VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SuperPI is good for testing how fast can a CPU calculate PI number, but this is limited to x87 code. So its good for testing pre-SIMD CPU's FPU performance.

However using SuperPI for testing today CPU's (some tech journalists do) is pretty retarded.

Reply 21 of 26, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

A 6x86-80 is still damn speedy at Zdoom (i've tested a Cyrix 6x86MX at that speed before years ago), so slowest FPU it isn't IMO

of course I could (and should) be proven wrong, I believe K5 could take the 'slowest s7' cake.

I have some acer socket 7 board with a K5 PR75 that could be run at 50mhz with 1x multiplier, also this board doesn't need ram to go in pairs, so i could emulate 486 32bit memory bus

2611708.png

Reply 22 of 26, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sebaz_ri wrote:
leileilol wrote:

A 6x86-80 is still damn speedy at Zdoom (i've tested a Cyrix 6x86MX at that speed before years ago), so slowest FPU it isn't IMO

of course I could (and should) be proven wrong, I believe K5 could take the 'slowest s7' cake.

I have some acer socket 7 board with a K5 PR75 that could be run at 50mhz with 1x multiplier, also this board doesn't need ram to go in pairs, so i could emulate 486 32bit memory bus

even if some versions of k5 can run at 1x clock, its fpu is still much faster than cyrix 6x86 clock to clock, so the "winner" goes to 6x86.

Reply 23 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:
sebaz_ri wrote:
leileilol wrote:

even if some versions of k5 can run at 1x clock, its fpu is still much faster than cyrix 6x86 clock to clock, so the "winner" goes to 6x86.

I've got them both beat. My Nexgen nx586's have no FPU so they would be the slowest because they have to emulate an FPU in software. 😜

And no, you CAN'T play games with only an emulated FPU. 🙁

Reply 25 of 26, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

I've got them both beat. My Nexgen nx586's have no FPU so they would be the slowest because they have to emulate an FPU in software. 😜

what? i havn't seen nx586 and didn't expect it would run on a socket7 board. 😅

Reply 26 of 26, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:
sliderider wrote:

what? i havn't seen nx586 and didn't expect it would run on a socket7 board. 😅

I know but I just thought I'd throw that in there to see how much of a stir it would cause. 🤣