VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I attach the memory upgrade module to this video card, the mobo will not POST. If I remove it, the mobo will POST. On the back of the card, there is a small sticker that reads: NON UPGRADABLE. Does this mean that the video card does not accept memory upgrade modules?

Also, I wonder how much memory the upgrade module contains? The card itself has 2MB, and the upgrade module looks similar to the RAM on board the card. I wonder if the upgrade is 2MB? This would make the combined card+module = 4MB.

PICT2147.JPG

Reply 1 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can answer you about the memory size of the upgrade module...it's 2mb

I believe I still own two if these cards...

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:

I can answer you about the memory size of the upgrade module...it's 2mb

I believe I still own two if these cards...

Thanks. Are these cards any good? Speedy, or about average? What's your favourite VLB video card - would it be manufactured by the legendary Tseng?

Reply 3 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

have you tried the card in a different system? I have a number nine card that wont post in the motherboard I WANT it to, but it will in EVERY other board I have. Also, any chance you need to set any jumpers?

It does seem pretty self explanatory when you mention the sticker.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So far I have tried the card in two systems, and with the module attached, neither system POSTs. Also, there is an IRQ jumper on the card with 3 settings. I have tried all 3, including the no jumper present setting.

The thing is, the seller sold it to me with the module attached, but did say "I think it's 16MB", which is completely wrong. My guess is that the seller has put the module on without testing it. Perhaps he didn't see that "NON UPGRADABLE" sticker on the back of the card?!

Reply 5 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is your card labelled as "winturbo" or "graphics pro turbo"?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not exactly familiar when it comes to memory upgrade modules, but is it possible the memory module is the wrong version? (Say, the PCI memory module is different from the VLB module, just guessing here 😜)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's a sticker on the BIOS which reads: GR.PRO TURBO. The GR must stand for Graphics. The main info labelling on the module chips is identical to the main info labelling on the onboard chips. But this is interesting - there's a printed Part Number on the module PCB that says: PN 109-26400-10, but then there's a sticker on it too which reads: P/N 102-26402-10 502933. Hmm, why two part numbers I wonder?

And the mystery deepens - I've just spotted another sticker on the back of the video card, with another part number: P/N 102-26907-38 504130. Also, SpeedSys seems to think this card is "OEM".

Reply 8 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

There's a sticker on the BIOS which reads: GR.PRO TURBO. The GR must stand for Graphics. The main info labelling on the module chips is identical to the main info labelling on the onboard chips. But this is interesting - there's a printed Part Number on the module PCB that says: PN 109-26400-10, but then there's a sticker on it too which reads: P/N 102-26402-10 502933. Hmm, why two part numbers I wonder?

And the mystery deepens - I've just spotted another sticker on the back of the video card, with another part number: P/N 102-26907-38 504130. Also, SpeedSys seems to think this card is "OEM".

Lol, I've got (or had) an El Cheapo PSU which was 350W according to a sticker and 300W or 400W according to the model name big sticker 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 13, by ychh0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retro games 100 wrote:
If I attach the memory upgrade module to this video card, the mobo will not POST. If I remove it, the mobo will POST. On the b […]
Show full quote

If I attach the memory upgrade module to this video card, the mobo will not POST. If I remove it, the mobo will POST. On the back of the card, there is a small sticker that reads: NON UPGRADABLE. Does this mean that the video card does not accept memory upgrade modules?

Also, I wonder how much memory the upgrade module contains? The card itself has 2MB, and the upgrade module looks similar to the RAM on board the card. I wonder if the upgrade is 2MB? This would make the combined card+module = 4MB.

PICT2147.JPG

Did you solve this problem?

My Mach64 VLB card is also written “Non-upgradable” on backside. I wonder this card is inherently non-upgradable even with proper memory module or not.

Reply 10 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you think the video BIOS is OEM, try using the standard one.

I haven't seen the non-upgradeable version of the Graphics Pro Turbo, but my understanding was that the Winturbo was the budget version of it. They usually limited the winturbo to 2MB simply by not soldering in the memory upgrade connectors. If a BIOS upgrade doesn't help the situation, maybe these cards were somehow defective and sold as cheaper verisons.

Reply 11 of 13, by ychh0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

If you think the video BIOS is OEM, try using the standard one.

I haven't seen the non-upgradeable version of the Graphics Pro Turbo, but my understanding was that the Winturbo was the budget version of it. They usually limited the winturbo to 2MB simply by not soldering in the memory upgrade connectors. If a BIOS upgrade doesn't help the situation, maybe these cards were somehow defective and sold as cheaper verisons.

I have this one. As you said memory module is not soldered so I have a plan to solder on it. I wonder this is that one what you said winturbo. But I cannot find any differences, the part number and FCC ID is the same (109-26900-30, EXM269) and other parts also seem to not show any big differences

Anyway, do you have the bios of the memory upgradable ATI mach64 VLB?

Attachments

Reply 12 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The WinTurbo used the same PCB as the Pro Turbo, so the markings would be the same. At best it would have just used a few stickers if they even bothered to go that far. The fact that the upgrade headers are not soldered makes it functionally a winturbo whether labled so or not.
I have the BIOS image you need, but I have to find it first.

Reply 13 of 13, by ychh0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

The WinTurbo used the same PCB as the Pro Turbo, so the markings would be the same. At best it would have just used a few stickers if they even bothered to go that far. The fact that the upgrade headers are not soldered makes it functionally a winturbo whether labled so or not.
I have the BIOS image you need, but I have to find it first.

Thanks. Firstly let me solder and test it works properly or not.
If not, let me ask you.

Thanks.