VOGONS

First post, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quick question - I couldn't find a google explanation.

Why does the default SB Pro compatibility for Aureal Vortex2 boards use two DMA channels? The default is both 1 and 3 in Windows 98. If I override the default settings and use Basic Configuration 0004 (in my case), I can get it to just use IRQ 7 and DMA 1, with no second DMA channel.

Everything works, so I don't know if I am losing anything by doing this, but I just wanted to know why the SQ2500 board defaults to using two DMA channels.

Reply 3 of 7, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
valnar wrote:

Does anyone else have two DMA's assigned with their Vortex card with SB Pro compatibility mode? Even if I never figure out why, I want to see if I'm alone. 😳

Same thing here. I have a Diamond Monster MX300, and by default it uses DMA 1 and 3 in Windows 98. This setup created a DMA 3 conflict with ECP printer port, so like you, I also changed the SB Pro emulation settings to Basic configuration 0004, which only uses DMA 1, as you said.

Reply 4 of 7, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
valnar wrote:

Does anyone else have two DMA's assigned with their Vortex card with SB Pro compatibility mode? Even if I never figure out why, I want to see if I'm alone. 😳

As I answered you here: X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM and 'Can't find X-Wing CD' / problems with MX300 - you're not alone 😀.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 6 of 7, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are some other soundcards that use 2 DMA's, even if they are not SB16 compatibles. ESS1868 use DMA's 1 and 3 (or 0) by default. Some chipsets that are both SB Pro and WSS compatibles use 2-3 DMA's. Best I can think of are Crystal 4232/4235/4236/4237.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)