VOGONS

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello, I have an old Pentium 3 laptop with an ATI Rage 128 and the above soundcard. Is it any good?
Also, is there any easy way to set it up under DOS Mode ? I've had nightmares setting up an Ensoniq AudioPCI and that was on a desktop PC so I am quite sure this one is going to drive me mad 😜.

Reply 1 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had a couple of notebooks with ESS Maestro 2E. The DOS drivers are pretty bad. But in Windows 9x you get great 3D audio in hardware, and it has A3D and DS3D support that is superb. It also has a legacy driver for SB support within 9x that may work better than the pure DOS driver.

Reply 4 of 7, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Will do. I don't want to start a new topic, so does anybody know which ATi Rage card the Rage Mobility-M1 chipset is?
Is it the original Rage, the Rage PRO or the Rage 128?

Edit: Nevermind it's the 128.
I also didn't need to try the dos drivers, turns out the audio installation program for windows set the DOS sound and now I have sound in DOS and it's SB PRO compatible too 😁
Thanks for the help guys!

Reply 5 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually I think it is Rage Pro-based.

I've got some experience with these Rage Mobility chips based on Rage Pro. You will find this site indispensable.
http://web.archive.org/web/20060427060938/www … hosein/rpro.htm

Reply 6 of 7, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm that's weird, wiki states it's the Rage128.
And that would make sense actually, I can run Quake 3 640x480, Medium Quality at 40 fps.
The framerate in all games though takes a big dive when I use 1024x768. So I might be having 60+ fps on 800x600 but then on 1024x768 it drops to 20. I'm guessing that's because of the 8MB ram.