VOGONS

Reply 20 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

that is a good Q, as they are set to default... lemme grab a shot of the BIOS settings...

edit: here are the cpu settings and hardware monitor ...

25sajk9.jpg

29pc8w4.jpg

cpu voltage seems fine...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 21 of 68, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may have applied a little too much paste. try with less and put it only in the center area of the IHS. Other then maybe a too slow moving cpu fan (even though the speed in the BIOS suggests this is not the case) or a misreading temp sensor I can't tell why your temps get so high.
Do you happen to have another 1400 laying around you could test? It's a long shot but maybe theres something wrong with the cpu or it's IHS??

Reply 22 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

will try with a way better thermal paste that I have ordered... IIRC this one most probably is some chinese noname stuff....

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 23 of 68, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

52C is fine. There is absolutely nothing to worry about and nothing to gain with a lower temp.

Paste "quality" doesn't affect temp much. Maybe a few degrees. It's just important that you have some sort of thermal compound applied so there's something besides air in the gaps between the CPU and heatsink.

BTW, in the BIOS the CPU doesn't sleep at all. In Windows your temps will be lower because the CPU should be receiving the HLT command when it is at all idle.

Reply 24 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

allright then! I was under the impression that temps should be lower that's why I worried...
thanks all!!!!

Reply 25 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

update:

I bit the bullet and got this 210gr copper heatsink and some Arctic Silver Ceramique stuff ...

rcpt3d.jpg

the BIOS temperature is ~55-59 degrees now... I don't see it getting any better and will leave it that way 🤣

Reply 26 of 68, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd recommend using a bigass Socket A cooler (they work well for Socket 370's as well), and a tube of Arctic Silver 5. That should help alleviate your cooling problems. 😁

Reply 27 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried with the cooler I had on my 2600+ AthlonXP... too much noise and same results... who knows, maybe the mobo temp report is not to be trusted at all...

Reply 28 of 68, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

I tried with the cooler I had on my 2600+ AthlonXP... too much noise and same results... who knows, maybe the mobo temp report is not to be trusted at all...

I'm starting to believe this is the case. Either that, or your cpu is somehow malfunctioning...or theres something making the cpu run at full throttle all the time??

Reply 29 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't believe the cpu is malfunctioning, the machine never crashed/acted strange even in the hot summer days... 😀
It is said before in the thread that in the BIOS screen the cpu gets used almost 100%...

Reply 30 of 68, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think that sensor is reliable...

What power rating does such a cpu have?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 31 of 68, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have another board, you could see what temps it are read there 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 32 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nah, I won't really do another transplant, in the end something will break 🤣
I have left it playing the Unreal flyby demo at 1280x1024 for ~1hr, nothing strange happened and the heatsink is warm but not 60 degrees... will leave it for one more hour but I assume it will be fine

Reply 33 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

here is the new home for my p3... too new for my taste BUT the whole system is SUPER cool now... no more temperature problems and all the fans are ~15-17dB ... so I am gonna keep it there , at least I decorated it with a retro 3DFX sticker 🤣

16a8oj6.jpg

2yngp4l.jpg

Reply 34 of 68, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cases with the 12cm honeycomb fan openings are the best imo 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 35 of 68, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@keropi

Groovy 😀

I see you have the ghay daughter board for the sb live...have you anything hooked up to it?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 36 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Tetrium : yeah, even the v5500 is cool 😁

@Amigaz: not really, I have it there as an option to connect my CM32-L ... but this p3 now evolved to a windowsME-only machine so I doubt I will ever connect it there...

Reply 37 of 68, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

@Tetrium : yeah, even the v5500 is cool 😁

@Amigaz: not really, I have it there as an option to connect my CM32-L ... but this p3 now evolved to a windowsME-only machine so I doubt I will ever connect it there...

I think that daughter board is made for some proprietary speaker connector creative had on some 5.1 spoeaker models back then...

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 38 of 68, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

on my card there are midi in/out, spdif in/out and that connector you say, digital ext or something like that...

Reply 39 of 68, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here goes my first post on my new account 😀

I just got my P-III-S 1.4GHz about a week ago, I use a rather open case design (Thermaltake V3 Black) with 4x 120mm fans, a socket 370 CoolerMaster HSF like 60mm and aluminum. I live in Ohio and keep my computer in the basement which is a bit cold. My normal temps that I see is around 37c load currently using Prime 95 and that has been my usual temp. This is reported by Gigabyte EasyTune 4. Speedfan 4.29 reports 31c so there is discrepancy. My Soyo SY-7VCA2 and a P3 1GHz coppermine never reported anything higher than 25c load using SpeedFan and usually idled around 17c!

My recommendation is open that case up and get some more 120mm's runnin!

System:
P3-S 1.4GHz (Tualatin)
Gigabyte GA-6VTXE Rev 1.0 (Via Apollo Pro 133T chipset with Tualatin support)
768MB PC133 SDRam
Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
StarTech 7-port USB PCI card
Dlink 10/100 NIC PCI card
SoundBlaster AWE64 pnp ISA card
Western Digital 120GB SE (8MB cache) ATA-100
Pioneer 16x DVD-Rom
XClio GoodPower 500Watt PSU
Thermaltake V3 Black Case

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME