VOGONS

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed recently that the CDROM drive in my 486 box (attached to the CT2230) was starting to go a little wonky on me, so I'm thinking of installing a CT2940 alongside it so that I can replace the old drive with a standard ATAPI CDROM drive. I just wonder though, is it even possible to do this, or will the cards conflict with one another? BTW, the reason why I want to keep the CT2230 in there is so that I won't have to lose the CSP chip that's on it.

Reply 1 of 4, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're joking about the CSP chip, right?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 4, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps see if you can find an ISA-based CD-ROM controller card? That way, you are less likely to have hardware resource conflicts. Another idea - can you try slaving your CD-ROM drive off from your HDD?

Reply 4 of 4, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, so I tried swapping the CT2230 for the CT2940, and as it turns out, the CT2940 was dead, so I just went back to using the CT2230 along with its CD drive. The CT2230's drive isn't completely dead yet (I can still read some CDs with it), but once it bites the dust, chances are I probably will just snag myself an ISA ATAPI card, and run a more modern drive off of there. As for slaving it with one of my harddrives, well, I can't really do that because my BIOS lacks ATAPI support, and it can only use two IDE drives at once (I have two hard drives hooked up right now). 🤣