VOGONS

MT-32 + SC-55 @ same computer

Topic actions

First post, by DBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all

Is it possible, to use MT-32 and SC-55 simultaneously? I've got a Roland MPU-401 card, with two MIDI out.

I've never tried, but probably the two units will get the same midi command, so all of them will sound. How can I get rid of this? Is there a way, to address only one of them?

For example, one solution can be, that I use the MIDI out of SC-55, and when I want the MT-32 to sound, I forward all MIDI commands on SC-55, while disabling it...
But I don't know that can I do such thing...

Any idea?

Reply 1 of 25, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe you can do like you described, plug in the MT32 to the SC-55 MIDI OUT, but just turn the volume down on the SC-55 when you aren't using it- it'll still play MIDI data but you won't hear it.

Unfortunately I haven't tested this since I only have one power adapter to share between my MT32 and SC55.... so I have to plug/unplug when I want to switch devices 😒

Another option is a switch box like this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Data-Transfer-A-B- … #ht_1209wt_1163

Plug your MIDI OUT from your MPU401 into the input, and the MT32/SC55 MIDI IN into the two outputs, and you can choose between them.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 25, by DBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't tested this yet neither.

Probably I can do this magic with SC-55. Imagine yourself as a musician, who has a lot of MIDI device, and all of them does different thing at the same time. There must be a way to do this.

The best would be, if I could automatize someway, via sysex commands in a batch file. Like "forward via the through port + mute", then MT-32 take over the place, or something like that. Tomorrow I will check this (now it's just passed midnight).

Reply 3 of 25, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, you can:

Method 1 :

6208300994_19729daf27_b.jpg

Method 2 :

6202493662_cb5e402982_b.jpg

(Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Last edited by Malik on 2011-10-03, 17:12. Edited 1 time in total.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 25, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey Malik, did you just make these images from scratch ? 😜

I never tried any of them two methods, i always switched the connector manually (my midi interface has 1 output) but i planned to give a try to the "daisy chain " method. I wonder if the SC will still pass the midi signal when its in "standby" mode. If it does, it certainly can make things a bit simpler and more attractive.

Reply 5 of 25, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MaxWar wrote:

Hey Malik, did you just make these images from scratch ?

Yeah, I was kind of bored on this sunday morning. Guess I had some free time to do a rough sketch using Windows' Paint. 😁

Reply 7 of 25, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
noshutdown wrote:

i don't have the roland mpu-401 shit, so i would rather set up two sound cards, and connect each of their joystick ports to one sound module. 🤣

You can still daisy-chain 2 modules with a single sound card.

MT-32 requires intelligent mode for those games that use this feature to play the correct notes. Other than that any sound card with midi output would do for GM or GS sounds. In fact, the only main reason to get a MPU-401 unit or 100% compatible is to use the "intelligent" mode feature. If not, any sound card with MPU-401 "compatible" is good enough.)

Reply 8 of 25, by DBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know Malik, that I can connect them this two way.

My question was, how can I do, that only one (the one I want to) unit will play. Both of them will get the midi message, so I guess, both of them will play simultaneously, until I disable one someway.

But it's still theoretical, because I didn't have time to try it yet. It's early at the morning here, time to shopping. When I came back, I will test it 😀

Reply 10 of 25, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have three devices hooked up in a daisy-chain. MT-32, SC-55 and a Yamaha TG-100. The computer has a Gravis Ultrasound and a Creative AWE32 with the DB50XG daughterboard.
GUS Lineout and the three MIDI devices are connected to a small audio switch which connects to the line-in of the AWE32. All devices are turned on and I don't have to fiddle with the volume, just select the device I want to listen to.

::42::

Reply 11 of 25, by DBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Probably this is the easiest way, to use some kind of audio-switch.

Simply turning the volume knob on the MT-32 won't help, because it's can be override from midi commands.
The SC-55 has standalone volume knob, but I don't want to play with that.

I've just had an another idea. The PC of course has a LPT port, so I can make an programmable audio switch. Driving LPT ports very easy, and I can make a "LPT programmable audio/midi switch" 😁

So basically, it will be possible to switch from batch file.

But, of course, it will take some time 🙁

Reply 12 of 25, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mystery wrote:

I have three devices hooked up in a daisy-chain. MT-32, SC-55 and a Yamaha TG-100. The computer has a Gravis Ultrasound and a Creative AWE32 with the DB50XG daughterboard.
GUS Lineout and the three MIDI devices are connected to a small audio switch which connects to the line-in of the AWE32. All devices are turned on and I don't have to fiddle with the volume, just select the device I want to listen to.

What are you using to drive the external devices? If you're using the GUS I'd like to know how you did it because I can't get my GUS Classic's MIDI port to work under DOS. I tried fiddling with settings in MegaEm but no luck so far.

Reply 14 of 25, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No. At least my SC-55 mk2 needs to be powered on in order to pass the MIDI data through to my MT-32. I use the the single 'mute' button when I want to hear MT-32 output and not SC-55.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 16 of 25, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:
noshutdown wrote:

i don't have the roland mpu-401 shit, so i would rather set up two sound cards, and connect each of their joystick ports to one sound module. 🤣

You can still daisy-chain 2 modules with a single sound card.

MT-32 requires intelligent mode for those games that use this feature to play the correct notes. Other than that any sound card with midi output would do for GM or GS sounds. In fact, the only main reason to get a MPU-401 unit or 100% compatible is to use the "intelligent" mode feature. If not, any sound card with MPU-401 "compatible" is good enough.)

i see, but can't bother to get that breakout box. i would rather get a scc-1 whose midi connector is said to support intelligent mode as well.

Reply 17 of 25, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

What are you using to drive the external devices? If you're using the GUS I'd like to know how you did it because I can't get my GUS Classic's MIDI port to work under DOS. I tried fiddling with settings in MegaEm but no luck so far.

They're hooked up to the AWE32, it's just easier that way.

The GUS is usually used just for scene demos etc.

Basically everything runs, in one way or another, through the AWE32 in my setup.

It's not perfect, because the AWE32 has some background noise, but the solution is at least more or less hassle free 😉

::42::

Reply 18 of 25, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see... I have an SB16 in my 486 which has a working MIDI port but I've also got a daughterboard attached to it... so if you want to use Sound Blaster digital sound plus an external MIDI device it gets a bit confusing 😜

I was hoping to use the GUS' MIDI port to avoid that but as far as I can tell its not possible...

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 19 of 25, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
noshutdown wrote:

i see, but can't bother to get that breakout box. i would rather get a scc-1 whose midi connector is said to support intelligent mode as well.

True. To get the breakout box WITH the ISA card is quite difficult. Roland's MPU-401 breakout box is easy to find, but the MPU-401 ISA card is difficult to get.

SCC-1 is a good 2 in one alternative (SC + MPU-401 Intelligent).

Another good card which is 100% MPU-401 compatible, including Intelligent Mode (Thanks Amigaz! - learnt this from him), which I'm using in one of my classic systems, is Music Quest's PC MIDI Card. It's a short card with a d-sub like connector on the bracket, whcih comes with an adapter, where the cable can be connected directly to a MIDI module like the MT-32, using the ordinary MIDI connector cable.

6207522728_d75f7ba589_b.jpg

Not many know of this card's MPU-401 Intelligent mode compatibility capability. So it usually goes cheap (also becuase it's a MIDI interface card only).