VOGONS

First post, by max1961

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know if the G25 will work in Windows 98? The logitech web site only has drivers for Vista, XP, and 2000. I really like to use this wheel on my Win98 PC (via KVM switch).

Reply 3 of 13, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm Not apologising for thread resurrection here due to the following information..

I got my Logitech G25 working very nicely in Win98se with the Logitech LGS460 drivers. It is seen as a Logitech Driving Force Pro USB but everything
works except the Clutch, which isn't very important, especially as it's hardly used and most old games don't support it anyway.

I tested in Colin Mcrae Rally 1 and it was all good. The force feedback is quite rubbish in this game as it just rattles the wheel to varying
degrees but otherwise it all tested ok. Had to set Pedals to combined axis otherwise I had no acceleration or braking.

Hopefully someone else will find this googling around. I found this out on a foreign website using google translate.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 8 of 13, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Imperious!

Thanks for the info. So, uhm, Colin Mcrae Rally 1 supports vibration only? No real forcefeedback? Right now I'm also looking for a wheel to use it on my retro win98 PC. Especially in Need for Speed 5 Porsche Unleashed. This game has fantastic force feedback (you can really feel the car). Could you please test how G25 works in that title if you have it?

The reason I am asking is that vibration only may be pointing to the fact that the wheel still does not initialize properly and hence not fully recognized by the drivers.

MB: Asus P3B-F 1.03 (2x ISA)
CPU: PIII-S 1.4GHz/VIA C3 800MHz
RAM: 256MB PC133
Video: GeForce 4600Ti/Voodoo 5 5500/Voodoo 3 3500 for DOS Glide
Audio: SB16 OPL3 + Audigy Platinum Ex

Reply 9 of 13, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Imperious wrote:

I'm Not apologising for thread resurrection here due to the following information..

I got my Logitech G25 working very nicely in Win98se with the Logitech LGS460 drivers.

Does anyone have a link for these drivers? My initial searching is not coming up with anything.

I have a Driving Force GT, which will *probably* work too, but I'd like to try it. Without custom drivers it runs in a basic compatibility mode (auto-center, 180 degrees, combined axis), but this isn't ideal.

FYI: For the Porsche Unleashed question, I have successfully installed Porsche Unleashed on my primary Windows 7 gaming PC, and it works GREAT with the wheel. Full force feedback support. So even if you can't get the wheel running on the old system, you should be able to get the game running on a new one instead. That said, I will certainly test it in Win 98 for you as well if I can get those drivers 😀

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it at Download.com:
http://download.cnet.com/lgs460enu-exe/3000-1 … 1_4-157329.html

... and in my case, this makes things worse. The "Driving Force Pro" drivers are marked with the yellow exclamation mark, and the device doesn't function this way. Guess the Driving Force GT isn't close enough to work this way. Either that, or it's because I'm running 98 first edition. It also gave me some bluescreens on disconnect, which was fun. What's less fun is trying to remove the drivers which are sticking around even after the uninstall 😐

What's weirder still, is that after fiddling with all that, manually removing the logitech driver file, and manually telling Windows to use the default HID Joystick driver... it works. The control panel option still (somehow) has the Logitech panel, and the force feedback gimmicks all function correctly there. I had to switch it to combined pedals for it to respond, but respond it did.

After installing NFS Porsche Unleashed, I fired it up and started a quick race. Force feedback.. technically works? But while it seems like vibration is working, the directional effects aren't really happening much at all. I've got the "Road Grip" and "Stick Volume" effects all the way up and zeroed out Engine and Road Effects to prevent them from interfering (both of which work, but just rumble it). It feels like it's trying to do something, but it doesn't end up working at expected.

I also noticed the full range of the gas/brake pedals wasn't quite enough for the game, and I had to blank out the top range with the deadzone adjust. I don't remember that issue on Windows 7.

On the plus side, the game runs better than I expected with an ATI Rage Pro.

Let me compare with the same Wheel on Porsche Unleashed in Windows 7.

... and yeah, the effect is there in Win 7, gone in 98. Granted, the road grip effect isn't great; you either have perfect traction, or absolutely zero when you are skidding, without good directional feedback based on the direction of skid. But either way, the difference is not there when running on Windows 98 at all. At least in the (be it somewhat unusual) configuration I ran the game under.

Reply 10 of 13, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh cool. Seems like this topic loves being resurrected.

The reason I'm asking about NFS PU is that for the wheel I have this noname monster (AVB something something) which from the electronics side looks like a knock-off from another extremely expensive pro-grade wheel made by some corp the name of which I can't remember. Anyway, I'm using sorta hacked drivers from this corp and damn it works great in NFS PU... All those effects with that - I'm going to rip your hands off - motor inside the wheel... But only under Windows 98. In windows xp and later all I'm getting is vibration and driver-side centering.

I would buy a proper modern wheel but I'm interested in working ff in NFS PU. Could you please confirm it in modern OS again, zerker? Before that topic I believed that such a behaviour is because of the Need for Speed which somehow defaults to simpler ff effects in NT systems. Looks like it is not?

Edit: okay, thanks! Saw your edit. Going to shop for a wheel now 😀

Edit 2: If I'm already derailing this thread I sure must finish my business: any tips on installing the game on modern OS? Any community patches or vanilla version? Thanks

MB: Asus P3B-F 1.03 (2x ISA)
CPU: PIII-S 1.4GHz/VIA C3 800MHz
RAM: 256MB PC133
Video: GeForce 4600Ti/Voodoo 5 5500/Voodoo 3 3500 for DOS Glide
Audio: SB16 OPL3 + Audigy Platinum Ex

Reply 11 of 13, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This should be all you need on Windows XP or 7:
http://www.nfscars.net/porscheunleashed/file/9927/

If you are running on Windows 8 or newer, you will also need some way to get back to 60 fps. I just used nGlide and forced the game into GLIDE rendering mode. There may be other solutions; I know I've used a replacement ddraw.dll in some 2D games on Windows 8 when they are throttled by modified backwards "compatibility". I'm sure there's something similar for 3d games.

Reply 12 of 13, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will have to set up my Win98 pc maybe tonight and give this a go. It may well be that even though the G25 works in Win98se, but recognised as a Driving force Pro USB, that may not
be enough for proper force feedback effects.

I did spend quite a while trying to get newer drivers to install in Win98se, by modifying ini files and swapping and renaming files here and there, but was unsuccessful. Back in the day I only
had a Wingman Formula Black that had no FFB, so as long as the wheel works I'm happy. Of Course properly working FFB would be nice though.

I'll report back later after testing HFSPU.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.