Topic actions

Reply 21 of 50, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Success!

Every game should work now!

So what was the issue? Dos 6 instead of windows?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 27 of 50, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can verify that the AWE64 ISA bus card will work properly under Win 98-SE, ME and Win 2k.

I have a dual-boot box with both Windows 98-SE on a drive and Win 2K on the second drive.

This is running fine on a Soyo Socket 478 board with ISA bus slots.

One thing I always do is to disable the onboard LPT and COM ports to free up some allocated resources.

I don't recall having to force the settings under Windows, however, I can state I've used this function before and it has worked in the past on other hardware platforms.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 28 of 50, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What OS are you trying to install the ISA card in?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 29 of 50, by gwb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What OS are you trying to install the ISA card in?

Windows 98SE

I can verify that the AWE64 ISA bus card will work properly under Win 98-SE, ME and Win 2k. […]
Show full quote

I can verify that the AWE64 ISA bus card will work properly under Win 98-SE, ME and Win 2k.

I have a dual-boot box with both Windows 98-SE on a drive and Win 2K on the second drive.

This is running fine on a Soyo Socket 478 board with ISA bus slots.

One thing I always do is to disable the onboard LPT and COM ports to free up some allocated resources.

I don't recall having to force the settings under Windows, however, I can state I've used this function before and it has worked in the past on other hardware platforms.

I am doing a fresh install of Win98SE hoping that that will clear things up. May I ask what driver you used and what lines did you add in your config and autoexec?
My lpt and com, onboard audio have all been disabled to free up some resources and I think I'll just force the AWE64 to use IRQ5 in the bios.

For Windows, try doing the "force hardware resources change", for the AWE64, inside the Device Manager area. Pick the resources that work for DOS. Eg 220/5/1/5.

I ended up trying this earlier to no avail! 🙁

Thanks all for the help!

Reply 30 of 50, by gwb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay so I think I'm making some progress.
Here's what I got so far
No PNP OS in BIOS
IRQ5 reserved for awe64g
Fresh Win98SE install
PCI512, video card, and AWE64gold installed in system with drivers

I booted into Window's DOS mode (not a cmd prompt) and ran ctcm and it spat out the normal looking settings

Found Creative Plug and Play card  : Creative SB AWE64 Gold

Successfully configured 3 of 3 Creative PLug and Play Devices
Blaster environment is set at: A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620

However, I still can not seem to get the sound effects working in DOS, nor Windows for Doom2. I can only get the MIDI music playing for some reason.

Reply 34 of 50, by gwb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's one of those industrial P4s. Here are the specs

• CPU: Supports Intel mPGA 478 Pentium 4/ Celeron up to 2.6 GHz (with system bus frequency of 400 MHz)
• CPU Socket: Intel Socket 478
• BIOS: Award 4Mb FWH BIOS
• Chipset: Intel 82845
• I/O Chipset: SMSC LPC47M192 / ITE IT8661F
• Memory: Onboard two 184-pin DIMM sockets Support up to 2 GB PC2100/ PC1600 DDR ECC/ Non ECC memory
• Enhanced IDE: Supports up to four IDE devices. Supports Ultra DMA 33/66/100 mode with data transfer rate up to 100MB/sec. (20 x 2 header x 2 onboard)
• FDD Interface: Supports up to two floppy disk drives, 5.25" (360 KB and 1.2 MB) and/or 3.5" (720 KB, 1.44 MB, and 2.88 MB)
• Parallel Port: One bi-directional parallel port. Supports SPP, ECP, and EPP modes
• Serial Port: 4 serial port - 2 x DB9 (16C550 Fast UART Compatible) and 2-pin header set for serial port with RS-422/485 feature (ITE8661 for second set of 16C550 UART)
• IR Interface: Supports one IrDA Tx/Rx header
• KB/Mouse Connector: Two 6-pin mini-DIN connectors support PS/2 keyboard and mouse
• USB Connectors: Four USB ports onboard. Dual external USB connectors and one 5 x 2 header supports additional dual USB ports
• Power Management: Supports P4 ATX power supply

Reply 35 of 50, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gwb wrote:

It's one of those industrial P4s.

I knew it! Honestly, I was going to say "are you using one of those industrial mobos?!". The problem may be because it doesn't support NMI, which means Non Maskable Interupt. SB16 digital effects won't work, if the mobo doesn't support NMI.

Reply 36 of 50, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh but I though it worked with DOS 6? Or was this just a premature assumption on my part?

PS: Now we have a guinea pig who can test things for us on a industrial board 🤣

First question: Does your BIOS allow changing the FSB (over and down clocking) and can you change the CPU multiplier?

Reply 37 of 50, by gwb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh but I though it worked with DOS 6? Or was this just a premature assumption on my part?

I did get the card to work with ctcm and aweutil /s and it did output the correct parameters but I still never got the sound effects to work in games

PS: Now we have a guinea pig who can test things for us on a industrial board Laughing Out Loud

I don't mind at all 😀 This was honestly an experiment for me as well so I'll be happy to answer any questions

First question: Does your BIOS allow changing the FSB (over and down clocking) and can you change the CPU multiplier?

Unfortunately it does not. It may be able to with a BIOS update, but I have not looked in to that yet

I knew it! Honestly, I was going to say "are you using one of those industrial mobos?!". The problem may be because it doesn't support NMI, which means Non Maskable Interupt. SB16 digital effects won't work, if the mobo doesn't support NMI.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that 🤣. I agree with your logic and I will have to dig out a P3 board somewhere and see if that works. I did happen to see a member on here (looking for post) who had an industrial mobo and had a myriad of sound cards in the system? 😕

I don't at all 😀 This was honestly an experiment for me as well so I'll be happy to answer any questions

Reply 38 of 50, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you happen to have a non PnP ISA card you could test?

If it really is your industrial board that would be a shame. I always assumed that these ISA slots would be just fine...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 39 of 50, by gwb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you happen to have a non PnP ISA card you could test?

If it really is your industrial board that would be a shame. I always assumed that these ISA slots would be just fine...

I have a CT2940 (SB16 PNP value) and an ess audiodrive es1898f in front of me. I'll have to dig out some of my other stuff tomorrow