VOGONS

Reply 20 of 40, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
hargcore wrote:

Hi Tetrium, I do want to use the front ATX power button to turn the computer on rather than having it turn on and off from the PSU power switch and my understanding is that I'll need to place the AT power button cable on the adapter behind the ATX power switch then when I press that it will in turn press the button on the cable and power on the machine. I am now wondering about the Reset and Turbo buttons though..

I'm not sure if that's possible with non-ATX AT boards.

Yes, it is. You need the AT to ATX adapter with a power switch.

Tetrium wrote:

Also theres the paperclip trick that RG100 mentioned, but that would also mean it'll power on once you flip the powerswitch.

That's for testing purposes only.

Reply 21 of 40, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

once you got the kit you could cut the switch off and wire in the switch from the case but, i bet that the case switch is momentary and the at switch is non momentary. ???

Reply 22 of 40, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The AT switched look pretty beefy...

Does the 110V / 220V run through that?

atswitch.jpg

I like the idea with the machine on and just using a power board with a switch. Its good practice anyway...

Reply 23 of 40, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cdoublejj wrote:

once you got the kit you could cut the switch off and wire in the switch from the case but, i bet that the case switch is momentary and the at switch is non momentary. ???

If we can figure a way around this then I'd say, "Problem solved!"

Reply 24 of 40, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am pretty certain that the switch remains "on" once pressed.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 40, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

hargcore, if this is possible, please can you take a photo of the area of the case where the power button is located. Not the area on the front of the case where the user can see the power button, but the area inside the case, effectively behind the power button itself. Thanks a lot.

Reply 26 of 40, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I am pretty certain that the switch remains "on" once pressed.

I was referring to the ATX switch on common ATX cases. Those are the kind that only connect when being pressed. The AT switch im like 99% sure is the kind that toggles on and off (switched once, they remain switched until switched again)

Reply 27 of 40, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Make it 100%. And yes, the AT switches are true power switches, they switch the mains. You could even re-use them to switch an ATX power supply on (green/black).

About the other case, ATX power switch with AT mainboard:
The push buttons/switches are often standardized (look like a little cube). I've replaced the non-permanent soft-power button with a turbo switch from an old case, which fitted in there perfectly.

1+1=10

Reply 28 of 40, by hargcore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Retro, I'll definetly post some photos of the case when I get it but I haven't commited to buying it yet on the offchance it won't accept the AT mobo. Looking at the picture of the case and mobo do you think it will fit? It shouldn't be to much of a problem even if the screwholes don't align as I could drill some new mounting holes and use some nuts and bolts (I'd prefer not having to though). I'm also looking at the Coolermaster centurion recommended earlier.

All my parts are coming from the US (paying ridiculous amounts in shipping) so it's going to be a while before I get everything but ideally want to have everything right in my head and all the required items to get it sorted in one go.

Tetrium/cdoublejj/Mau1wurf1977 is it necessary to wire the AT power switch cable to the ATX power button? I gathered from what Retro was saying the AT power switch cable is a pressable button in itself so couldn't I just mount this behind the ATX case button then when I press the ATX front power it will press in and trigger the AT button?

Sorry for any idiocy on my part and thanks for the great responses.

Reply 30 of 40, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

I've replaced the non-permanent soft-power button with a turbo switch from an old case, which fitted in there perfectly.

That is a good idea!! Never thought of it!
Those turbo switches are the permanent switches?

Reply 33 of 40, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Or replace the ATX power button, if it fits. No extra work needed in that case.

hal, that's a very good and interesting idea, but where can hargcore mount the power switch which is connected to the AT-to-ATX PSU adapter? Is it OK to mount this directly "under" the ATX case's power button? If this is OK, then perhaps the turbo button apparatus acquired from an old AT machine can be mounted in a new drilled hole somewhere else on the ATX case. Thanks for any advice.

Reply 34 of 40, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hargcore wrote:

Looking at the picture of the case and mobo do you think it will fit? It shouldn't be to much of a problem even if the screwholes don't align as I could drill some new mounting holes and use some nuts and bolts (I'd prefer not having to though). I'm also looking at the Coolermaster centurion recommended earlier.

I think it will fit. In the event that some new mounting holes on the case are needed, it may only be down one side of the mobo, eg the right hand edge area, where some of the pre-drilled holes on the case are a bit "out of sync" with the mobo. But I think the mobo will go in OK without any mods required. Are you getting the case from the US? Wow, the shipping will cost quite a bit. Have you tried (UK based) ebuyer.com? They have quite a few cases.

Reply 36 of 40, by hargcore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Retro, I'm getting the case from the UK - just everything else I'll be waiting on from the states.

I'm liking the look of Coolermaster Centurion 5:
http://www.computertarget.com.au/oscom/catalo … ase-CAC-T05.jpg

It has a removable front bezel allowing easier access to the power button for modding:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/ce … 5/cent5-053.jpg

It seems the whole button interface and port slot section can be detached with the release of some phillips screws:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/ce … 5/cent5-055.jpg

EDIT: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article200-page3.html

Maybe theres some custom number I could pull on the detachable ports, remove then and add a turbo button in there somehow (It would probably look awful after I had done with it mind).

H-A-L Ideally I want 3 buttons all accessible via the front Panel - Power/Reset and Turbo.

Last edited by hargcore on 2010-09-13, 17:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 38 of 40, by hargcore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Only the first link works

Just realised! - I've added the main page rather than the pics alone that seems to work.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article200-page3.html

Reply 39 of 40, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hargcore wrote:

H-A-L Ideally I want 3 buttons all accessible via the front Panel - Power/Reset and Turbo.

The Centurion 5 has just 2 on the front. I know cuz the rig I'm posting this with is mounted in one.
It's a pretty good case and looks good too. Only thing I have with them is they are so open, theres hardly any sound reduction and the front 'thingies' that cover the drive bays are a pain to remove compared to the old fashioned ones.

Other then that it's a good case that isn't very expensive. I got 2 of those cases right now.

Edit:The side panel looks different from mine though. Mine has an extra air opening in the side and the one in your link doesn't