VOGONS

First post, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I got my hands on what seems to be a very well preserved Epson Equity LT Portable PC (the power adapter is not original, but improvised using a Cisco switch PSU, but it works) - it looks just like this one:

http://retrocosm.net/2011/01/16/epson-equity-lt/

It came with MS-DOS 3.20, but I wonder if I can upgrade it - ideally to MS-DOS 5.0 (is this the latest available on 720KB floppy disks?), if supported by the Nec V30 CPU. Other than that, I learned that pretty much is "fixed" on it (the 640KB of RAM, the 20MB hard-drive, no FPU socket), but I can't wait to put it to some good use 😀.

So, what's your experience with MS-DOS on ancient PC XT (8088/8086/V20/V30) architectures?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 14, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

later MS-DOS (5.0, 6.22, whatever) will run just fine on 8088/8086/V20/V30 CPUs,

The thing to check is if the current DOS 3.2 on the Epson is really identical to "generic" MS-DOS 3.2... some of the machines from that generation (especially laptops) had some OEM-specific variations in DOS to support certain hardware features.
I guess just try to boot a newer DOS from floppy and see if it sticks :)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 3 of 14, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want EDIT instead of EDLIN and QBASIC instead of GWBASIC 😀 - if those two (plus any Norton Commander clone) can be run under 3.20, then I'll stick to it. I'll also have to find some suitable utilities (to check disks for bad blocks, to show some system inventory, etc)... I just found out that Windows 2.11 286 will run on an 8086/8088, so that's another lead I'd like to follow.

As for customization, this 3.20 version does indeed come with at least one custom setup utility, that configures for example the serial port's parameters or the "auto off" feature for the LCD panel - I'll have to find a way to preserve that (and see if there are more)...

Reply 4 of 14, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not in your definition of 'ancient', but I found general directory browsing and command launching was noticeably quicker with MSDOS 5 compared to 6.22 on my 286. I don't think the better memory management functions are of any use to 286 and lower machines anyway.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 5 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I run a 10MHz V30. I like DR-DOS 7.03 with QRAM 808x memory management, although you need LIM 4.0 EMS memory to really take advantage of it. I also found a way to load DOS into UMB memory by replacing one of the QRAM files with one from a later version of QEMM. I documented it pretty well on vintage-computer.com forums, but nobody really took interest. Using this method, I was able to free up almost 620kb of conventional memory with DOS and drivers loaded into UMB. DR-DOS also natively supports task switching, which is pretty nifty, though that also requires LIM 4.0 EMS.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 14, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only have 640KB of RAM, so I don't have to worry about XMS/EMS/UMB 😀 - I guess my next dilemma will be choosing between MS-DOS 5.0 (for a bit more available RAM) vs. MS-DOS 6.0 (for more disk space using DoubleSpace) 😀...

I just installed MS-DOS 5.0 and started installing Windows 2.11 286 - unfortunately the kit I found is missing the COURA.FON file on the Fonts disk, so the setup was aborted. Even so, Windows does start, but obviously looks incomplete - I'll be looking for another kit, maybe eventually I'll get lucky...

Reply 7 of 14, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are going to use DOS' disk compression, use dos 6.22 with doublespace. Drivespace had some nasty data loss bugs in it.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 8 of 14, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd have thought disk compression on an something as lowly as an XT (or equivalent) would be horrendously slow?

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 10 of 14, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

back when the "family computer" was an XT clone with a 20MB HD, my dad installed STACKER for disk compression (that was before DoubleSpace / DriveSpace)... and I actually don't think it had any significant performance impact.
The CPUs in those machines were slow, but so were the hard drives - disk access could frequently be a bottleneck, and in those cases compression could even *help* because you'd be doing less reads/writes.

I'd still probably avoid it (disk errors were harder to detect/fix... plus the driver was just one more thing sitting on a precious piece of your 640KB RAM). But that's just me :)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 11 of 14, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For now there's plenty of hard-drive space left (~18 megs) - the next step will be to complete the installation of Windows 2.11 (found a 386 version with all the font files there, so I'll copy the missing one on the Fonts disk of the 286 version and try again). Then some utilities, then some games, then some programming tools, then a proper charger, then I'll probably get bored and move to something else 😀...

Reply 12 of 14, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what you need is MS-DOS/V 6.2 or PC-DOS/V 6.3... I believe it is the newest you can go

I think it is available on MSDN if you have an account... ja_msdos62.exe
unfortunately it is in japanese, but who cares if you know how to use dos?

Reply 14 of 14, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the Win 3.0 tip - I searched and found that it still supports 8086/8088 in real mode, so I went for it. So far I have MS-DOS 5.0, Windows 3.0, Volkov Commander and two games (Blockout and World Class Leaderboard - both a pain for the eyes in 4 colour CGA mode on this old LCD, but still playable), and still have almost 13 megs of disk space left 😀.