VOGONS

Tillamook 266MHz and working L2 cache?

Topic actions

Reply 300 of 502, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2020-10-19, 01:36:

RichB93, that is an interesting discovery about the AL1 pin not being connected to GND, thereby having some MB's forcing the chip into single rail mode. It could explain why many boards don't work with the Tillamook, but does a Tillamook generally not turn on at 3.3V single-rail?

On my board it did work in single rail mode, with the core and I/O using the same 3.3 or 3.5V, depending on the voltage I set. But, in this mode I couldn't drop below those voltages due to the 'auto detect' feature of the board.

I wonder if on other boards they use single rail, with the core and I/O both at the much lower voltages? Could anyone else check this?

Reply 301 of 502, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know little about this CPU.

What's the minimum multiplier? 2x?

Has anyone checked the datasheet to see if multiplier can be software controllable? Does it have the same TR12 registers as the normal desktop MMX?

Reply 302 of 502, by moumiaq

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Tillamook 266MHz sitting for a few weeks and yesterday i noticed that i have a Jetway TX98B lying around . I updated TX98B with the last bios and tried the cpu . It starts but no post no beep no heat on the processor . The board works with a Pentium 200MHz . I jumpered the m/b for 2.1 Volt , 66MHz , 4x Multiplier . I might have a broken cpu i do not know . What settings did you use on Jetway TX98B ?

Reply 304 of 502, by galanopu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you RichB93 for the great work!!
I can confirm that with the latest addition (Green mod - VCC2DET) the compatibility is greatly increased.
I have maybe 10 different Socket 7 motherboards. I will test them at some point.
As for now and with this mod, Tillamook works on my ASUS P5A v1.06 ATX. Correct voltages too.

Let's mod everything! Check my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ6ULBqIKhxuNslAbqFNJUg
Interested in my devices? Check my store:
https://migronelectronics.bigcartel.com

Reply 305 of 502, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can easily change the voltage on most boards, just look up the datasheet of your VRM and check the resistor values.
Can you post a photo of the corresponding area? Then we can maybe calculate the required resistor values.
Also, many times there are undocumented jumper settings for voltage. That's because the resistors are connected in parallel together by them.

Reply 306 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ordered one of these and will be playing with it soon. What would you say is faster?

Tillamook @ 4 x 75mhz
Or
k6 3+ @ 6 x 75mhz

Is there any way to get higher than 4x multi on a tillamook?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 307 of 502, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-21, 03:49:
I ordered one of these and will be playing with it soon. What would you say is faster? […]
Show full quote

I ordered one of these and will be playing with it soon. What would you say is faster?

Tillamook @ 4 x 75mhz
Or
k6 3+ @ 6 x 75mhz

I can't believe anything but that the K6-3+ with its full speed L2 cache and 150mhz extra would run in circles around the Tillamook ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 308 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-01-21, 19:47:
I ordered one of these and will be playing with it soon. What would you say is faster? […]
Show full quote

Tillamook @ 4 x 75mhz
Or
k6 3+ @ 6 x 75mhz

I can't believe anything but that the K6-3+ with its full speed L2 cache and 150mhz extra would run in circles around the Tillamook ..

I also expect it to be the winner but I'm not so sure it's going to be as far off as you think. the pentium mmx was a very good cpu that many programs were coded for

okay, here is another thought experiment for you.

dual p1 233mmx
vs
k63+ at 450
(on windows xp)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 309 of 502, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-21, 20:40:
I also expect it to be the winner but I'm not so sure it's going to be as far off as you think. the pentium mmx was a very good […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Tillamook @ 4 x 75mhz
Or
k6 3+ @ 6 x 75mhz

I also expect it to be the winner but I'm not so sure it's going to be as far off as you think. the pentium mmx was a very good cpu that many programs were coded for

dual p1 233mmx
vs
k63+ at 450
(on windows xp)

Won't bet anything on that, that is too tough. But for gaming, I would still expect the K6-3+ having the upper hand. And I for one is actually an Intel fanboy 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 310 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-01-21, 21:30:
I also expect it to be the winner but I'm not so sure it's going to be as far off as you think. the pentium mmx was a very good […]
Show full quote

dual p1 233mmx
vs
k63+ at 450
(on windows xp)

Won't bet anything on that, that is too tough. But for gaming, I would still expect the K6-3+ having the upper hand. And I for one is actually an Intel fanboy 🤣

Needless to say I’m going to be posting some interesting benchmarks soon:p

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 311 of 502, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I made some benchmarks on page 7.
The CPU is able to even run at 400MHz!

Re: Tillamook 266MHz and working L2 cache?

I didn't compare it to a K6-III+ at that time, but i've measured quake and speedsys for this particular configuration.
Afair I used PC100 SDRAM, not EDOs.

So why just go for 4x75 when you can have 4x100 ? 😉

Reply 312 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LeFlash wrote on 2021-01-22, 07:10:
I made some benchmarks on page 7. The CPU is able to even run at 400MHz! […]
Show full quote

I made some benchmarks on page 7.
The CPU is able to even run at 400MHz!

Re: Tillamook 266MHz and working L2 cache?

I didn't compare it to a K6-III+ at that time, but i've measured quake and speedsys for this particular configuration.
Afair I used PC100 SDRAM, not EDOs.

So why just go for 4x75 when you can have 4x100 ? 😉

Cause 430tx motherboard

Ooo I’m gonna have to compare to em when I get the k6 3+ Up and goin

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 313 of 502, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-01-21, 22:09:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2021-01-21, 21:30:
Show full quote

dual p1 233mmx
vs
k63+ at 450
(on windows xp)

Needless to say I’m going to be posting some interesting benchmarks soon:p

Looking forward 😁

Reply 314 of 502, by gonzo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there real no chance to get a multi of 4,5x to reach 300 MHz at 66 FSB??

I have an AIR 54TDP here with HX-chipset (Dual-Socket-7; https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/A … tium-54TDP.html) - it boots fine with L2 enabled and one or two (YEAHHH) Tillamook(s) , but at the moment only at 233 (1,5x=3,5x 66 MHz). Still to test possible undocumented FSB-options (over 66 MHz) by myself...
The Vcore is maybe very high (only split-voltage-option for P55C -> I assume only for 2,8 V...), but for the moment it boots stable, still without any OS (DOS etc.).
Until know no more tests made (no really time to do), but nice to have...

Reply 315 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

so is it safe to connect red yellow and green bridges? just to get it over with and that makes it work in all boards? socket 5/7 assuming proper voltage? just so I understand. or can they hurt on some boards?

so I just got mine and it has the 4x multi bridge already installed does that mean that it will over ride any setting on the motherboard or does that mean I need to remove all multi jumpers from the motherboard? will they conflict? does this mean that the only way to get another setting is to remove the bridge?

we need a tillamook interposer 🤣 I hate modifying these chips but gotta do whatcha gotta do I guess.

also, is smp in any way possible on these with a mod or has it been totally removed?

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 316 of 502, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the necessary 2.5V IO voltage of the Tillamook that gets overvolted on desktop boards to 3.3V still an issue?
When I made some experiments with Tillamooks many years ago I used to put a standard diode (not Schottky!) in the IO supply rail so the voltage dropped from 3.3V to 2.6V.
Back then I started a SMP project with a Gigabyte GA586DX but never finished it.

Reply 317 of 502, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
majestyk wrote on 2021-01-24, 20:33:

Is the necessary 2.5V IO voltage of the Tillamook that gets overvolted on desktop boards to 3.3V still an issue?
When I made some experiments with Tillamooks many years ago I used to put a standard diode (not Schottky!) in the IO supply rail so the voltage dropped from 3.3V to 2.6V.
Back then I started a SMP project with a Gigabyte GA586DX but never finished it.

can you make a guide to that mod? will a normal motherboard fry a tillamook?

you were expecting to be able to do dual tillamooks? I thought the smp had been removed from these? though I hope I am wrong because I have a dual socket 7 motherboard coming to experiment with

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 318 of 502, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I doubt there's an easy generic mod. You have to check to find a trace where your board sends the 3.3V to the CPU and cut there.
The other components that need 3.3V won't be happy with 2.5V. Every board is different in layout.

The Tillamook is missing the needed SMP-pins. According to the datasheet, they are "NC". But to be fair, i've never tried that.
Maybe it's just not officially supported. But i don't have a board to test it.

After all, these CPUs where made for laptops.

Reply 319 of 502, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gonzo wrote on 2021-01-24, 18:16:
Is there real no chance to get a multi of 4,5x to reach 300 MHz at 66 FSB?? […]
Show full quote

Is there real no chance to get a multi of 4,5x to reach 300 MHz at 66 FSB??

I have an AIR 54TDP here with HX-chipset (Dual-Socket-7; https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/A … tium-54TDP.html) - it boots fine with L2 enabled and one or two (YEAHHH) Tillamook(s) , but at the moment only at 233 (1,5x=3,5x 66 MHz). Still to test possible undocumented FSB-options (over 66 MHz) by myself...
The Vcore is maybe very high (only split-voltage-option for P55C -> I assume only for 2,8 V...), but for the moment it boots stable, still without any OS (DOS etc.).
Until know no more tests made (no really time to do), but nice to have...

Does that board recognize both CPUs? It's pretty awesome if this is actually possible? And what about Operating System?