VOGONS

PS/2 6 pin cable - are they hard to find?

Topic actions

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm testing a super socket 7 mobo, model DFI P5BV3+ REV.B3. A fairly close match of it can be seen here. The mobo allows a PS/2 mouse to be connected to it, but only via a "pins header thing" on the mobo. There's no convenient socket at the back of the mobo. The "pins header thing" on the mobo is 6 pins long, in 1 row.

I had a quick look on ebay, and found a couple of items, but I'm unsure if they are suitable. They are:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt … em=190498178168
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt … em=310299088836

Would any of these work? If not, does anyone know where I can buy one? Thanks a lot for any help!

Reply 1 of 79, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, that's one of the pin headers that was never standardized in any way (or at least, not to my knowledge), so there's no telling whether any particular bracket will work "out of the box".

But, any of them should be modifiable to work by switching pins around in the header connector. I mean, you have 6 pins, only four actually do anything, and two of those are 5V and Ground, which are easy to find with a multimeter. Little bit of trial-and-error and you should be able to get it going.

Reply 2 of 79, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great, thanks a lot for the info! 😀 I must get myself a multimeter. I typed that word in to ebay, and out pops ~2.5 thousand results. Is there any keyword I could append to the multimeter search, in order to home in on anything particularly relevant to my specific requirements? Thanks.

Reply 7 of 79, by udam_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is caused by users who frequently rotate tip around its axis. Cheap probes contain thin wires which often break off at the junction of tip and wire.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention. I'm one of those "bad" users he he he. [:

Reply 8 of 79, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

old trashbag is correct... they never standardized the pin header connectors on the motherboards, so it varys from maker to maker
some used 4 pins, most others used 5 pins with a key

the important thing to do is to just get one with the correct number of pins/wires... don't worry about how it's wired when you buy it as you'll more than likely have to rewire it

check your motherboard's manual and then google for the PS/2 port pinouts (wikipedia might have it too, not sure)... then you'll just have to carefully pull the terminals out of the connector and move them to the correct positions

I had to do this back in the 90s and it was the only way to get a working PS/2 port... there was no way getting the correct part (nobody stocked "genuine" accessories), and many "clone" builders couldn't care less about PS/2 ports, most of them just slapped the machines together and sold the crappy machines with a crappy serial mouse

Reply 9 of 79, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMAN wrote:

old trashbag is correct...

🤣 You mean Old Thrashbarg. 😀 Say, @OT, where does that name come from?

Re: multimeters. I found this one, it's cheap and also local so shipping will be quick. I'll get it today, if no one points out any obvious problem...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt … em=180574799406

Also, I bought the PS/2 interface cables in my original post. So, with any luck, the cables and multimeter should arrive sometime next week...

Reply 10 of 79, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see little need wasting time/money on a multimeter unless you don't have the manual for the motherboard
the motherboard manuals I've used always showed the pinout information for the headers
so combine that information with the PS/2 port info (easy to find now, was hard back in the days), it'll take mere minutes to reconfigure the connector to match your motherboard 😀

Reply 14 of 79, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"retro games 100, I've got yet more junk for you", says the Postman. "Thanks very much!", I reply. 😀

And here it is. A very cheap multimeter, and a PS/2 cable which is sitting right next to the keyboard socket on the mobo. The PS/2 mobo pins are about one millimeter away from the left edge of this keyboard socket, and to the right of the first COM port 1. Looking at the PS/2 cable's black plug, there is an arrow on the orange wire area. The orange wire is the wire at the very right end of this black plug. The mobo's PS/2 "pins header thing" has got 6 pins, and "pin 1" is at the very top edge of the board. Please note that the PS/2 cable's black plug has 4 wires, and 5 "socket holes", one of which is naturally wireless.

I've never used a multimeter before. I've got to install the battery, which is sitting next to it. I think I can manage that, but what happens after that is a mystery. Do I prod at things, when the mobo is on or off? There are two "prod things" (ah they're called probes!), but 3 sockets in which to plug them in to. There is a tiny manual, but it isn't written for morons, so I'm out of luck there.

People, please lend me your retro brains, so that I can get a PS/2 mouse working on this thing. Thanks very much for any advice.

mmeter.JPG

Reply 15 of 79, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bottom left is for resistance. Top left for DC Voltage, Top right for AC Voltage. The Current ones on the right I wouldn't worry about. Useful is the bottom one, it should beep when you have a line (testing wires).

That setting and DC Voltage is likely the settings you will be using. For Voltage, the COM goes onto ground (can be the case) and with the other one you can go nuts and see what voltage is all over the place...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 79, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

99% chance that you won't need to probe anything. Here is the schematic for the mobo:

161yweg.jpg

fond here: http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Dfi/man … 5B0912revC+.pdf

don't pay attention to the "red wire on pi1" that the manual states, your cable most likely does not have the same color/wiring as the original one that I assume came with the mobo...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17 of 79, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome! Thanks a lot. 😁 Although that diagram is extremely useful, I really want to learn how to use the multimeter, because I've got boxes of mobos, and some have no online manuals. I think it's time for me to learn how to use one of these things.

Using that page you found, can I double-check each pin on the mobo with the multimeter? However, I'm afraid I have absolutely no clue about how to use it. Unfortunately, Mau1wurf1977's explanation was too technical for me to understand what to do. I had a look on youtube about multimeters, but there are too many of them.

It's possible that I'm asking for too much info here. If that's the case, how about someone please tell me how I can double-check one of the mobo's PS/2 pins? How about pin number 3, which is Ground. What setting do I set the MM dial to? Where do I plug the red and black probe plugs in to? That would be a really useful and helpful start. Thanks a lot in advance! 😀

Reply 19 of 79, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I have found a good webpage, by googling for "using a MM". It's here. Reading it, I have discovered where to plug the two probes in to the device. The black cable goes in to socket labelled COM, and the red cable goes in to the socket labelled with a horseshoe symbol. The top socket, labelled 10A, I probably don't need.

[Thinking out loud mode = On] Do I use the probes on both the PS/2 pins on the mobo, and also the wires on the PS/2 black cable plug?

Edit: Also, when I test the PS/2 pins on the mobo, does the mobo have to be switched on and working, or completely switched off and the mains plug disconnected from the wall?