Practice PC # 2 - retro PC - Windows 98

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 106, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlienBZ wrote:

No, I don't even have a Puppy Linux/Geexbox on a CD. Why are you asking about these OS's in particular?

They are free, they will load entirely from a CD (even on very old machines), and they likely have enough pre-configured drivers that any sound card will either work properly or not at all. It is useful for troubleshooting.

Ok, since, I was thinking of putting old free bee games on this PC prior to donation, and it already has a good, working CD-ROM drive, do I really have to worry about these connectors or not?

If anyone plays a CD-ROM game that uses redbook audio (or if anyone should decide to use the old PC for playing CDs), then unless the CD-ROM drive has a headphone jack on the front, the PC will not be useful for that purpose.

Actually, it is distinctly possible that no one will ever use this computer again once you donate it.

Reply 101 of 106, by AlienBZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Actually, it is distinctly possible that no one will ever use this computer again once you donate it.

Well, if that's the case, should I stop all repair jobs on this PC, replace the tower cover back onto the chassis, and just take this computer (and that white Compaq) up to the Salvation Army for donation ASAP?

Reply 102 of 106, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could always use it to play awesome old games yourself...

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 103 of 106, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

If anyone plays a CD-ROM game that uses redbook audio (or if anyone should decide to use the old PC for playing CDs), then unless the CD-ROM drive has a headphone jack on the front, the PC will not be useful for that purpose.

You mean a 4-pin cable from the drive to the sound card.

Reply 104 of 106, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlienBZ wrote:

Well, if that's the case, should I stop all repair jobs on this PC, replace the tower cover back onto the chassis, and just take this computer (and that white Compaq) up to the Salvation Army for donation ASAP?

I dunno; that's up to you and how willing you are to continue investing time int it.

Reply 105 of 106, by AlienBZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
AlienBZ wrote:

I dunno; that's up to you and how willing you are to continue investing time int it.

Thanks. Come tomorrow I'll replace the cover, take both towers to the car and see if we could drop them off at the Salvation Army (it's close to where we're going to shop).

Reply 106 of 106, by AlienBZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dropped this PC (as well as that white tower which I put Windows ME on) off at the Salvation Army the other day.

to all who posted in this thread:

Thank you very much for helping me and for giving me advice.