VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Type of CPU and also approximate Mhz speed please.

Thanks very much.

Reply 1 of 13, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The fastest DX4 was 100 MHz (from Intel). The fastest 486 was the AMD 5x86-P75 running at 133 MHz (there were planned faster ones with 150 and 166 MHz, but never officially released) and it is rated similar to the Pentium 75. The slowest Pentium II is 233 and is faster than the best Pentium (not counting the mobile variants) the MMX 233 MHz. From AMD the K5 and first K6 parts would be between DX4 and PII. All NexGen CPU also fit in between. From Cyrix: 5x86, 6x86 and 6x86MX (and maybe also the slowest MII). And the IDT Winchip and Rise mp6.
Check this list - it lists all Pentium-class CPUs.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 3 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

K5's have sucky floating point though.
My 'in the middle' would be the Pentium 100-166MHz range. (200MHz seems significantly speedier)

Also comfortably in the middle is the K6 233, which is nowhere near P2 233 performance in my experience.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake performances, my own test timerefresh

AM5x86-133 @ 120MHz - 8fps
AM5x86-133 @ 160MHz - 11fps
Pentium 100MHz - 21fps
Pentium 166MHz - 24fps
Pentium II 233MHz - 57fps

You decide which is in the middle 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 13, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some Turbo Pascal games (like Jazz Jackrabbit) had problems with CPU speeds higher than 200Mhz and generate a Runtime error 200.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_Pascal#Iss … fast_processors

Granted there is a binary fix for some of those files, but if you want to play the original executable without modification, keep the CPU speed below 200Mhz. And FWIW, I've found that some of those games tend to run a bit fast on a 200Mhz anyway, which is why I built a 166.

Reply 12 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now I'm going to suggest the obvious: Why not take a fast K6 (preferably one with internal L2 cache, like the K6-III or the K6+ versions)?
These CPUs have open multipliers, so you can set them to any speed in their range, which starts about 100-166 MHz and ends about 400-500 MHz (depending on board and CPU model). The multiplier of the K6+ variants even can be set per software without needing to reboot.

BTW, these would be a perfect fit for the MSI board you're considering buying in your other thread.

Reply 13 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: "I'm going to suggest the obvious..."

Please believe me, to me nothing is obvious! 🤣 I'm what you might call a "slow learner". 😉

Thanks for the K6 advice! 😀

I think I might get a couple of those MSI boards, but unfortunately the seller won't tell me what the board revisions are - (he might be too lazy to look them up.) I am worried I might get an early revision board, and the AGP might be a bit poor perhaps?

Still, I might go ahead and take the risk..!