VOGONS

First post, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone,

I played with DOS on my P3 PC for a while, and I frequently get hangs or crashes/failures with this message

"CPU Error. Incorrect opcode. Killing process."

in these cases:

1) When trying to run mojo.exe from Diamond Monster 3D driver package version 1.08. With another version of mojo (unknown) it displays something briefly but then will hang with display blacked out. The card itself is detected properly and does run Tomb Raider (3dfx demo). I can't set gamma correction with this card but that's minor problem.

2) In Syndicate, repeated sound problem occuring at random event, especially after (in-game) explosions and quitting mission with Esc (not finished). Sometimes I get back to DOS and the opcode error, other times i get hangs in the game (i must give a screenshot to illustrate it). There is also a hanging low note (hum) after crash/hang that won't disappear until i reboot the system.
SOLVED: EMM386.exe caused this. Also with Ultima 8. Thx gerwin for pointing this out!

After googling, i found these on computing.net:

The message "CPU error: Incorrect opcode. Killing process." doesn't really mean "CPU error" but "program error", which informs t […]
Show full quote

The message "CPU error: Incorrect opcode. Killing process." doesn't really mean "CPU error" but "program error", which informs the user that the program is trying to execute invalid instructions and is stopped by the system (otherwise the system will hang).
P.S. That error message is actually the DOS's protection, which is very similar to the following message in Windows 9x:

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor."

So i turned back to the cards and drivers...

I changed driver--from an older SB16 PnP driver--to Vibra 16 driver i downloaded from Malik's folder (Thanks for that 😀). Both sounds fine when working, but the crash/hang problem remains. I searched for specific Vibra 16xv DOS driver but couldn't find it.
There are also problems with other games/installers. One comes with a message that told me i had IRQ problems--i don't have many cards installed and i have even disabled serial and parallel ports in BIOS.

If it wasn't driver problem, could it be memory problem or something else?

Any help or hint is much appreciated.

Thanks

system spec:
PIII-450
ASUS P2B rev 1.10
128MB RAM (EMS at ~32MB)
Voodoo3
Diamond Monster 3D
SB16 Vibra CT4170 (Vibra 16 DOS driver) set at 220h IRQ:7 DMA:1,1 MIDI at 300h.
MS-DOS 7.10 (downloaded from http://ms-dos7.hit.bg/)

edit: changed title

Last edited by archsan on 2009-07-12, 13:19. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did not read your post too well, but I wonder whether the problem is caused by either the sound or the video card. Maybe remove one of the cards from your system or disable sound to see if the problem remains.

Reply 2 of 8, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, i've tried pulling the soundcard out, and the mojo.exe problem still there. That's not a major problem though. I'm trying now running the soundcard without the Monster 3D, even though i doubt the Monster to be the problem, as Voodoo add-on cards use no IRQ.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 4 of 8, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, have been messing with the soundcard--i plugged it back to the same slot (2nd of 3), but the BIOS didn't detect it. Same with the other slot--i thought it was dead, so i plugged it to the third slot carefully, and the BIOS found it--phew... (got no spare card at this moment). I also tried switching the card's Line Out/Spk Out jumper to Line Out. It's supposed to be cleaner, but i can't be sure about it being less noisier, since i have to max up the card's line and master volume--and the amps that i use--to get almost decent volume. The output is weak. Save it for another discussion.

Anyway, thx tikbalang--so the "opcode error" came from that killer.exe? Well, the message disappear of course, when i don't load the program, now the mojo.exe jfrom diamond driver 1.08 just hangs without warning 😀 (without the monster 3d plugged in--of course i will try again soon with the card plugged in).

However the sound problem in Syndicate remains the same. So does that WC2 installer which gives me message of IRQ conflict. This is without the Monster 3D plugged in, so we can safely assume that the Monster 3D is not the cause. As for that mojo.exe stuff, that doesn't really matter for now. I will focus on the soundcard.

P.S. I found an easy way to replicate the Syndicate sound crash problem: explode something (e.g. self-destruct) and immediately press Esc to quit the mission abruptly. Next i get to the menus, the menu-transition sound will either be chopped at the end or just fine. Then when i get back into a game mission, the 'unfinished' explosion sound continues briefly and the game crashes to DOS, leaving the humming note. At this point, if I run Syndicate again, intro music would playback but sounds disappeared. I have to reboot to remove the humming note or to get the sound back.

Reply 5 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
archsan wrote:

However the sound problem in Syndicate remains the same. So does that WC2 installer which gives me message of IRQ conflict. This is without the Monster 3D plugged in, so we can safely assume that the Monster 3D is not the cause. As for that mojo.exe stuff, that doesn't really matter for now. I will focus on the soundcard.

P.S. I found an easy way to replicate the Syndicate sound crash problem: explode something (e.g. self-destruct) and immediately press Esc to quit the mission abruptly. Next i get to the menus, the menu-transition sound will either be chopped at the end or just fine. Then when i get back into a game mission, the 'unfinished' explosion sound continues briefly and the game crashes to DOS, leaving the humming note. At this point, if I run Syndicate again, intro music would playback but sounds disappeared. I have to reboot to remove the humming note or to get the sound back.

The syndicate sound problem seems familiar, was it not because the game does not like EMM386 loaded? Try to run it with a 'safe-mode' dos prompt.

Reply 6 of 8, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, i will try that, but i should have pointed it before, that when i forgot to enable EMS with EMM386, i had the in-game sound quickly disappear.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 7 of 8, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're right gerwin, thanks a lot! So it's just memory problem after all. I tried booting without EMM386 and now with Syndicate, when i do the explosion and quit, the sound will continue at the start of the next in-game mission, but won't lead to crash. The WC installer now runs fine too. I had similar hang problem with Ultima 8 but it might be just EMM386 problem as well.

Glad it wasn't the card. Though it has no OPL3, it has a DSP v4.16 and usable MPU-401 (guess what, i just won a Roland MT-32 from Australia!), and i read that it has acceptable SNR (around 80dB?). The only problem would be its weak Line output.

Reply 8 of 8, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, since i moved the SB to last slot, it went back auto to the usual 220h, IRQ 5, DMA 1, MIDI 330h... which of course is NOT THAT IMPORTANT... 😀 oh well, i should get a sleep...