VOGONS

First post, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone have some guidance on how to make a SB-LINK cable to connect a sound card to a SB-LINK header on a motherboard? I imagine I could probably hack up an old CD audio cable, but I don't know the pinouts. I'd like to do this with the least amount of trial an error.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 33, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Behold!

Attachments

• sblink.jpg
    Filename
    sblink.jpg
    File size
    101.92 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Home-made SB-link cable
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 33, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You don't need a crimper for these. keywords: female 2x3 RM/Pitch 2.54
In Holland or Germany you can buy such things at Conrad mail order.

Reply 6 of 33, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stull wrote:

Is this cable the same pin-for-pin on both ends?

It has been a while since I messed with it, but that is what it seems to be on the photo.

Here is more info on the signals, as found in an Asus P2B Manual. DGND / 'Digital Ground' is easy to verify.

Attachments

• SB_LINK.GIF
    Filename
    SB_LINK.GIF
    File size
    7.3 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SB-Link Pinout Mainboard
    File license

Reply 7 of 33, by ik777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it enough to replace real or DIY one?

Just $1 for each.

Attachments

• Flat_Cable_Assy.jpg
    Filename
    Flat_Cable_Assy.jpg
    File size
    24.91 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 8 of 33, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now that we speak about this SB_LINK stuff, is Sound Blaster AWE64 PCI the only card with a SB_LINK header?

I have this header also on my IBM PC 300PL and I haven't been able to secure one single card that uses this stuff.

Reply 10 of 33, by jhill1977

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can anyone point me to a source for a SB-LINK cable here in the US? I'm playing around with building a DOS gaming box and have an old SE440BX-2 board with a PC/PCI port and need the cable to attach to my Yamaha PCI sound card

Thank....

Reply 12 of 33, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

what for is the SB-LINK cable exactly? Which emulation does work and does not work without that cable?

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 13 of 33, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In simple words, SB-Link provides the DMA and IRQ lines of the ISA bus, so that old DOS software can program - or see -
PCI sound cards exactly the same as ISA sound cards. Unlike the other methods, this is no emulation per se.

See http://ftp.tekwind.co.jp/pub/asustw/misc/sb_link.pdf

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PC/PCI carries ISA specific I/O information over these external cables. DDMA allows those same signals to be carried internally over the PCI bus, but it requires a compliant PCI controller. DSDMA/Ensoniq AudioPCI/Aureal etc. do it with software tricks.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15 of 33, by egrabczewski

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick update. This SB-LINK cable is getting very difficult to find but I've managed to track down a generic version on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-12-inch-2 … 2/dp/B078LM31J9

Reply 16 of 33, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There shouldn't be anything special about SB-Link cable, therefore any 6pin ribbon cable would work. From AliExpress one can buy such cable for less than 0.50$.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 18 of 33, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just buy a pack of female to female dupont cables and connect the pins individually. If you really want, you can use electric tape to on either end to bundle them into 2x3 connectors.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19 of 33, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...or you could just saw a random old floppy cable or COM breakout into pieces or go to town with a soldering iron ;)

Nobody has a pinout, ever.
Everyone has a continuity tester!

I like jumpers.