VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Uhm such a battery will start leaking whenever it wants, even when not conected.

ugh -_-. Well I'd better flip the board upside down then haha 😜

Reply 21 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

ugh -_-. Well I'd better flip the board upside down then haha 😜

The simplest solutions are often the best 🤣

Reply 23 of 24, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 there was a guy at OCAU who was giving me crap for connecting an external battery to my 486 board, he wanted me to buy another barrel battery and solder it on... aside from being a huge pain in the arse to change the battery, when it leaks it gets all over the board... at least the external ones can be mounted somewhere so that if they do leak, it won't be all over anything.
Takes all kinds I guess.

Personally I don't trust ANY of those barrel batteries, I've seen too many boards destroyed by them. The biggest worry is the corrosion you don't see, below the surface of the board.

Anyway, if you are looking for another sound card, I have a few Vibra CT2800's which are just like a normal SB16 except with much higher sound quality (in my experience anyway) plus they have real OPL3 chips. I'm using one in my 486 now. Seems to drive the MT32 alright as well. Could probably spare you one if you want it.

Reply 24 of 24, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

Anyway, if you are looking for another sound card, I have a few Vibra CT2800's which are just like a normal SB16 except with much higher sound quality (in my experience anyway) plus they have real OPL3 chips. I'm using one in my 486 now. Seems to drive the MT32 alright as well. Could probably spare you one if you want it.

Hmm, I might take you up on that! 😀