VOGONS

First post, by limboy777

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi I am looking for some information on a cpu developed by cyrix/texas instruments which basically fits onto a 386 moherboard.

I have a 386 PC with sx25 processor. Can I replace this with a 486 SLC/DLC chip by de-soldering the 386 chip and replacing with a 486 DLC/SLC.

Apparently there were 3.3v and 5 volt version. I am assuming I would need a 5v as the computer I have is a desktop.

Is the one pictured here a 5volt or 3.3v

(and how do you tell). Grateful for any help

Retro Collector

Reply 2 of 13, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would not do it for sure if I were you. The fact that you own 386sx-25 means that the mobo is from a relatively cheap, low-end system. It most certainly does not support 486 DLC, as it is meant to be an upgrade for decent 386DX-40 mobos. You are going to ruin both chips, that's all.

It might be easier for you to change you mobo to a 386DX-40 one without even getting 486DLC, as it will work almost as fine with DX. If you're looking for info on your motherboard, I recommend this: http://museum.ttrk.ee/th99/

P.S. Don't mind my grammar, English is not my mothertongue.

Reply 3 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think it will work in a 386SX motherboard, either, simply because the 386SX doesn't have as many memory address pins as a DX and an SLC/DLC will need those pins to be connected up.

Reply 5 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes, I have upgraded my IBM machine with a 486slc2 (originally the machine had a 386sx/20 and the slc2 works at 20/40mhz) that clips on the existing cpu

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 13, by limboy777

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just started another topic by accident.

Can the 386 be upgraded with a straight swap with a 486 slc and is there anything on the internet to show this has been done. I believe the 386 is soldered on so would require de-soldering and then soldering of the 486 slc.

Im talking about straight chip replacement rather than a clip on upgrade.

Retro Collector

Reply 10 of 13, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great to read, can't agree more.

Form my experience, the compatibility of these chips is much better than expected. I tested SLC and DLC as well as clock doubling SXL2 chips for DX boards with very old motherboards with no support for these CPUs and made very good experience with the "cache486" program from the "Make IT 486 upgrade". With this tool one can enable the cache and adjust the multiplier on the fly. Thats handy if you need to boost or slowdown the systems performance for particular games.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 13 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Should be possible. I have been considering to attempt this on a 25MHz 386SX board as well (yes, you should use a 5V part, unless you have a laptop with a low voltage CPU). I would be cautious if you want to use devices that require DMA though. In order for DMA to function correctly your board needs to support either hidden refresh or have the #flush line of the CPU connected to the DMA controller. It's actually possible to modify older boards to support the latter option. The procedure is documented in the 486DLC/SLC technical manual. The other alternative is to just not enable to cache.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium