VOGONS

Old CD Magazines / Magazine CDs for download

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 78, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well you could copy them to CDRs or make images and put them on DVDRs (whatever) and mail them to me. I don't know what it'd cost to ship to me from your UK stronghold. 😀 I would be happy to upload them.

Reply 23 of 78, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Well you could copy them to CDRs or make images and put them on DVDRs (whatever) and mail them to me. I don't know what it'd cost to ship to me from your UK stronghold. 😀 I would be happy to upload them.

Hehehe...that's a good idea! 😁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 24 of 78, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, make bin/cue of them all and put the images on a hard drive or something, I'm sure someone here would be willing to pay for the drive and the shipping.

(note to all, please don't use iso, much data gets missed, especially on older stuff!)

on a side note, I really need the carmageddon 2 1.2 patch, as it's just not available on the net anymore... only copy I found was corrupted.

Reply 25 of 78, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What gets lost with the ISO format? None of my disks have CD audio so that's not lost. None of them are any of the special disk types. You can be sure that if they had CD audio that I would go CUE/BIN. ISO seems like the natural way to go with a pure data disk. I actually just let IMGBURN pick the image format.

Reply 26 of 78, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At one point with ImgBurn I had read some '98 CGW cover cds to .iso (for personal archival, also they're not as interesting as PCgamer discs), some demo installers were mysteriously lost

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 28 of 78, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the patch link! =]

well I use bin/cue for nearly everything, then I am sure any hidden data (which can be there) is not lost. Just because a cd doesn't have audio tracks, doesn't mean the old protections didn't use sneaky tricks to hide stuff, hehe.

But yeah pure data discs , iso should be fine.

I so miss ftp.cdrom.com 🙁 very hard to find patches and doom wads etc these days... anyone know of a mirror (full) of the old site?

Reply 34 of 78, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just been looking for a driver disk and I came across PCW cover cd's for May 96 and December 96, and Computer Shopper March 96. I expect I can copy them but uploading is probably beyond me.

Also these for Mac:

MacFormat Dec95, xmas95, Mar96, Jul96, Nov96, Dec97

MacAction Jan96, Feb96, Mar96

The Mac Apr96, Aug96, Jan97

These might be more problematic if I need to copy them on my old Mac, though I daresay there will be some way.

Reply 37 of 78, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know I am in deep shit, but I actually believe mac CDs back then had another file system that the usual stuff. But I could actually be very wrong, but why I am saying this, is because I think I have mixed the 3DO´s (the console) Opera File System info with my very poor knowledge of a mac.

Reply 38 of 78, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know much about Macs either but CDROMs follow standards. For filesystems, ISO 9660 is from the '80s and it has been super popular since forever. Some use Joliet (MS made it) which is an extension of 9660. Apparently Apple came up with their own extension too but it's still readable by PCs.

Wikipedia seems to have lots of info about this stuff.

Consoles usually come up with their own thing so PCs can't extract the data easily.