VOGONS

Good AGP VGA

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 45, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:
I had a similar problem with my p4 northwood pc North Bridge: VIA PT880 PRO South Bridge: VIA VT8237R […]
Show full quote
MatthewBrian wrote:

The story is different with my (Northwood P4) notebook, though. Windows behaved oddly there - it is so slow, disk performance is only 3 MB/sec maximum.

I had a similar problem with my p4 northwood pc
North Bridge: VIA PT880 PRO
South Bridge: VIA VT8237R

the solution install the raid driver, even though you dont use raid and only have 1 hdd

ps: not the press f6 to install a 3rd party raid driver from a floppy disc

Is RAID driver chipset-specific? Because it happens in my notebook, and I doubt that there are RAID drivers for notebook chipsets.

Reply 41 of 45, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it will certainly be sort of specific eg: mine is called via raid tool and will only work on via chipsets
can you post the make and model number of your laptop even better if you know the chipset its using
(did it come with a driver cd ? is there a raid driver on it)

it may even be part of via hyperion chipset drivers (also known as via 4 in 1)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 42 of 45, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:
it will certainly be sort of specific eg: mine is called via raid tool and will only work on via chipsets can you post the make […]
Show full quote

it will certainly be sort of specific eg: mine is called via raid tool and will only work on via chipsets
can you post the make and model number of your laptop even better if you know the chipset its using
(did it come with a driver cd ? is there a raid driver on it)

it may even be part of via hyperion chipset drivers (also known as via 4 in 1)

It doesn't come with any driver CD. Just an OEM Windows XP CD with full of bloatware.

All the drivers can be downloaded in HP's site though.

Brand is Compaq, model Evo N1020v. Processor is Pentium 4 Northwood 2.4Ghz.

The graphic card is ATi RS200m.

I don't know where to look at the chipset as I can't run Windows based diagnostic utility 😀 but what I know is that this machine had ATi southbridge.

Reply 43 of 45, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

looking at it i dont think it is a raid problem
is your hdd in pio mode

control panel -- system -- hardware -- device manager - ide ata/atapi controlers
primary and secondary channel -- properties

idem.jpg

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 45 of 45, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
I don't like build-in screens though, and I never use the touchpad thingy, I always plug in a mouse anyway and I prefer my 32in […]
Show full quote

I don't like build-in screens though, and I never use the touchpad thingy, I always plug in a mouse anyway and I prefer my 32in tv/monitor and €2 keyboard 😀.

As for low power, that may be true. It is possible to use laptop parts in desktop computers though. My Barton 3200+ spare lan rig has a 100GB 2.5in drive in it (because I didn't have anything else floating around when I needed it quick, 🤣).
Also I like how I can easily repair desktops if a part breaks.

And anyhow, I don't have plans to actually build a little server from scrap parts at this time. Should the need arrive, I know I'll have the parts laying around 😀

I do miss having a laptop for one use, for reading in bed right before I shut my eyes. Right now I'll either have to go to the living room, turn on the pc and read or I need to print it. Would be much easier putting stuff I want to read on a stick and read it from my bed.
Anyhow, no money...maybe tomorrow I'll run into a laptop that fell off a truck or something 😜
You can never know 😀

You should look at nettops. I got an Acer Aspire Revo AR3610 to use as an HTPC; it's nice but the only thing that makes it feasible is the nVidia ION chipset, which they aren't using in some of the models for some reason.