGINAL SLI. I don't like the pass through or having to hunt down 2 identical ones.

For sake of simplicity i like the idea of a voodoo5. I would also like to use this box to play civ4 and the Sims2.. playable.. don't really care about quality in those games. but i don't know if the power of the v5 can take it. Now if this is the case.. i'll have to have at least 2 cards.. one for newer stuff/2D and the other for GLide. It seems that the v5 PCI is just as hard to track down as the identical v2's... and unless my main accelerator has crappy 2d the v3 won't matter as much... so i would rather get the cool points.

Right? this is where i ask for y'alls input.

Reply 1 of 67, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The passthrough of the V2 made the 2D quality of the main graphics card redundant. Meaning everything that was not rendered on the V2 and only passed through looked not as good as it looked without the V2 (I did have one, so I'm not just repeating others words)
Don't know about the V3 but I was happy with my V5. But yes, a V5 PCI is hard to come by and I do remember that old games needed some tinkering to work on the V5 (and V3?).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 67, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Believe me the v5 does sound like the way to go. I mean.. as far as pass through on v2 goes i can deal with it in one way or another... so that and the issues of procurement aside..

Can anyone tell me if any of the games i listed work (or look) better in a v2 than in a v3/v5? If anyone knows where i can see screen shots of of v2 vs v5 /w AA?

The only modernish games that I would want to play are Civ4 and the Sims 2. And I know that with a decent proc and a raedeon 7000 they are defiantly playable. So if the v5 can out class that GPU I think it just might work.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 4 of 67, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Voodoo3 and 5 will just look better because of the removal of the pass-thru cable. They are obviously going to be faster too. Voodoo5 adds 32-bit color depth too. Its anti-aliasing is quite good, but it does drag down performance quite a bit. Go look up reviews of it. They will have screenshots.

A Voodoo5 will definitely give a Radeon 7000 a run for its money. And there are 3rd party drivers out there with DirectX8 support so it should work with stuff like Civ4 perhaps. No guarantees though. Voodoo5 is DirectX 6 technology.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=923
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=1276

Drivers available at http://www.falconfly.de

Reply 5 of 67, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

V5 prices are just nuts! 🙁

Also, why no mention of 4? Did 3DFX just decide to skip 4 that day?

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 6 of 67, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

V5 prices are just nuts!

Huh? Just a quick glance at eBay shows me a couple of V5s that have not much of a price going for them... Well, at least not the AGP ones.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 67, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah the v5 agp prices are deff. reasonable. besides mike.. i have an idea of what you paid for that roland daughterboard i saw in another thread. that said.. even going with a PCI can't really front on that. 😜 the voodoo5 is like 2x v4 but one single card to go on.. wiki says they are still in the same family.. using the vsa-100 chip.

swaaye:... that was some good info. that review wasn't very nice to that card.. FPS wise that geforce 2 GTS kinda walked all over it. i guess my big benefit will be the FSAA in the older games.

so now what i have found is that v5 dosn't have any hardware t&l. This is a major problem for civ4.. the sims can compensate by having a faster processor (my board has support for up to 2600+ t-bred).

based on the review: the 3dfx drivers have a feature called "geometry assist" that uses the processor to sort it out. it was disabled because it was glitch in most games. I'm sure that is the case on the original drivers.

So i went to the website with the new drivers.. since it looks like the 3rd party stuff supports from directx 8 to some stuff in nine. I love the EA games website.. it says min video requirements for civ4 is directx 9c.. but in the recommended it says directx 8. sounds like its gonna be interesting. I think this is what i like most about building this rig.. there are so many different gotchas.. there is no perfect solution. Simply prioritize and then optimize.

Reply 8 of 67, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah 3dfx never got a card out with HW T&L. Geometry "assist" is just a software-based equivalent that may or may not work, as you read. I've never even messed with it. Games of those days didn't need it at all. I wouldn't be surprised if "geometry assist" was added solely to get a few extra points in 3Dmark.

GeForce 2 GTS was out of Voodoo5's league. If V5 had come out when it was supposed to, it would've been up against GeForce 256 and that is a much better match-up. Of course, today the performance differences between GF2 and V5 are rather academic, but V5 definitely has much better AA and it has Glide support. Both of those features and the fact that most GF256 and GF2 cards are blurry as hell, makes Voodoo5 not nearly as bad as the plain performance numbers may make it appear.

And, if you like games that use the original Unreal engine, Glide on Voodoo5 is vastly superior to D3D on any card from those days. It's more than just performance, too. Glide is what that engine was built around and you get the most bug-free output from it. Excepting the recent OpenGL renderer from Chris Donhal, however. 😀

Reply 9 of 67, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah dood for sure i'm set on getting the v5. is it sad though if now i DO want to get the pci version? 🤣...cost wise i doubt i'm going to do that. prolly gonna have to settle for a fx5500 pci or some other raedon if i want hw t&l. one thing i did find interesting though.. was that the 3rd party drivers seemed to stop at dx8 on windows 9x. the dx9c stuff was 2k/xp only. maybe i need to look a little closer..

at any rate.. i'm going to try to land the agp version this weekend.. i'll give it shot and see where it goes from there.

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 10 of 67, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That the card's driver are only DX8 compatible doesn't mean you can't install DX9, it only means that certain DX9c features may not be availlable. So you will probably be good to install the game and even play it in Win9x

Reply 11 of 67, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mike 01Hawk wrote:

V5 prices are just nuts! 🙁

Also, why no mention of 4? Did 3DFX just decide to skip 4 that day?

Um, there is Voodoo4 4500, which only has one VSA-100 chip. It's not worth it, though. It can only do 2x FSAA, and if you decide to not use AA, Voodoo3 is much better choice.

prophase_j wrote:

Can anyone tell me if any of the games i listed work (or look) better in a v2 than in a v3/v5? If anyone knows where i can see screen shots of of v2 vs v5 /w AA?

Be cautious; old GLide games may not work with Voodoo5. Archimedean Dynasty is an example --check Silent Loon's thread here.

akula65 wrote:

I can sympathize with your plight. I remember trying to get the 3dfx patch to work on a Pentium MMX 233 MHz processor with a Creative Labs Voodoo2 card years ago. I also tried to get it to work in a Pentium III 933 MHz system with a Voodoo5 card. Unfortunately, I didn't take any notes, so I can't remember exactly what I did. I do recall that I had zero success getting 3dfx support to work with the Voodoo5.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 12 of 67, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So what other things won't work on the v5.. other than that game. Personally i have never played it or heard about it until very recently.. but i did read about it. is it one of those v1 games? the kind that access the hardware directly? if it is just that one and a few other.. probably not going to be a big deal. If compatibility was the main concern.. i'd still be back on get v2 SLI.

As far as driver dx8/9 goes... i'm figuring those 3rd party driver do what the 3dfx one were up.. as far as using the processor it do things like pixel shader. So i figure in worst case i can dual boot.. i'll save the XP partition for the new games and everything else will be 98 and dos 6.22. I have also decided i'm going to put a pci u160 scsi card and a 10k rpm disk... since that is the largest bottleneck

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 13 of 67, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
prophase_j wrote:

So what other things won't work on the v5.. other than that game. Personally i have never played it or heard about it until very recently.. but i did read about it. is it one of those v1 games?

Yup. Many V1 games may not work on Voodoo5, or Voodoo3 for that matter. It seems Voodoo2 has better chance to run V1 games.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 14 of 67, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

let's put it another way:

If you want 100% Glide compatibility in every way, you have to use a Voodoo1. A Voodoo2 may be able to be coerced into playing the older games too, but it's not a guaranteed thing.

Voodoo Banshee/3/4/5 have considerable advantages over Voodoo1/2/Rush. Unless you are sure you want to play those Glide games that probably won't work on on a Banshee/3/4/5, I wouldn't even consider a 1/2/Rush. Blurry and slow the 1/2/Rush are. Limited to low resolutions too. 1024x768 can only be done with SLI'ed Voodoo2 cards. V1 is 640x480, V2 is 800x600. There are some games that go a bit higher by forgoing a z-buffer, but performance becomes questionable anyway and you can't skip the z-buffer and not have rendering issues. Voodoo Banshee/3/4/5 can do any resolution.

Reply 15 of 67, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So what are the V1 "only" games? The pack in Mech Warrior comes to mind, or can that be supported by later gens?

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 16 of 67, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

A Voodoo2 may be able to be coerced into playing the older games too, but it's not a guaranteed thing.

set SST_GRXCLK=90
set SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4
set SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1
set SST_VOUT_CLKDEL=0x0
set SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2

Mike 01Hawk wrote:

So what are the V1 "only" games? The pack in Mech Warrior comes to mind, or can that be supported by later gens?

Try this, although it's actually list of DOS GLide games instead of Voodoo1-only games.

Reply 17 of 67, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I would suggest that most if not all of those dos only games won't work with a Voodoo5 (well I've heard of some V5 Tomb Raider patch, but don't know if it really works).

Still you might get them working with a V2.

Mechwarrior 2 3dfx Version is allready Win95, but special anyway, as I had difficulties to get it runnig even with a Voodoo 1. It uses a quite early version of the glide api and will not run with later ones.
(see: http://www.geocities.com/k_lupinsky/ )

There is a another option if you have time and both cards laying around:
Using a Voodoo1 and a V5 in one system. But you might have to do some driver tweaking and "glide switching", and as you can't play all games at the same time it might be too much hassle after all.

Reply 18 of 67, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update:

So intrestlingly enough.. I ended up getting an EPOX board that is almost identical to the Abit. Same chipset though. Waiting on ebay to get my v5.... at the recycling center is was at they had a v3 3k for $2.. so picked it up. I decided i want to jump in and get my system built 😀

Fired up Janes f15 and dang.... all i can say is that i don't remember it looking anything like that!!!

Now i really can't wait to get my v5 and crank the AA up

"Retro Rocket"

Reply 19 of 67, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
prophase_j wrote:

I ended up getting an EPOX board that is almost identical to the Abit.

Would that be the KTA3+(Pro)? A very nice board, had one of these for years (survived 4 CPUs, from Duron 800 up to AXP 1700+). Could do 150 MHz FSB easily. Those were the days... 😉