Reply 280 of 311, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skorbin wrote on 2022-09-09, 13:45:
I had a GA-6VTXD, but unfortunately it was completely dead. […]
Show full quote

I had a GA-6VTXD, but unfortunately it was completely dead.

Currently I have a build with an ASUS P2B-DS 1.06 with a pair of 1000/100 slot cpus (yes, i was lucky to get them some years ago), so it's running with stock speeds.
When the project Tyan Tiger 200T is finished I will try to get two more duallies up and running: GA-6VXD7 and GA-BXDS.

About 15 years ago I bought 10 dual boards cheap when nobody wanted them. Unfortunately two were not recoverable and 4 boards went to friendly people from our forum who recapped the other boards for me.
So this still left me 4 boards I am currently experimenting with.
The ASUS is rock solid and is currently acting as part time non-professional backup recovery server for old media (various tape drives, ZIP, etc.), running under Windows 2000 and Debian.
The TYAN Tiger 200T is now also up and running, but will probably see some minor hardware changes (putting the second hdd on IDE channel #2, installing some fan, etc.).

hmmm, I wonder if the P2B_D 1.06 can handle 1gz 133 Coppermines, I have to do the mod to it so I can set the pci/agp dividers correctly. (Asus P2B-DS Rev 1.06 FSB Modification)

And yea them 100FSB P3s are super hard to get now.

Reply 281 of 311, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-09-09, 14:09:

hmmm, I wonder if the P2B_D 1.06 can handle 1gz 133 Coppermines, I have to do the mod to it so I can set the pci/agp dividers correctly.
(Asus P2B-DS Rev 1.06 FSB Modification)

The vanilla P2B_D 1.06 that I have here works with 2x 1gz 133 Slot1 Coppermines but only with 3 sticks of 256 RAM - 4 sticks is a problem.

Reply 282 of 311, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skorbin wrote on 2022-09-08, 18:19:
@Kahenraz I think you missed an important fact: this thread is talking about DUAL tualatins. What sense would it make to run an […]
Show full quote

@Kahenraz
I think you missed an important fact: this thread is talking about DUAL tualatins.
What sense would it make to run an OS, which cannot take advantage of the second cpu?
And if you happen to have such a mainboard laying around, wouldn't you try out what is possible with such a system?
I for sure do!
And I can tell you that I also plan to run a low ressource version of Linux on it, probably Debian with XFCE or Antix, maybe even going the hard road with Gentoo or Linux-from-Scratch.

Is this sensible?
For most people probably not, but hey, it's my hobby, my time and my electricity bill 😉

And I think this systen even can "run" Crysis 😀

I have the itch to try to build a Debian i386, maybe with xfce or possibly a ncurses or tickle based reserve machine.

I commented back on page 8. I used my P3TDe6 for over a decade, finally retired about 2015 when I needed it's E-ATX case for a fresh Jessie build. I don't think I'll revisit that board that's now in the original box, should sell it I guess. I was thinking to try the Intel (SA2?) board.

Notes on GPU's. The GTX610 and HD5450 will run @66MHz and it did double basic benches. If I try it I'll use the AMD obviously. In a VM that has already been proven decent.

I have a few 8 port sata pcix card, a few GB networks cards, and 4GB memory, so covered.

Not sure why, but it is an itch. Maybe since i386 is on the chopping block for current linux. Certainly it could have a modern browser, Dosbox, wine...hmmm. I might just write out that image I used for the HD5450 VM and simply try it...

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 283 of 311, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PARKE wrote on 2022-09-09, 14:49:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-09-09, 14:09:

hmmm, I wonder if the P2B_D 1.06 can handle 1gz 133 Coppermines, I have to do the mod to it so I can set the pci/agp dividers correctly.
(Asus P2B-DS Rev 1.06 FSB Modification)

The vanilla P2B_D 1.06 that I have here works with 2x 1gz 133 Slot1 Coppermines but only with 3 sticks of 256 RAM - 4 sticks is a problem.

IIRC the BX chipset has issues with 1gb of ram and 133 FSB, hmm 125FSB might allow 1gb of ram.

Reply 284 of 311, by Skorbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, first coming back about my remark concerning Crysis:
As I already assumed, the words "Crysis" and "running" did not really come together on my machine.
With an average of 8.5 frames/sec on 800x600 and all low settings on the benchmarked demo we can safely assume that this game would not be a very pleasurable experience.
It does "run", though ...

For the BX boards I tend to refrain from using 133 MHz. It is used often, but outside the spec and bears the risk of instabilities.
I rather run inside the specs and have a rock solid machine. Recovering old backups on a instable machine would make no sense.
For speedy things i have different machines available 😀

BTW, I use Debian on the ASUS, running from a 64 gb DOM and it works without any problems.
But as more and more programs use SSE2 as default, I intend to set up my own compiler platform to be able to keep those systems running. I think about using Gentoo.
The Tyan will probably be the native compiler and binhost for the other 3 dualies. Crosscompiling would be way faster but bears the risk of tainting the code with non-native instructions.

Edit:
Scratch the last remark. That Tyan BIOS seems to be extremly buggy and not adhering to the standards.
After some hours of fiddeling with various linux installations (Gentoo, Antix, Debian) and only getting kernel panics I decided to call it a day and limit myself to windows XP now with this machine.

Reply 286 of 311, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sometimes if they were used in industrial applications sellers will do crazy prices like that

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 287 of 311, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-01-19, 02:22:

Sometimes if they were used in industrial applications sellers will do crazy prices like that

Its pretty crazy pricing, I thought that 500USD for a Gigabyte GA-6VTXDR was a bit high but seems the other Tualatin capable boards run higher. There is a very nice looking working GA-6VXD7 for sale at the moment, it cant do dual Tualatin without pin mods but it does have AGP with an unpopulated ISA slot, I would take a gamble but its from Kazakstan which makes me wary.

I do own a pair of Gigabyte GA-6VTXDR boards ...sooo .. I might have to hold off on any more dual PIII boards 🤣. (I do want one with PCI-X on it .. have yet to find one at a reasonable price)

Reply 288 of 311, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-01-19, 02:31:

Its pretty crazy pricing, I thought that 500USD for a Gigabyte GA-6VTXDR was a bit high but seems the other Tualatin capable boards run higher. There is a very nice looking working GA-6VXD7 for sale at the moment, it cant do dual Tualatin without pin mods but it does have AGP with an unpopulated ISA slot, I would take a gamble but its from Kazakstan which makes me wary.

I do own a pair of Gigabyte GA-6VTXDR boards ...sooo .. I might have to hold off on any more dual PIII boards 🤣. (I do want one with PCI-X on it .. have yet to find one at a reasonable price)

Lots of good retro stuff coming out of east europe-asia reigon.

I’ve ordered a few things from the countries around there.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 289 of 311, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-01-19, 02:46:
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-01-19, 02:31:

Lots of good retro stuff coming out of east europe-asia reigon.

I’ve ordered a few things from the countries around there.

Ive had good success buying stuff from Ukraine, stuff from Kyiv even with the war still gets here to Australia amazingly fast, might take a gamble on the board if its still avaliable next month, might make a great modding project to add Tualatin support.

Reply 290 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-01-19, 01:05:

This thread seems to have gone quiet

Holy Moly . .Just checked the evilbay prices for the Intel SDS2 ...one for 3200 USD the other at 4600USD .. WTF

Makes me happy I snagged 2 in the last 2 months for $100 each. (Ish).

I haven't gotten around to yrst them yet.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 291 of 311, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote on 2023-01-19, 06:27:
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-01-19, 01:05:

This thread seems to have gone quiet

Holy Moly . .Just checked the evilbay prices for the Intel SDS2 ...one for 3200 USD the other at 4600USD .. WTF

Makes me happy I snagged 2 in the last 2 months for $100 each. (Ish).

I haven't gotten around to yrst them yet.

...gimme!

Seriously though, prices for certain items have shot through the roof recently along with shipping and import costs. Im patient however and ill eventually get one of them Intel boards at a price I can live with.

Reply 292 of 311, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Prices are a bit high for everything retro related now. I guess now would be a good time to sell one of my Pro266TD Master- LR . 😁

I'm in the process of building a pc with one of them. Dual 1400s, Geforce 4 Ti 4200, Hercules Game Theater XP. Not sure about which OS, do you have any experience using this board in win2k?

Reply 293 of 311, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sirotkaslo wrote on 2023-01-19, 09:13:

Prices are a bit high for everything retro related now. I guess now would be a good time to sell one of my Pro266TD Master- LR . 😁

I'm in the process of building a pc with one of them. Dual 1400s, Geforce 4 Ti 4200, Hercules Game Theater XP. Not sure about which OS, do you have any experience using this board in win2k?

I have yet to obtain a dual Tualatin board with AGP or PCI-X, the two I have only have PCI which with a X1300 is rather nice.

Reply 294 of 311, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got lucky a while back and got two boards. One with dual 1400s and one with 1266. I have only tested quake 3 with it and smp does make a difference there - in winxp. A huge bonus for me is the usage of DDR memory, which is much easier to get to a few GB than with SDR.

That x1300 is of course a beast when it comes to retro gaming, even though it's a bit new if you're into period correctness.

Reply 295 of 311, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sirotkaslo wrote on 2023-01-19, 10:44:

I got lucky a while back and got two boards. One with dual 1400s and one with 1266. I have only tested quake 3 with it and smp does make a difference there - in winxp. A huge bonus for me is the usage of DDR memory, which is much easier to get to a few GB than with SDR.

That x1300 is of course a beast when it comes to retro gaming, even though it's a bit new if you're into period correctness.

Its a dual 1.4s Tualatin board with 1gb of Ram on it, not sure where it falls with period correctness but I wanted a card that could haul ass while still on the PCI bus. Its not far off from a Geforce 4 Ti4600/4800 performance wise but its CPU bound as even dual 1.4s cant feed it data fast enough. I did initially think the PCI bus would hold it back but it doesn't seem too bothered by it, I have a ATI HD2400 Pro 512mb PCI coming soon which might be fun to throw in there to see if it makes a difference.

Reply 297 of 311, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whatcha think?

Dual 1.4 tualitin

Two setups:

One with a pci geforce 610

One with fastest agp 3850?

I think these are limited to 3.3? Agp though yes? (Reming me) So would be what a 6800 or a 9800?

Seems like >if< the drivers worked there might be a chance that the pci 610 might actually be best.

But check this out,

There also exist agp to 66mhz pci adapters. So the plot and question thickens.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 298 of 311, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I recall, most dual Tualatin boards had sub-par AGP performance.

I do have a project in the works for my dual tuallies, but I'm not ready to go public with it until I get one last part ....

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.