VOGONS

Which Pentium IIs can be underclocked?

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 217, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I just google that 5 digit code, click on the CPU-world entry, and if the stepping is dA0 chances are very good it is not fully locked, if it is dA1 chances are still good, but if stepping is dB0 or later I expect it to be locked.
But I have not seen enough examples to be 100% sure of the above generalisation.

Can't you get a PII CPU for 10 pounds / 10 Euro or less? they should be abundant.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 101 of 217, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote:

Well I just google that 5 digit code, click on the CPU-world entry, and if the stepping is dA0 chances are very good it is not fully locked, if it is dA1 chances are still good, but if stepping is dB0 or later I expect it to be locked.

The SL2S5's stepping is dA1. You think there's a good chance it's not locked and I will be able to underclock it?

gerwin wrote:

Can't you get a PII CPU for 10 pounds / 10 Euro or less? they should be abundant.

There are many at that price, but they're all Klamaths or have a 100mhz fsb. I would like a Deschutes with a 66mhz fsb if possible, because I think they use less power.

Reply 103 of 217, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ux-3 wrote:
:happyhappy: :happyhappy: :happyhappy: […]
Show full quote

😁 😁 😁

I got one!

80523PY400512 SL2S7
98300966-0436 MALAY

This CPU must have been manufactured almost at the same time Tetriums was made. But I am unable to use multipliers over 4x.

What we now need is some information:

What board did Tetrium use?
I used a Chaintech CT-6BTM 😉
3 ISA, 4PCI, AGP and 4 DIMM slots.
It sets the multiplier via the BIOS

Does the CPU truely run at the displayed speed. He should try 66MHz at 5x and see if he gets real 333MHz, with Memtest86 or some other tool that measures.
I was even able to clock one to 366mhz. I could use memtest but frankly I don't see why my results would not be correct. On the other hand, while retesting, I could also check if at 133mhz the cpu cache is disabled like someone else here had reported

Does his board pull the 66/100 sensor low? I read reports that this actually releases the multiplier up to 5.5
What do you mean with that?

Edit: My semi-unlocked P2-400 already has the x5.5 multiplier btw, I didn't need to do anything special to get it. It wouldn't run at x6 though, even though, running at 6x66mhz=400mhz, it would've been running at it's rated speed.
Heres the pic I posed earlier in this topic:
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/inte … um/DSC00272.jpg

Last edited by Tetrium on 2010-06-22, 11:38. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 104 of 217, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

You can see power usage here http://sandpile.org/impl/p2.htm

These CPUs are all relatively low power.

I use this list:
http://mysite.verizon.net/pchardwarelinks/elec_pentium.htm
It's very comprehensive, I learned a lot from it 😉

Edit:

AdamP wrote:

There are many at that price, but they're all Klamaths or have a 100mhz fsb. I would like a Deschutes with a 66mhz fsb if possible, because I think they use less power.

You can check via the link I posted in this post how much power any P2 uses.

Basically any Klamath no matter how slow will use more power (and thus will produce more heat) then any Deschutes no matter how fast. It's really quite shocking 🤣 😜

You can do a page search for " Intel Pentium II ", it's in the middle of the page 😉

Reply 105 of 217, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I understand the web related information correctly, the CPU may change from multiplier limited to unlocked, if the cpu' FSB identifier is set to 0V by the mobo. Should the mobo simply ignore the cpu, it will be limited.

Reply 106 of 217, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SL2SY
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL2SY.html
SL2WN
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL2WN.html
SL2Y2
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL2Y2.html
SL264
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL264.html

mean anything to any body? it just sits and wastes my space.

Reply 107 of 217, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

As I think it's about time I did something, I've decided to try the SL2S5. I'll let you know how it goes. If it is locked, I might try a da0 or a Klamath. But even if it is locked, it should hopefully still provide some difference due to a slower fsb (assuming it works of course 😀).

Reply 109 of 217, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just tried a SL2HE Klamath, and it was unlocked 😀 (or at least multiplier limited; I haven't tried overclocking it nor am I going to). I haven't experimented much, but so far I've managed to get it down to 166mhz.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Reply 110 of 217, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is good news, We were already on page four of this topic but you was still without semi-unlocked CPU. But no more.

I see you deleted the post where you wrote the SL2S5 was fully locked. but let me remind myself here because that is interesting information.

Reply 112 of 217, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.dwpg.com/content.php?contid=2&arti … =89&orgartid=89

How to completely unlock ANY Pentium II. (Warning, read all the way through before you do anything to your CPU).

😁 Lol!

Reply 114 of 217, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi again,

My Klamath didn't come with a heatsink. Should I use one? (considering that my computer doesn't have a case fan) Would it be possible to rip the heatsink off one of my other PIIs and stick it on this one? (Although I'd rather not mess around with it again unless I have to because installing the Klamath turned out to be more of a hassle than I thought it would be; at first I just got nothing, no screen, no POST, no anything. I can only assume that it somehow wasn't in properly (although once, I had actually powered it up before I realised that I had tried to insert it the wrong way around 😦. But it still took me a few tries before it worked.) At first, I thought I had killed the machine.).

I would actually like a Deschutes, becasuse they use less power and I think they also generate less heat. But I couldn't find a Deschutes that had a good chance of being unlocked/limited for a reasonable price.

gerwin wrote:

I see you deleted the post where you wrote the SL2S5 was fully locked. but let me remind myself here because that is interesting information.

Because Tetrium had an unlocked/limited SL2S7, I thought that the SL2S5 would also be unlocked/limited. I deleted the post because I considered it irrelevant now that I have a PII that's not fully locked, and because I thought I may have given the wrong impression. I was just disappointed and annoyed that it was locked, especially considering it cost about £22. Do you want me to bring the post back?

Reply 115 of 217, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am still confused about the different reactions from tetriums and my P2-400. As a working assumption, I take our CPUs to be identical, both 9830 MALAY. Yet they do react differently!

As first explaination, I assume the mainboards are responsible for this. When some digging is done, there are serious articles regarding the release of all multipliers, not just the limited ones. In order to inspect this further, Tetrium could try his CPU in a different mobo. I will do that too, but I fear my selection of Aopen and Asus will not allow the trick to work. I should solder a connection of the involved pin to ground and see if that will do the trick completely.

Reply 117 of 217, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ux-3 wrote:

I am still confused about the different reactions from tetriums and my P2-400. As a working assumption, I take our CPUs to be identical, both 9830 MALAY. Yet they do react differently!

As first explaination, I assume the mainboards are responsible for this. When some digging is done, there are serious articles regarding the release of all multipliers, not just the limited ones. In order to inspect this further, Tetrium could try his CPU in a different mobo. I will do that too, but I fear my selection of Aopen and Asus will not allow the trick to work. I should solder a connection of the involved pin to ground and see if that will do the trick completely.

Could you type the full markings of your 400 MALAY?
I will do as requested and test my semi-unlocks in a couple other boards...when it's not roasting HOT in my attic!!

Reply 118 of 217, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Does anyone have any engineering samples? I heard that engineering samples aren't locked at all.

I have an engineering sample. It is a Coppermine Pentium III 750/100, product number QH31ES Cpu world info. It accepts multiplier settings 3.0x to 8.0x (maybe even higher, but certainly not lower). And the caches seem to work properly at all these settings.

ux-3 wrote:

I think it is just how intel makes their CPU's, and don't think mainboards can do much about it. I looked before but most info on the net on P-II multiplier locks is flawed. What is on vogons is the best info yet. The only thing that I still cannot really grasp is the principle behind that intel newspeed.exe utility.