VOGONS

First post, by Simon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Im trying to get the old game silver to run on a win98 pc

Its got 128mb sd, celeron 400mhz cpu, some sis intergrated graphics + a ct6670 12 mb voodoo2.

When i try and load the game i just get a blank screen.

If i'm rendering something 3d and plug the monitor in to the voodoo2 should i get an image?

I dont have the vga+3d=to monitor cable so the voodoo2 is pretty much useless i think

Reply 1 of 21, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game is trying to use the Voodoo 2 card. If you don't have the cable for connecting your Voodoo 2 to your primary graphics card then it will display a blank screen. Also you cannot just plug the monitor cable directly into the Voodoo 2 card... It's 3D only and still needs your primary video card for the 2D stuff such as in game menu's and video's etc....

Reply 3 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Simon wrote:

Is it just your standard female to male vga cable?

It's a standard VGA cable, though I can't remember from the top of my head wether you need male-male, female-female or female-male. You'll need to check your Voodoo and 2D card's connectors. I tried with a cable that was about a meter long and it worked 😉

These cables should be easy to get and quite cheap.

Reply 4 of 21, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Silver has no kind of 3D acceleration, it's entirely software based (according to manual ).
Get that cable though, it will be necessary for other games. If that fixes it you're set, if it doesn't pm me to send you a package full of patches for this game.

Reply 7 of 21, by Simon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right got it all working sort of But im getting bad performance

I installed the fastvoodoo2 gold driver.

In quake 2 3.20 im getting 11fps @ 640x480

and in glquake im getting 41fps @ 640x480

Any ideas?

Reply 8 of 21, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

did you try updating directx and are you sure you selected opengl and not software rendering in the video settings? ...sorry can't be of more help. One of the gurus here is sure to drop in and help out

Reply 9 of 21, by Simon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well quake 2 was on 3dfx opengl and i used glquake which i assume doesnt have a software mode (And it had a 3d spinning 3dfx logo at the start)

edit: its only an 8mb voodoo 2 not a 12mb but id still expect better performance on quake 2. like 40 or 50fps i would have thought

Last edited by Simon on 2010-04-21, 14:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 21, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well if your integrated graphics card supports OpenGL , it could the case of the games using that instead of your Voodoo 2.
Other than that, software rendering option maybe?

EDIT:

Yeah just read your new post. I really don't know what it could be. Why don't you try the latest official drivers? Grab them here : http://www.falconfly.de/voodoo2.htm
Also, try to update your Mini-GL in both games.
Yeah 12mb only makes a difference in SLI.

Reply 11 of 21, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Simon wrote:

well quake 2 was on 3dfx opengl and i used glquake which i assume doesnt have a software mode (And it had a 3d spinning 3dfx logo at the start)

edit: its only an 8mb voodoo 2 not a 12mb but id still expect better performance on quake 2. like 40 or 50fps i would have thought

Hmm, quake 2 should perform well on almost anything. Before I had a V2, I was using a Savage4 PCI 8mb (very shitty as you might expect) and gameplay was smooth at 800x600. Same with the V2 - all on a P233MMX.

You've got way more CPU than me, so can't be hardware related I think.

Try reinstalling the drivers. Edit: Try going into device manager and updating the driver from there first.

BTW, this is the latest V2 driver as far as I know.

Reply 12 of 21, by Simon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no luck with other drivers.

Bios settings

pci/vga palletsnoop = disabled
video bios shadow - enabled

then i have tones of hex ranges followed by the word shadow all set to disabled. IRRC this has something to do with making the video faster but i dont know what... should i enable all ranges?

CPU to PCI Post Write - disabled
cpu to pci burst mem. wr - ema;ed
system bios cahcable - enabled
video bios cacheable - disabled
memory hote at 15-16mb - disabled
agp apeature size - 64 mb
pci delay transaction - enabled

should i change any of this?

Reply 13 of 21, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try this:
video bios shadow - disabled
CPU to PCI Post Write - enabled

Also see if you have pci latency timing options- most systems the default is at 32. You can try higher settings, i.e. 64.... up to 128 cycles and see how that works out. If you don't have many pci devices then you can experiment with higher settings.

Change only one at a time, and see if there's improvement.

Reply 15 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Simon wrote:

In quake 2 3.20 im getting 11fps @ 640x480.....
Any ideas?

This doesn't sound right atall.

I've played through the whole Unreal campaign on a K6-3-400 with a voodoo2 and it played fluently (except for a few very crowded areas maybe, low fps was noticable but still playable).
It's not Quake 2 but it should perform similar.

iirc I used something called Merlin drivers or so...
My OS was Windows ME btw, dunno if that matters

Reply 16 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Quake 1/2 console will say the name of the OpenGL GPU it's using. Press ~ in the game and see if it's running on the right chip. You're definitely not CPU limited. I think software mode would definitely be faster than the numbers you're getting for 3D accelerated!!

Reply 17 of 21, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Amigamerlin drivers. There's tons a drivers out there actually, Haven't tried them all but so far I've had no problems with the Fastvoodoo2 ones.

If you're really using the right chip, as indicated by the Quake console and still having low fps, you might wanna try the following (in that order):

1) Try using Mesa or WickedGL. They're in one of the fastvoodoo2 4.6 folders.

2) Some other drivers, e.g. Koolsmoky (which is really new) or maybe even the default drivers.

3) How old is your windows install? If its very old- try checking for errors and defragmenting. Scrub your hard disk clean- uninstall any junk.

4) Reinstall your O/S. Windows9x can get really messed up really fast causing all sorts of havoc.

5) Install XP and try your card on it. XP is super stable and lets you narrow down any potential problems without being bugged at the same time by Windows 9x's shittiness. I usually try any new hardware with XP and once I'm familiar with it, only then use some retro O/S. You could install XP, try your card and if it goes well, reinstall win 98 and see if works just as well.

Reply 19 of 21, by Simon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

its a new install ~1 week but i only added the card the other day after installing it.

quake 1 is using glquake in windows 98.

Quake 2 says its using the voodoo 2 card.

I'm pretty stumped as to what could be causing such low performance.