VOGONS

First post, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I randomly decided to go through all the 486 boards I have, 2 are the PCChips boards with either no/fake cache and the other is what I'm playing with now.

Motherboard: MB-4DUPM/E ver2
CPU: 486dx2 @66 (can't be sure it's not a 50, heatsink is on there for good)
Memory: 32MB 72pin
Video: ATI Mach64 PCI
Sound: Yamaha YMF-724 PCI
HD: 1GB Compactflash

I'm not sure what to do with this, it's interesting to tinker with so I may end up making it a nice dos game pc since my 286 struggles with the old games I play.
The BIOS has a weird y2k bug where any date past 2000 automatically becomes 2094, I "fixed" this by editing/building the freedos kernel so the year is always returned as 2010.

I have a few questions though which I haven't had much finding info on:
1) Does a voodoo3 2000 work with the 3dfx version of GTA1?
2) Space not being a concern, what would be better storage? (Compactflash/IDE HDD/SCSI HDD (ISA Controller))

Reply 1 of 10, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sort of a big problem here, I put in my Voodoo3 PCI card but all I get is a red screen.
No post, no drive access just a red screen.

[Added]
On my M919 fake cache 486 it comes up with a green screen but boots with my Mach64 PCI card installed.
A PCI utility shows the Voodoo3 is at least working on the PCI bus.

Maybe the BIOS uses pentium instructions?

Reply 5 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

too bad u can't get a voodoo3 to work... it is a very nice ultra-fast 2D vga, I just tested one on my 5x86/133 machine... also it appers not to be plagued with the scrolling bug that appears in Keen games

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 10, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe all my 486 boards are just low-end garbage 😀
I put my mach64 back in and now I have to try and find a solution to get my 40gb ide hard drive working.

[Edit]
The Mach64 does have the keen scrolling bug, it is fixed with the jerky motion option.
At least in keen4.

Reply 8 of 10, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ahhhhh, thanks for reminding me 😀
Now to get dual boot freedos/win95, throw in a voodoo2, find a case and it'll be good to go.

So far I've been doing all my OS installs on my main PC using a usb adapter since my 486 has
no case and no cdrom.

Reply 9 of 10, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately I couldn't do disk manager because the drive becomes unusable in my linux PC.
This is important since I'm doing all my installs through virtualbox.

Luckily, I found a Promise EIDEMax controller in a box 😀
All I had to do was tinker alot, enable it's bios and at least now it can see 8GB which isn't bad and is certainly much better than 2GB.

Reply 10 of 10, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:
TheLazy1 wrote:

Does a voodoo3 2000 work with the 3dfx version of GTA1?

It didn't when I tried, same for the Banshee.

I just got a chance to try this and GTA1 does work with my Voodoo3.
All I had to do was copy glide2x.ovl from the win9x voodoo3 drivers into the gtados directory 😎

Still, shame it doesn't like any of the 486 boards I have.