VOGONS

First post, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I confess, I never paid much attention to the SB16 series, as I found the sound quality and / or SNR rather mediocre. The cards I came along were allways somehow noisy.

Now I stumbled over this card

1f03bc16186979.gif

It is a Soundblaster 16, model no. CT2800 and it has a real OPL3 (!) on it. Chipset is labled "Vibra 16-S" CT2504-TCQ. Sound quality and SNR seem to be okay, at least if you avoid the amplified SPK out and use the line out instead. There is a waveblaster connector on it that also seems to work. It has a jumper to choose the base adress, but the rest (IRQs, DMAs, Midi port adress) are set up by software, so I wonder if it is somehow "half" pnp? I used the standard SBbasic driver package for SB16s for this, you still get it from creative
In the SB diagnostics the channels were reversed - I'm not sure why. Was this a common bug of the SB16s? Same as the infamous SBPro bug?
Does anyone know more about this specific model?
Who produced the vibra chips and what where the differences to the "normal" SB16 chipsets?
Is this card SBpro compatible? (B.t.w.: Is there any way to finally test SBPro compability? - maybe by using a game setup - Dos Soundcard Testing Utility?)
What about the reverse channels?
Which troubles (hanging notes etc.) will I encounter when I finally overcome my SB16 aversion?

Reply 1 of 16, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,2175.0.html
Although its about the AWE 32, you'll also find a lot information that applies to the SB16 (the Vibra chips combine the functionality of multiple chips of the SB16 into one chip). It seems that the Vibra 16 chips (CT2501) and Vibra 16S (CT2504) were bundled with the OPL-3 (or its OPL-3M variant), other Vibras were using the CT1978 chip (Vibra 16 Pro) or had the functionality built-in (Vibra 16C, 16VX). (I compiled this information based on photos of Sound Blasters, so it might not be accurate)

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 2 of 16, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot!

This is really in detail.... Very interesting. So it seems as if I was right when the SNR appeared to be better than with the other SB cards (16 and AWE32) that I have. CT2800 - sounds as if I've got a "lucky card"...

Reply 3 of 16, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do vibra chips have the infamous "hanging note" bug?

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 4 of 16, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Out of curiosity I bought one of these off of ebay for 8 dollars. I have been using a awe64 gold which of course doesn't have the real opl3 chip.

Plugged it in last night and I was blown away. OPL3 music sounds so much better on this board be because of the real Yamaha chip. Granted I am a choir teacher so my ears are pretty sensitive, but wow the sound was better.

I also noticed that there did not seem to be as much static in the digital audio. I looked on the board and it uses a different mixer chip than my AWE64 gold. Could this be the reason?

Reply 6 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was considering getting an ISA SB16 and/or an ISA card with real OPL3. Now I never could decide which one to get, but now I also got me this CT2800. It is an example with real OPL3 ofcourse, with amplifier but without IDE controllers.

Now I used it next to two PCI soundcards in the same system for half a day and did some experimenting (Vortex-2+Daughterboard and an YMF-724).
All that is really required to get the SB16 going is DIAGNOSE /s. Without this command even windows 98 does not detect it. DSP is 4.13. Dos drivers nag about my DOS version being 7.10, and you need "setver" to fool these. Although there really isn't to much of interest in these install packages.

Now I tried a midi daughterboard on the SB16, and it works OK with some games. But in Hexen map E1M2 i could indeed 'enjoy' the hanging note bug. I get similar behaviour with Tie-fighter coll. CD, accompanied by delays between tracks. All midi problems vanish when I disable sound FX in the game and only select music. (nothing new... now If I had two of these SB16 cards?)

Sound Blaster Pro compatibility; I hear the sample, but not in stereo. So it does not offer anything over plain soundblaster compatibility. I mainly tested this with Tie Fighter's sound setup.

OPL3 sounds fine, similar to my YMF-724.

Noise level is OK. Nothing annoying.

Funny thing is you can use vortex-2 dos emulation (au30dos.com) next to
the soundblaster 16. And I set the SB16 up to be used for OPL3 and the vortex-2 for everything else. (but I actually had the YMF-724 for OPL3, so where is the improvement?)

Reply 7 of 16, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just bought another card: SB Vibra 16S CT2890. It also has an OPL3. Apart of some jumpers (I think some of those IDE port jumpers are missing) the only difference seems to be a chip (bigger than the vibra chip) labled CT1705-DCQ - does anyone know what it is good for?

By the way: both cards have a CD/IDE connector.

Reply 8 of 16, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I purchased a CT2800 about a month ago on Ebay. It's a CT2800 SB 16 Vibra with an OPL3 chip. It's great. It is a P&P card so it has to be totally configured on the software side. You have to tell win98 to search for hardware then direct it to the driver. In DOS you pretty much have to manually config everything. But it's a great card.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 10 of 16, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
__U_Dy__ wrote on 2022-04-30, 04:02:

Did Win98 see it by just doing a hardware scan? I bought one from eBay and windows won't detect it.

There is a windows 95 driver you need which will force win98 to detect the card and allow you to install drivers. Go Here: https://support.creative.com/downloads/welcom … erType=1#type_1

Download and run this. Once it's finished extracting. You need to run Upddrv95.exe, this will force windows 98 to detect the card.

For DOS go here: https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php … driverid=126022 (CLICK THE FILE NAME AND DOWNLOAD THE DRIVER ONLY, DON'T DOWNLOAD THEIR GARBAGE SOFTWARE)

Copy the vibra16 folder to a directory in DOS, run INSTALL.exe.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.

Reply 11 of 16, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sly_Botts wrote on 2022-05-14, 00:57:
There is a windows 95 driver you need which will force win98 to detect the card and allow you to install drivers. Go Here: http […]
Show full quote
__U_Dy__ wrote on 2022-04-30, 04:02:

Did Win98 see it by just doing a hardware scan? I bought one from eBay and windows won't detect it.

There is a windows 95 driver you need which will force win98 to detect the card and allow you to install drivers. Go Here: https://support.creative.com/downloads/welcom … erType=1#type_1

Download and run this. Once it's finished extracting. You need to run Upddrv95.exe, this will force windows 98 to detect the card.

For DOS go here: https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php … driverid=126022 (CLICK THE FILE NAME AND DOWNLOAD THE DRIVER ONLY, DON'T DOWNLOAD THEIR GARBAGE SOFTWARE)

Copy the vibra16 folder to a directory in DOS, run INSTALL.exe.

Morning people, sorry to necropost, but I have been pulling out my hair for hours.

The link listed here for Creative's site is dead.

I can get the card to work in MS-DOS with the setblaster line and using setup programs, however I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get the damn Windows drivers to work.

It is recognized in Device Manager as one of the three.
SB 16, SB16 compatible, AWE 32 (sb16 compatible or similar)

I know, KNOW, they made Windows 95/98 drivers for this card, but unfortunately because of dreaded link rot my google searches are starting to turn up more and more dead links.

I have checked, and done a cursory glance of the vogons driver repository, but I feel like I am missing something.

Can anyone please help me?

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 12 of 16, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did find these drivers.
Listed on the Dell website.
I will try these later.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drive … driverid=r19300

Reply 13 of 16, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dosquest wrote on 2023-06-06, 17:12:
I did find these drivers. Listed on the Dell website. I will try these later. https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drive … […]
Show full quote

I did find these drivers.
Listed on the Dell website.
I will try these later.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drive … driverid=r19300

Here, I uploaded this to my google drive. Everything you need is in this file. Now there might be some redundancy but anyone with the ability to build a vintage win98/DOS should be able to figure it out. These will work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X9-WeMzM26-l … iew?usp=sharing

Reply 15 of 16, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2023-06-06, 23:52:

Why not upload to vogonsdrivers?

I guess... I'd assumed they're already there.

Reply 16 of 16, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are able to, please upload the drivers to the vogonsdrivers repository.

Also, I found an awe32Value card in a box of spare parts, so I swapped for that, so I guess problem solved...