VOGONS

Another Shot: EP-8KTA3 Pro

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 43, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The first USB 2.0 card I used in a i440bx system always worked without any problems. I also tried an USB+Ethernet combination card: that one did not work. Actually it did work on its own, but it was the combination of that card and the particular graphics card I was using (Gf MX 440) that prevented my system from booting.

ux-3 wrote:

Even after 14 years, European Air War was the first flight sim that I would call "really believable" in terms of graphics. This moment had drifted before, from Finest Hour to swotl to Pacific Air War to Sabre Ace...
In retrospect, they all didn't seem good enough. EAW was the first to stay "realistic looking", even after many years. There was none before, that had such a credible look. I still love playing it.

I never came across EAW at the time. But for the past few years spent quite some time modding and playing the Strike Fighters series. It is one of the very few 'modern' games that I own and play. Strike Fighters has its roots in EAW and Longbow (developer wise). One can actually load a converted EAW terrain in Strike fighters 2 and fly over it.

ux-3 wrote:

I also found out, that the equally old Gunship! runs nicely on my main rig. (It is more arcadish than Longbow 2, but looks far more real) I have struggled with M1 Tank Platoon 2 too, but it seems I won't get it running on the big rig. I fixed the garbled screens (3Dwindower) and got the glide wrapper to kick in, but the mouse doesn't work but stays on the right side of the screen. Anyone knows a fix for that? PS2 vs USB perhaps? I'll try that.

M1TP2 must be one of the must stubborn games in existence, I got it running once I remember, but that is years ago, and I haven't got it running since. Even though I tried it on several systems. Good thing it has no nostalgia value for me, so I don't care.

Nice to see these classic military 'sims' mentioned here on vogons, for a change.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 41 of 43, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

M1TP2 must be one of the must stubborn games in existence, I got it running once I remember, but that is years ago, and I haven't got it running since. Even though I tried it on several systems. Good thing it has no nostalgia value for me, so I don't care.

It ran out of the box on the voodoo5 for me. On my modern rig, I got it running but the mouse doesn't work. So I can't go on.

I have Strike Fighters Projekt 1 installed. You probably know the other games in that series, Wings over Vietnam etc.

I did never get to see Wings over Israel though or that WW1 game of them.

Yesterday, I got my copy of Rise of Flight in the mail though. But the excitement about EAW running on the main frame in all its glory took all my attention.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 42 of 43, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good news: I got the USB2.0 card reader running all of a sudden. I am not quite sure what did the trick. I deleted all other card reader software and chose the win2k driver installer instead. While it might be interesting to know, what did it, I won't double test this. I can now shuffle lots of data via CF cards.

But as for now it looks as if I abandon the KT133A approach after I got the main power games running on a current machine and drive the chevy (P2/P3) instead.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 43 of 43, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

USB 2.0 Cards with Nec Chipset (OHCI) work fine with older PCI Spec.
Avoid VIA Chipsets.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board