VOGONS

Reply 60 of 72, by GuillermoXT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did ask that question on another forum already but did someone managed to get a cf (Master) and a CDrom drive (slave) working together using only a (non-pnp) soundcard's IDE port?
Currently the cf only seems to work combined with the Xtide Bios attached on a network card.
When I connect a hdd as slave instead of the CD Drive both are successfully detected.
Even when i boot with floppy (Xtide pulled out)
with drivers and connect only the CDrom it won't work.
Before i used unisound on a pnp card and it worked fine.

EDIT: CDRom works now with and without xtide BIOS booted by Floppy but when i combine it with a cf or hdd vide-cdd.sys does not detect the CDRom drive.

My Retrosystems:
K6-2 400 running Win98SE
P1-133 with Win3.11
Tandon 286-8MHZ Running DOS 5.0 on XT-IDE Card

Reply 62 of 72, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just like to add that the most efficicient cdrom driver doesn't have to mean the least memory use.
QEMM memory manager can compress memory fo fit more programs into smaller memory spaces.
Has anyone tried Rudolph Loews dos tools for the optical department? I hear there are even burner tools for data
and I was going to put together DOS machine with qemm and a GUI likely quikmenu III.
A kind of windows 3.1 alternative for DOS I have played One Must Fall 2097 launched from quikmenu with a qemm config.

Reply 63 of 72, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my experience the most memory efficient CD driver doesn't necessarily means the most compatible. One example is that on Warcraft II (DOS version) when using the CD playback for music and the entire faction soundtrack finishes playing the music will stay silent for the rest of the game session until you toggle the CD music checkbox or exit the current session, this happened when using VIDE-CDD.SYS on a LG CED 8120B CD-RW burner with MSCDEX.

Only when using OAKCDROM.SYS or GSCDROM.SYS solves that problem.

Reply 64 of 72, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-08-07, 23:02:

In my experience the most memory efficient CD driver doesn't necessarily means the most compatible. One example is that on Warcraft II (DOS version) when using the CD playback for music and the entire faction soundtrack finishes playing the music will stay silent for the rest of the game session until you toggle the CD music checkbox or exit the current session, this happened when using VIDE-CDD.SYS on a LG CED 8120B CD-RW burner with MSCDEX.

Interesting. I should run this experiment on my retro system.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 65 of 72, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2021-08-08, 06:12:

Please do if you have time, it would be interesting to know the outcome 😀

Reply 66 of 72, by dizzydevil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I cannot confirm the problem with VIDE-CDD.SYS,
I checked on my cd-rw LiteOn sohr-5239V02C drive and with the VIDE-CDD.SYS driver in the game Warcraft2 (dos) everything is fine.
CD music is repeated in the game.
I think that the Gmlb256 has problems with the VIDE-CDD.SYS specifically with its cd drive.
Instead of MSCDEX I am using the latest shcdx308.

Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-08-08, 07:00:
dr_st wrote on 2021-08-08, 06:12:

Reply 67 of 72, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dizzydevil wrote on 2021-08-08, 16:55:
I cannot confirm the problem with VIDE-CDD.SYS, I checked on my cd-rw LiteOn sohr-5239V02C drive and with the VIDE-CDD.SYS drive […]
Show full quote

I checked on my cd-rw LiteOn sohr-5239V02C drive and with the VIDE-CDD.SYS driver in the game Warcraft2 (dos) everything is fine.
I think that the Gmlb256 has problems with the VIDE-CDD.SYS specifically with its cd drive.

This is why I mentioned the LG CD-RW drive since in my case was CD drive as you said. Certain CD drive may or may not work well with some of the DOS drivers, that what I'm trying to say.

Reply 68 of 72, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GuillermoXT wrote on 2021-07-17, 04:47:

No one?

Sound card ide headers are usually set to the third/fourth IDE channel.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 69 of 72, by dizzydevil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I understood you. Indeed, VIDE-CDD.SYS may not be universal for all cd-roms drives.
For example, when I replaced MSCDEX with SHCDX33F,
I was getting an error in only one NFS1 game.
But when I updated SHCDX33F to the latest version shcdx308 created this year,
I no longer encountered problems.
And of course this driver is much less memory intensive.
This is just information that I am sharing buddy, thanks for your post too (about LG and VIDE-CDD).

Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-08-08, 17:13:

This is why I mentioned the LG CD-RW drive since in my case was CD drive as you said. Certain CD drive may or may not work well with some of the DOS drivers, that what I'm trying to say.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-08-08, 22:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 70 of 72, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The bug was fixed because the author has received an email about it and he has been very nice to fix it in a matter of days.

He is looking for a new developer but he may be available to fix other issues, I just sent him an email last time.

Reply 71 of 72, by Oerg866

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you must save conventional memory, SHSUCDX and UIDE (or rather XHDD/XDVD) are definitely the way to go.

Sadly I have to avoid both, because two of my favourite DOS games don't work with them.

TEMPEST 2000 won't detect / properly play CD audio with UIDE.
FIFA 96 won't work with SHSUCDX ("File Read Error")

Reply 72 of 72, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-08-08, 17:13:
dizzydevil wrote on 2021-08-08, 16:55:
I cannot confirm the problem with VIDE-CDD.SYS, I checked on my cd-rw LiteOn sohr-5239V02C drive and with the VIDE-CDD.SYS drive […]
Show full quote

I have an LG CD-ROM and I forgot to test it last week. 🙁 Now it will be a couple of weeks at least before I get another chance with my DOS system.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys