Model-401.jpg
Filename
Model-401.jpg
File size
962.43 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Are Intel Model 401 and iSBC 386 boards can work with normal AT power supply or need a special one?

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 101 of 107, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The ones I have played with work fine with standard PSUs. The additional power connector is for additional 5V. I worked out the pinout for it and modified a PSU with the additional power connector on one of my boards. Then that PSU decided to die on me:-(. Anyway it is not necessary.

The 401 i have not booted, as i don't have the memory card. IIRC the additional set of 3 power connectors on the top right are just connected to the 3 on the top-ish left.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 102 of 107, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you. I have an Intel SBC386AT25F04 but not boot. I thought it might be not boot because it needs a special PSU, but then there is the problem with the motherboard itself. These motherboards look really good.

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 103 of 107, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It may only take 256K simms, also check the jumper settings for the RAM. The large slots take RAM cards, and you have to configure these via the jumper settings too. Also probably best to try standard RAM setting instead of FPM.

Jumpers:
http://web.archive.org/web/20040827214754/htt … -25/jumpers.htm

Failing that, i guess it is time for a POST code diag card.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 104 of 107, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mR_Slug wrote on 2020-09-10, 18:35:
It may only take 256K simms, also check the jumper settings for the RAM. The large slots take RAM cards, and you have to configu […]
Show full quote

It may only take 256K simms, also check the jumper settings for the RAM. The large slots take RAM cards, and you have to configure these via the jumper settings too. Also probably best to try standard RAM setting instead of FPM.

Jumpers:
http://web.archive.org/web/20040827214754/htt … -25/jumpers.htm

Failing that, i guess it is time for a POST code diag card.

Thanks, I have tried to test without memory but with POST code diag card, but the card not powered at all and PSU has turned of itself. This is why I have thought that the borad needs special PSU.

Reply 105 of 107, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Model 401 motherboard needs more information too. This board relies on at least 2 cards, one to have memory and one for making ISA bus to work since there is no 82C206, or DMA, interrupt ICs, timer
etc.

Have photos of these cards for the model 401 motherboard?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 106 of 107, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gona wrote on 2020-09-10, 11:31:

Thank you. I have an Intel SBC386AT25F04 but not boot. I thought it might be not boot because it needs a special PSU, but then there is the problem with the motherboard itself. These motherboards look really good.

Please respond, do you have photos of your board and their cards?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.