FREE* Intel VS440FX mobo + CPU + RAM

Topic actions

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

😁 you pay shipping

A friend of mine wanted me to set up a retro rig for him but I should have known better because he was never gonna use it. Now he's moved and gave it to me. I have too much retro goodness around already and have two of these now.

Intel VS440FX "Venus" Socket 8 motherboard (manual)
Intel Pentium Pro 200MHz w/ 1MB L2 cache (the one that was ~ $2000)
96MB RAM
PPro heatsink with super special 80mm fan

A fabulous platform for an authentic retro rig!!
b8339b72040937.gif

I'm in the USA, btw.

Reply 1 of 35, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

a mobo with twice the main chips of a normal one must be good.... 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 35, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would have went for this baby if it weren't for the case that I got a pile of socket 8 mobo's/machines already 😜

It's a nice mobo, how many machines had full 1mb L2 cache from this period? 😉

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 4 of 35, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup it's one of those black PPros in the newer packaging.

Amigaz, nobody had these CPUs back then because they cost over $2000. They were for DB servers or something, but now they are nearly free so everybody needs one. 😁 Most PPros were the 256K L2 variety, but maybe some few had the 512K ones but they were silly expensive too.

I can't believe that I can't give this thing away. What's going on here!?

Attachments

• ppro1mb.jpg
    Filename
    ppro1mb.jpg
    File size
    7.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 35, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Yup it's one of those black PPros in the newer packaging.

Amigaz, nobody had these CPUs back then because they cost over $2000. They were for DB servers or something, but now they are nearly free so everybody needs one. 😁 Most PPros were the 256K L2 variety, but maybe some few had the 512K ones but they were silly expensive too.

well, if it had been me back then I could have boughjt a system with one of those cpu's but I was nuts back then....back in the days I knew how to save money and not spend it to quickly 😜

Can't understand either why no one jumps on your offer 😕

Reply 6 of 35, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me, it's not that I don't want it... it would be really cool to have. But I already have way more crap than I know what to do with, as it is. I need to get rid of stuff, not add more.

Reply 7 of 35, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The mobo looks awesome and it's a great offer, but I've got some socket 7 mobos and some old classic pentium chips, and also some of the newer mmx chips. Plus a typical slot 1 mobo for P2 & P3 chips. I think for mid/late 90s retro gaming, this is enough for me. Generous offer though, I hope it finds a good home.

Reply 10 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been looking for an ATX pentium pro board for a while now!

If exxe doesn't want it, I'd take it!
Do you still have the IO shield for it?

I'd absolutely love to have it, don't throw it out please!!

Reply 11 of 35, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well a quick look at the post office web site prices says probably $20 to ship to the Netherlands for example. What u guys think?

I don't have a specific IO shield, but if you look at the photo you can see that it has few ports and most of the "generic ATX" case shields work.

I think Amigaz was the first to ask for it so let me know if you want it or not Amigaz!! 😀 If he doesn't then it's exxe or Tetrium.

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-03-16, 19:01. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 12 of 35, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This board does look tempting and I was almost about to pm swaaye, till I saw Tetrium's message. Tetrium wants it more than I do! 😀

@Tetrium : Even if the I/O shield is not available with swaaye, the ATX form factor is a standard Pentium era ATX styled I/O port placements, and you shouldn't have trouble getting one.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 13 of 35, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Well a quick look at the post office web site prices says probably $20 to ship to the Netherlands for example. What u guys think?

I don't have a specific IO shield, but if you look at the photo you can see that it has few ports and most of the "generic ATX" case shields work.

I think Amigaz was the first to ask for it so let me know if you want it or not Amigaz!! 😀 If he doesn't then it's exxe or Tetrium.

I'll pass, since I'm already loaded with socket 8 mobo's I'll rather see it going to someone who's got a hard on for a socket 8 mobo 😀

Reply 14 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, then it's up to exxe, he is the next in line 😉
I hope he passes 🙄
I read the manual and a standard IO shield should fit...or I will make it fit! 😁.

I'm fine with $20 shipping cost, if exxe passes, how will I send you the money?

Reply 18 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've created my first paypal account but it said it takes 5 to 7 days before it's activated. I'll ask my mother if I can borrow her account, I'm pretty sure she'll let me use her account Swaaye 😉