VOGONS

First post, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried buying these secondhand, but cache sets of 512kb or 1mb are extremely scarce, because this was very expensive in the day.

Since all this memory used on videocards and motherboards is standard the other option would be to buy them new, although this would be expensive.

Now, I looked into this, but there are so many variables and possibilities in IC land it is very hard as a layman to make sure you buy the right thing.

I've looked up the datasheets of the regular (small) cache chips that make up the most seen 256kb and I have and tried going from there, but still there would be the possibility of buying the wrong one.

Can someone give me some pointers on this matter?

This is not a QEMM error.

Reply 1 of 5, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been thinking of doing the same and snatch the chips from an early Pentium mobo which sometimes had this type of chips...so maybe you should keep a lookout for an old board that will cost peanuts?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 5, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just keep buying old motherboards, when I see cache chips on the photo 😀. Of course sometimes you end up with a bunch of 128 kb 25 ns chips, so you need also some luck (unless the photos of the sold mobo are high-quality so you can see what chips are used).

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 3 of 5, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Buying up old motherboards is not the solution, unless you are someone like Amigaz and are doing it anyway.

The expenses will be terrible and the returns will be almost nothing.

Maybe that would work with chips from an early Pentium board, but it would be difficult to say those are internally the same. There are a lot of variations out there as any quick look at the datasheets will show.

It is worth a try being fully informed there is a set of 1mb on the board.

Reply 4 of 5, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I don't buy every motherboard, but if I see 10 motherboards: some with cache, some with RAM, some with CPUs, then spending 15-20 Euro including shipping is not a problem, since after removing all parts I need I can sell them for a similar price.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 5 of 5, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When you do that the amount of time you spent looking up prices for the things you want to sell, talking with potential buyers, shipping packages, &c. will be very costly.

In essence you will be losing money.

If you have a 1mb set you wish to sell I'll buy from you at market value.