VOGONS

Reply 60 of 68, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My experience is pretty much the opposite.
GPU cores are very durable but the VRMs and caps often have poor quality.
I've also lost a lot of graphics cards due to flexing which can be fixed by baking the cards.

Last edited by Arctic on 2015-08-31, 17:34. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 61 of 68, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have an Aopen AX3SU with a 1.4ghz Tualatin -S 512k cpu installed
i never checked the temperature tho.. i've got a aftermarket thermaltake volcano cooler on it
6cu220.jpg
it runs on the 815E chipset +i remember i did have to update the bios for it to take the tualatin cpu
it was kind of a pain in the ass but works like a champ now.
i think this cpu is amazing for the proccessing its capable of with such little electrical cost.

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 62 of 68, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have a single decent Tualatin compatible cooler.

The Tualatin is slightly taller, so if you use a standard S370 cooler, the tension can be so much that the latches on the socket snap off. Happened to me.

So you can loosen the tension by bending the mounting lever a little bit. That works quite well.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 64 of 68, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Arctic wrote:

Hm, there should be a way to reinforce these latches. 😐

I don't think this is possible.

Best way to go is to bend the mounting lever a bit so it stresses the latches less. Additionally I always try to use a HSF with a mounting lever that uses 2 or all 3 latches as I found the HSF's that only use a single one, tend to break a lot easier.

philscomputerlab wrote:

The Tualatin is slightly taller, so if you use a standard S370 cooler, the tension can be so much that the latches on the socket snap off. Happened to me.

So you can loosen the tension by bending the mounting lever a little bit. That works quite well.

I actually had a single original Intel Tualatin HSF, it had a plastic thingy that would fit on all 3 latches, but in my very first attempt to mount that Intel HSF, the plastic thingy itself broke, it seemed very poorly made (or at least it's not very durable).

And another thing I do is to mix and match metal mounting levers with different HSF's so the height becomes less of an issue (I got tons of old HSF's so mixing them up isn't much of an issue for me).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 65 of 68, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one Tualatin clip which came with a Compaq Deskpro EN. It was very awkward to use though, and ironically, I broke a socket from attempting to use it. Installation wasn't a problem, it was removal that was tricky. It got hung up on the lip of the latches and once that happens you're screwed. In that position it quickly snapped the middle one off.

I finally took one of my lesser Athlon heatsinks (which I never expect to use for an Athlon) and bent it to be safe for socket-370. It's design makes it easy to install with a screwdriver without any slip ups. It's nice and soft now, maybe softer than it needs to be but that's fine by me. It has all the cooling those chips ever need and I don't think I'll break any more sockets with it. I wish I had done that a long time ago, it's better than anything else I tried to use.

I've never found a 3 latch heatsink clip that wasn't extemely overtight for a 370. Every one I've seen is clearly meant for Athlon socket-A, but they could still be bent of course.

Reply 66 of 68, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The tip with 3 latched coolers is good.

When working on a test bench, I now just use a normal S7 cooler and put a 120 mm fan onto. It's very convenient and does the job 😊

Reply 67 of 68, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

Or you can de-lid the Tualatin.

De-lidding here would give better cooling performance. Mind you, this isn't always the case, but definitely so with Tualatin.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 68 of 68, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's an option. I prefer to leave the processor as is though. Just a personal preference.