VOGONS

First post, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's been a while since I last fiddled with a proper autoexec/config setup on a real DOS machine. So when I dug out my 486 - an IBM Aptiva 330 with some pretty major internal mods, not the least of which was a Roland MT-32 - I was eager to try some of my games on it to relive those old memories of System Shock.

Except evidently, the last time I used this machine, I had disabled the CD-ROM support, and I wasn't smart enough to just REM out the MSCDEX stuff. Starting the MSCDEX essentially from scratch, this is what I came up with:

[AUTOEXEC.BAT]
@ECHO OFF
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS;C:\
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
c:\dos\mouse
REM c:\dos\share.exe /l:500 /f:5100
c:\dos\doskey
REM LH c:\dos\mscdex.exe /V /L:D /D:MSCD0001
REM LH c:\dos\mscdex.exe /E /V /L:D /D:MSCD0001
c:\dos\mscdex.exe /V /L:D /D:MSCD0001

[CONFIG.SYS]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
rem device=C:\dos\emm386.exe highscan noems I=e000-f4ff x=f500-feff
device=C:\dos\emm386.exe highscan I=e000-f4ff x=f500-feff
device=c:\dos\ramboost.exe load
REM LASTDRIVE=G
LASTDRIVE=D
dos=high
BUFFERS=10,0
FILES=50
FCBS=4,0
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS /P /E:512
STACKS=9,256
DEVICE=C:\DOS\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:MSCD001
rem DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5
rem DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS

Yes, I know they're messy. Especially Autoexec: I've got three different MSCDEX strings up there, from previous failed attempts at getting it working (I just REM'ed them out at the moment).

Now, in theory, this should be working - I followed this basic guide to kind of get a feel for what I was doing again - but upon booting, the system spits this out at me:

ATAPI IDE CD-ROM device driver version V 0.01 (04/13/1994) 1 drive(s) detected unit 1, MASTER, IRQ 15, I/O address 0x0170 [...mo […]
Show full quote

ATAPI IDE CD-ROM device driver version V 0.01 (04/13/1994)
1 drive(s) detected
unit 1, MASTER, IRQ 15, I/O address 0x0170
[...mouse driver stuff...]
Device driver not found: 'MSCD0001'.
No valid CDROM device drivers selected

Now, somehow I'm gathering from this that I can't just call the CDROM device anything I want (i.e. I'm supposed to put some specific thing into autoexec/config other than MSCD0001). This machine does have Windows 3.11 installed on it, if that's of any consequence.

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 1 of 4, by jthieme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The device name in the MSCDEX needs to match the device name specified by the CD Driver in config.sys. i.e.

This:
c:\dos\mscdex.exe /V /L:D /D:MSCD0001

Needs to match this:
DEVICE=C:\DOS\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:MSCD001

Looks like you just have an extra 0

Reply 4 of 4, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, it's an alright system, seems like the only real problem with it so far is that it doesn't have quite enough memory (4 MB but a lot of it is taken up on bootup making things run slow or not at all...). I might have to see if I have any old RAM lying around.

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png