VOGONS

First post, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an MT-32 unit that I want to hook up to my Optiplex GXPro via the gameport. However I noticed that while the GXPro has a built in SB16, it doesn't seem to have a gameport (why?). I do have a SB Awe 32 that I could use which does have a gameport, but I'm worried that I'll run into conflicts between the two so I have a few a questions:

1. Will the MT-32 work with the Awe32?
2. If I disable the the on-board audio, will that prevent conflicts between the two?
3. How is the Awe32's backwards compatibility with the SB-16?
4. What line would I need to enter into the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys to use the Awe32 and the MT-32?

Tempest

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 1 of 45, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. Yes. But keep in mind that the MIDI interface on AWE32 cards has a few problems (see "hanging note bug", "MPU401 intelligent mode").

2. Yes.

3. An AWE32 is a SB16 with a few add-ons, they're basically the same thing.

4. Depends on the AWE32 model you want to install, but all you need for the MT-32 is to configure the MIDI port address (default is 330h).

Reply 2 of 45, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
5u3 wrote:

1. Yes. But keep in mind that the MIDI interface on AWE32 cards has a few problems (see "hanging note bug", "MPU401 intelligent mode").

Is there a fix for this? Where can I read more about this problem?

Tempest

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 3 of 45, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dont think there is any fix short of getting a true mpu401 or compatible card.
Switching the sb32 for a non creative card, (or awe64?) would fix hanging note problem though.

Reply 4 of 45, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok so what's the best sound card to use with the MT-32? MPU-401's seem to be rare and expensive.

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 5 of 45, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmm...
...maybe a cheap Ensoniq card like AudioPCI ?
That one can fake intelligent mode (can do 2 sysex messages but many times that is enough - still not for ALL games...)

MIDIMAN 401 or other mpu 401 compatible cards are the best solution if you do not want to shell out serious bucks for a Roland interface. It will still not be very cheap either.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 7 of 45, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was lucky to get a musiquest 16 card for 20$ shipped earlier this year. In original box and documents and floppies.

So its still possible to find a mpu401 compatible interface for a good price, but you gotta be patient and be on the lookout.

Reply 8 of 45, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What MPU-401 interfaces are there? I've simply been searching for "MPU-401"

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 9 of 45, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Midiman mm401. Musicquest and the Roland MPU401 cards (mpu-ipc, mpu-at etc..) are about it for DOS.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 10 of 45, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was going to start a new thread about this, but I noticed I already made a thread a few years back.

I'm attempting to get this all working (real life got in the way and I had to put all my DOS stuff in storage for a bit). I'm actually using a Pentium 200 class machine now, but still using the AWE32 card. My questions are:

1. Can someone describe or point me to some info on this hanging note bug?

2. From what I've read on Nerdly Pleasures (I think someone here writes that don't they?) the AWE32 doesn't support Intelligent Mode and does some sort of half-assed emulation of an MPU-401 unit. How well does this work for older games? I've read that the newer games (Monkey Island 2) seem to work with this, but I'm more concerned about the older games like the Sierra On-Line adventures.

3. If the above won't work with the Sierra games, what's the cheapest way to get the MT-32 interfaced? Are there better options now (I see some new clone cards on ebay)?

4. Will the fact that I'm using a Pentium 200Mhz machine cause issues? I think the speed problems were only with the first version of the MT-32 and I have the second version. Otherwise I do have a 486SX that I could use.

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 11 of 45, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In storage for a bit (5 years) 😊

The Sound Blaster is actually fine for driving a MT-32. The hanging note bug is mostly an issue with later DOS games that use General MIDI as well as digital sound effects.

So for the golden MT-32 games from Origin, Sierra, Dynamix or Lucasarts, the Sound Blaster with SoftMPU will do just fine.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12 of 45, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

In storage for a bit (5 years) 😊

The Sound Blaster is actually fine for driving a MT-32. The hanging note bug is mostly an issue with later DOS games that use General MIDI as well as digital sound effects.

So for the golden MT-32 games from Origin, Sierra, Dynamix or Lucasarts, the Sound Blaster with SoftMPU will do just fine.

That's what I was hoping to hear. When configuring games with this setup, do I select MT-32 or General Midi?

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 13 of 45, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Usually MT-32, but the LA devices sometimes show differently. With X-Com: UFO Defense for example, you should select LAPC-1.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14 of 45, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The hanging note is also dependent on the which bus chip you have. if you have a CT-1747 chip with the yamaha core, you wont get hanging note bug.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 15 of 45, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BloodyCactus wrote:

The hanging note is also dependent on the which bus chip you have. if you have a CT-1747 chip with the yamaha core, you wont get hanging note bug.

Incorrect. The CT-1747 mitigates some of the hanging note problems, but the only ways to avoid them entirely are to use an unaffected DSP for your MIDI output or use twin SB16s, one for MIDI and one for digital audio.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17 of 45, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd say the best way to answer all your questions as you already own all the hardware is simply give it a try.
If you hit a problem (the hanging note bug for example) then look into/ask what the solution is. rather then spend money on something that was never a issue in the first place!

Reply 18 of 45, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe Phil was spot on with the hanging note bug only affecting General MIDI (not MT-32). Here is more info on the topic:
http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Hanging_note_bug
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2012/07/s … 64-options.html particularly:

Hanging Notes MIDI

It is important to identify games which produce hanging notes as a result of incompatibility with the various DSP versions of the 16-bit Sound Blaster series. : DOOM, DOOM II, Heretic, Hexen, Raptor, Hocus Pocus, Duke Nukem 3D and Blood are all examples of games which suffer from this bug. There are other games which may occasionally produce hanging notes regardless of the midi interface being used. Any game using LucasArts iMuse system may be subject to it. This includes Star Wars - X-Wing and Tie Fighter (floppy versions) are good examples of such a game. Only the former are addressed here.

AWE64s use DSP 4.16, so there will be no hanging notes midi bug. AWEs prior to that use DSP 4.13 for the most part, and all these DSPs are known to suffer from the hanging notes midi bug. The bug will only occur when digital sounds and midi are being played. The best fix for the problem is to use another card for MIDI. The CT2760 is the card where you will most likely see the 4.11 and 4.12 DSPs. Rev. 3 of the CT2760 probably has the 4.13 DSP. This bug will not be present in any card using the CT-1747 chip.

and
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2012/07/s … ibulations.html

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 19 of 45, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tempest wrote:

4. Will the fact that I'm using a Pentium 200Mhz machine cause issues? I think the speed problems were only with the first version of the MT-32 and I have the second version. Otherwise I do have a 486SX that I could use.

Yes. Because many of the games that support MT-32 are also older games that don't have speed-limiters built in. For example, Wing Commander 1 and 2, and Ultima 6 and 7 all run too fast at Pentium speeds. And most Sierra and LucasArts point-and-click adventures don't run too fast, but either crash or give garbled sounds with a Pentium. If you can slow your system down to 386 or 486 speeds, these issues go away. See here for more info:
http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_C … sensitive_games
The easiest option is Setmul by forum member gerwin, since it lets you do it entirely in software, so you don't have to change jumpers on your motherboard, go into the BIOS to disable caches, or use a real 386/486 to run them on. There is more info on this in the link in my signature.

Using Setmul, I can run my Pentium Overdrive 200MMX at Pentium 133, 486-25 and 386DX-25 speeds, all without having to even reboot.

Cheers!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks