VOGONS

First post, by Chewhacca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, need some serious help with something that's been bugging me for the past week. I have this i/o controller that i can't seem to get working in my 386 system.

Some pics:
DSCN1755.jpg
DSCN1754.jpg
DSCN1753.jpg
DSCN1751.jpg

Now, i can't for the life of me find out any useful information about it. The only markings it has are "6624UG" under the jumper blocks and "94VO" under the right hand edge of the HDD connector.

The closest shred of information i can find is this: http://vicerveza.homeunix.net/~viric/oldcomps … rd-um82c86.html

The layout of the board is strikingly similar but isn't really a match for it.
Can anyone help me?

Reply 1 of 16, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most of those cards were based on generic reference designs, so the jumper settings you found are probably the same.

But you should clean that card before anything else... it's not surprising that it doesn't work considering how grimy the slot contacts are.

Reply 2 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried cleaning the contacts with alcohol+paper cloth or a pencil eraser? It looks a bit dusty.
Also, have you tried the card in another board? There "might" be somekind of compatibility problem with the 386 board?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 16, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is it, though? It looks to me like it's supposed to have a serial and a parallel port on it.

Am I misunderstanding your question, or have you really never seen a multi-IO card before? 😕

Yeah, it's supposed to have a serial and parallel port, though somebody took the DB9 connector off that one for some reason... in fact, it has two serial port headers and a game port header, in addition to the IDE and floppy, just like the hundreds of other various multi-IO cards out there.

Reply 5 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

What is it, though? It looks to me like it's supposed to have a serial and a parallel port on it.

There are com connectors in the top right (can vaguely read COM1/3 and COM 2/4) but the parallel is indeed missing.

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
iulianv wrote:

The parallel is "on-board"...

DOH!

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 16, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, methinks some people forgot to get their cup of coffee this morning. The parallel port is onboard, and it's kinda hard to miss, too. Big black DB25 port, takes up most of the back edge of the card, says "Printer" right above it...

Reply 9 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Yeah, methinks some people forgot to get their cup of coffee this morning. The parallel port is onboard, and it's kinda hard to miss, too. Big black DB25 port, takes up most of the back edge of the card, says "Printer" right above it...

I think this was more a situation of "time for cup #2! 😁"

Lol, been a while since I last messed with those ISA controller cards 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 16, by Chewhacca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, tried this out in the 386 and JP7 disables the floppy controller. Tried it out in my K6-3+ with the motherboard COM and LPT ports disabled and a few system analyzers and it detects the COM and LPT ports but doesn't seem to do much else. Forgot to mention that no matter what I seem to do, the 386 motherboard (Contaq-386) always says "HDD controller failed."

Reply 15 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Chewhacca wrote:

🤣, just tried a 128mb Conner drive and it works! Sweet! 😁

That's what I call "fast shipping"!!! 😁

😜 😜 😜
Any luck with any of the other ports?

Report spammers here!