Roland SCC-1A : how rare are they?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 68, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

I was looking at getting one of those but without a card that you can use it with, it's not much use and the cards are almost always expensive unless you manage to find a seller who doesn't know what they have and puts it up for a ridiculously low BIN which usually gets snapped up within minutes of being listed. 🙁

yeah, there are, atm, a pair of MPU-401AT boxes and one MPU-IPC-T box for sale. iirc they have been permanently listed on ebay since last year (people are just smarter than the sellers i guess). i'm not sure i can find the proper cards separately, it's too much of a hassle.

From another thread here, i found out there's this CMS-401 card which is 100% Roland compatible, i'm not sure just how many of them out there for us to pick...

Reply 41 of 68, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All SCC-1 cards I have seen (except one!) have this written on their PCB:
SCC-1 MAIN BOARD

One SCC-1 card I have seen has this written on its PCB:
SCC-1A MAIN BOARD

I guess the "B" version has B instead of A written on it. I have heard that there are some SCC-1 cards (without the letter A or B) have 354 sounds on them, but I can't verify this with any evidence.

Edit: I forgot to say that the ebay auction mentioned previously had no A or B letter printed after the SCC-1 on the PCB, and so therefore it was probably a regular card, and not an A or B card.

Reply 42 of 68, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Isn't the SCC-1 also a midi port?

Meaning you could use it as a very "feature rich" MPU401 card...

EDIT: That CM-500 we talked about earlier, went for US$ 400...

Reply 43 of 68, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Isn't the SCC-1 also a midi port?

Meaning you could use it as a very "feature rich" MPU401 card...

yep it is also an MPU-401 interface -- a very "excessively feature rich" one indeed 😁

EDIT: That CM-500 we talked about earlier, went for US$ 400...

😳 🤐

Reply 44 of 68, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

I guess the "B" version has B instead of A written on it.

According to some threads over at QuestStudios, the cards in the SCC-1B package are also silkscreened with SCC-1A.

Reply 45 of 68, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
All SCC-1 cards I have seen (except one!) have this written on their PCB: SCC-1 MAIN BOARD […]
Show full quote

All SCC-1 cards I have seen (except one!) have this written on their PCB:
SCC-1 MAIN BOARD

One SCC-1 card I have seen has this written on its PCB:
SCC-1A MAIN BOARD

do you mean this one?

3510706950_eb37a41909_o.jpg
3500261747_d04457187a_o.jpg

yes, just seen that

I guess the "B" version has B instead of A written on it. I have heard that there are some SCC-1 cards (without the letter A or B) have 354 sounds on them, but I can't verify this with any evidence.

Edit: I forgot to say that the ebay auction mentioned previously had no A or B letter printed after the SCC-1 on the PCB, and so therefore it was probably a regular card, and not an A or B card.

but there's this extra "bonus pack" manual (different layouts from the above one):

IMAG0087.jpg

then again, from the FAQ i linked before, the author even has an older plain SCC-1 card which turned out to have the extra tones...

😖

Reply 46 of 68, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

I have heard that there are some SCC-1 cards (without the letter A or B) have 354 sounds on them...

Well, well, well, if it isn't my favorite unsubstantiated internet rumor... 😠

archsan wrote:

...then again, from the FAQ i linked before, the author even has an older plain SCC-1 card which turned out to have the extra tones...

I wouldn't implicitly trust that FAQ. The author's "test" for the extra tones is completely bogus.

Reply 47 of 68, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

I have heard that there are some SCC-1 cards (without the letter A or B) have 354 sounds on them...

Well, well, well, if it isn't my favorite unsubstantiated internet rumor... 😠

oops sorry have i said something wrong? 😦 😊

Reply 49 of 68, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

External SC-55 and SC-55 MK 2 are much much easier to find...

Can't say it better.

Just a few days ago, i let that SCC-1 go away... but now i have the chance to go check a used SC-55MkII locally!!! (yeah, right, outside ebay, less than 20km away from me! 😮 )

The good thing is i won't have to find myself the proper adaptor for where i live, and of course no shipping hassle and zero waiting time.

It's offered at ~USD 110 (that last SCC-1 went for USD 127 excl. shipping), Do you think it is a good deal?

(i can still make an offer though)

Reply 50 of 68, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
archsan wrote:
Can't say it better. […]
Show full quote
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

External SC-55 and SC-55 MK 2 are much much easier to find...

Can't say it better.

Just a few days ago, i let that SCC-1 go away... but now i have the chance to go check a used SC-55MkII locally!!! (yeah, right, outside ebay, less than 20km away from me! 😮 )

The good thing is i won't have to find myself the proper adaptor for where i live, and of course no shipping hassle and zero waiting time.

It's offered at ~USD 110 (that last SCC-1 went for USD 127 excl. shipping), Do you think it is a good deal?

(i can still make an offer though)

I'd try to haggle but if he's asking $110 I wouldn't expect him to budge much on the price. He must have at least a reasonable suspicion of what these things normally change hands for these days. If you absolutely can't live without it and don't think another one will come along at a lower price for a long time then go for it. Any one you find on ebay will probably be about the same price and you'll have to add shipping to that and take the risk that it won't be lost, stolen or damaged in transit.

Reply 51 of 68, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

I'd try to haggle but if he's asking $110 I wouldn't expect him to budge much on the price. He must have at least a reasonable suspicion of what these things normally change hands for these days. If you absolutely can't live without it and don't think another one will come along at a lower price for a long time then go for it. Any one you find on ebay will probably be about the same price and you'll have to add shipping to that and take the risk that it won't be lost, stolen or damaged in transit.

Thanks, i just realized he originally listed it at ~$140 thirteen days ago -- i guess no one's really interested (until i saw it) so i hope i can push it down a little bit ^^

i have yet to see an SC-55MkII sold/won for less than $60 on ebay indeed (the threshold needed to match this offer before shipping cost etc, not counting the risks you said above)

Reply 52 of 68, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

110 is still kinda a lot of money, especially for something outside ebay. I guess it's a fair price, but it surely isn't a bargain...

Have you looked for the Roland SC-55ST? This is a version of the SC-55 MK II but without display (low cost version)...

I would definitely try to get a better price. You don't get unless you ask!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 54 of 68, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
archsan wrote:

Can't find an SC-55ST for sale local or online

hoping i can get it down to 80's..

I have one for sale.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 55 of 68, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, seeing no bids and 12hrs left, I thought someone here might be interested, even if somewhat costly (starting bid 5 times what I paid for mine 🤑 ) :

item=280558433114

And, for the heck of it (a 'bit' pricier):

item=350390274267

17hrs to go

(posting numbers only, as the links makes vogons throw up a '500 server not found' when hitting 'Submit')

Reply 56 of 68, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But these aren't SCC-1s 😉

Whenever I see a CM-500 I scratch my head as it was one of the last modules made, I doubt (m)any (MT-32 and compatibles) games where composed with it and it has the faster vibrato issue...

And for General Midi I believe composers used a SC-55 anyway.

It certainly isn't worth three times the price of a CM-64...

The CM-64 however for 100 bucks + 50 shipping I think is ok...

Reply 57 of 68, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CM-64 sold for US $152.50, CM-500 sits at $370.00. Last auction I saw a CM-500 went for 400 bucks.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 59 of 68, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm the one who won the bidding on the SCC-1 with Bonus Pack manual. If the SCC-1 FAQ cannot be trusted, then does anyone have MIDI files that I could use to check if this is 317 or 354 sound version?
I have MPU-401AT + SCD-15 combination so I have 354 sound version for comparison. I can do some recordings if the SCC-1 turns out to be the 317 sound version.