VOGONS

Am5x86/133

Topic actions

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today i have installed my 486 motherboard.. The craziest thing is, i dont know to brand of the motherboard iam using
So i dont know what the motherboard settings do..

I have tested the board out and it seems to work ok, only have a bios problem with remember the date i have set.. But when i set the time, then the time will be ok. I have alsoo replace the battery from the motherboard.
But that doesnt seems te work..

But my main problem is.. Now iam using an 486 DX4 100-S version. I think it works on 3volt.

But, i want to use a Am5x86/133 instead.. I want to know. Do i only have to stick it on the board for let it work?

The Am5x86/133 uses 3.45volt for the chip.. Do i need to set it to 3.5 volt?
And what about the bus speed and multiplier?

Is it correct that the normale bus speed would be 33mhz? for a 486 motherboard. And is it correct that a normal board only can use till 3.5 mulipliers and some will to only 3?

I red that the Am5x86/133 uses its own build in x4 multiplier so it could do 133mhz processor speed.. Is this correct.. I ask this because iam not very familiar with Am5x86/133 processor stuff.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 16, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I recall correctly, you set the multiplier at 2X and the AMD chip internally double clocks again, ie 2X 33mhz=66mhz + Internally 2X66mhz =133mhz

regarding 3.3V vs 3.45V, only the very latest mainboards support 3.45V I think, interestingly my board which supports cyrix 5x86s only has 3.3V, 4V and 5V jumper settings(Lucky Star too), I would try the chip at 3.3V if thats all it has.

Reply 2 of 16, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This are the board setting of my board..

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/G/GE … 6VLG-X2-X4.html

The settings for the x2 multiplier are the same as the 2,5x and x3 multiplier..
So i guess this board wont support this processor?

I think i over see some thing here..

Going to try it out now!

Edit; i forgot to put a cap over a jumper.. Tried that, but didnt work also..
Iam going to look for another solution.

Reply 3 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your motherboard probably supplies 3.45 no matter what it says on the silkscreen. You can always get a multimeter to verify.
It is not possible to set amd 5x86 to 2X. Internally the chip supports 3X and 4X. That's all. If your board has a 2X/3X jumper, 2X always remaps to 4X on the 5x86 chip. No 486 CPU ever used 2.5X multiplier.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 16, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When i put a jumper cap over that jumper i mentioned earlier, then the systems stay on a black empty screen..
When i remove it, it sees the cpu as a 486 DX4 100S processor.. and then the system is working, but not at the right speed..

Reply 5 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, because I believe you mentioned the VRM is actually not soldered to the board, so setting the jumper probably just gives you an open circuit.
If you want to use 3.3V chips on your motherboard without damaging them, you will need to either solder the missing components onto your board, get a VRM interposer. Otherwise you need a new motherboard.

Reply 6 of 16, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dont know if the VRM is soldered to the board.. And i dont know what you means by that open circuit (iam not technical enough to understand that)
So you are saying that the board only can use 5v or 3v perhaps? And doesnt support that 3,5 volt thing that i need to get this processor running?

A VRM interposer for this processor would be very difficult to get nowdays.. I dont think that would be the solution for now i guess.

Reply 7 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, I confused your 133MHz with one from the other forum member.

What it looks like to me is that your board doesn't officially support the am5x86, and it's possible there is some kind of BIOS conflict. This is a pretty common problem with the AMD 5x86, and many users are stuck running at 100MHz.

When the chip is set to 3X mode, the CPU identifies itself to the BIOS as a DX4. When the chip is set to 4X mode it identifies itself as a 5x86. In the case of your motherboard, it doesn't know the 5x86 ID and refuses to boot. Some motherboard BIOSes do this, and others don't. A BIOS update is likely your only solution.

Reply 8 of 16, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Exactly as stated above - BIOS update.

Same experience got with the PVI-486SP3 rev 1.2, where the BIOS was, if I remember correctly, version 0304. Rev 1.8 had a 0306, which accepted the processor, otherwise the same jumper settings gave me a Am486DX 120, but I really don't get it how, since the FSB was set to 33MHz, so it was most probably a bug in recognition. Now using 0307 from the guy with the hacker typing gif from System Shock 1 intro. Can't remember His name, sorry...Very good bios though, I've heard it makes the TNT work, but I don't know under what terms, since I was never able to make that VGA work both with 2D and 3D games on the mentioned board 🙁 .

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 10 of 16, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to try a other bios rom chip? I think this one couldnt be the orginal one i guess. Because what i do, the date still remains on the year 2094

Reply 11 of 16, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine also has those odd bugs, my M919 board will only POST if the CPU is configured as an AMD DX4.
It also identifies at 160MHz at 50x3, weird stuff eh?

I assume the misconfigured CPU type is why the L1 cache mode is grayed out in the BIOS as well.

Edit:
Did you check/replace the RTC battery?

Reply 13 of 16, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How fast is the Intel Pentium OverDrive 83MHZ comparing with the AMD Am5x86/133?

I think the 83mhz would a little bit fast i guess? Am i right?

Reply 15 of 16, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheLazy1 wrote:

Mine also has those odd bugs, my M919 board will only POST if the CPU is configured as an AMD DX4.
It also identifies at 160MHz at 50x3, weird stuff eh?

I assume the misconfigured CPU type is why the L1 cache mode is grayed out in the BIOS as well.

Is your L1 cache mode grayed out in the BIOS when you set the motherboard to 4x33? I have two M919 boards. One of them greys out the L1 mode at 4x33, while the other does not. Swapping the BIOS DIP chip between them does not help either. It actually gets grayed out and stuck in write-through instead of write-back mode. Jumpers on both boards are set the same and are both of the same PCB revision 3.4 B/F. I think this is just one of those unforgetful PC Chips moments.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 16 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's just a damn shame that those PCchips boards all have very late model UMC chipsets. The good UMC chips are a complete waste on these boards.