VOGONS

First post, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As much as I wanted a BX based P II/III V2 SLI system, it does not work for me.
Tried several motherboards, 1 ZX and 2 BX. With drivers which are supposed to work with mismatched V2's. Although both cards are detected by Win98SE, I cannot run them in SLI. I even re-made my DIY SLI cable. No luck.
Instead I have SLI on my VIA socket 370 mobos.

Any ideas, fellows? Any of you managed to run 2 mismatched V2's on BX/ZX/815 boards?

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 1 of 14, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do both cards work separately? Did you try a premade SLI cable, besides the DIY one? What do you mean by "I cannot run them in SLI"? System crashes, games do not run, you cannot play at 1024x768...?

Reply 2 of 14, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All V2 cards work separately, at 800x600. I made my SLI cable; If I made it wrong it would not work with VIA mobos.
So, on VIA mobos I am able to run games in SLI, at 1024x768. On Intel BX/ZX/815 the SLI link is not detected. If I try to play a Glide game I get a black screen.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.

Reply 3 of 14, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What do you mean by mismatched v2? Like using one 8mb and one 12mb card? If so then there shouldn't be a problem as the 12mb card would be set to 8mb in software (lose 4mb in texture but frame buffer is unchanged as both are same) but the boards or the software might be the problem.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 14, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

By mismatched I mean cards by different manufacturers. I have 3 V2 cards, all with 12 Mb.
Diamond Monster 3D II, CMC Orbit 3D and Powercolor Evil King. I tested all the possible combinations and the result is the same. SLI works with VIA chipset, does not work with Intel.

Reply 6 of 14, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Olivetti NetStrada 1400 PC and ASUS P2B with BX chipset; ASUS P2-99, ZX chipset; SLI does not work.
Iwill BXv98 and Chaintec 6AIA2-D100, VIA 693 chipset; SLI works.
Have not tested yet Shuttle AV18 with VIA 694 and an Intel 815 made by Intel.

Reply 8 of 14, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any particular reason you want to run V2s on a BX? Period- correctness? I couldn't get my V2 SLI setup with an Intel 440BX-2, but they worked fine on VIA 694A motherboards. Finally, I got an 815E board that works a treat .

Reply 10 of 14, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have 2 mismatched V2 running on my Asus P3B-F with BX chipset. No problem whatsoever both with 2x12mb and 12mb + 8mb (I have 5 Voodoo2 cards 🤣 ). You are sure you are running with the latest Fastvoodoo drivers?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 12 of 14, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fastvoodoo 4.6 here. Tried even Koolsmoky's latest.
@sgt76: it seems BX chipset is more tolerant with my soundcards, both ISA and PCI; my old Yamaha SW20-PC works without a problem and I have SB DAC compatibility with Yamaha 7x4 cards.
Need to run some more tests, especially with the Shuttle board. I think I might have fried it's AGP. Put in a S3 Savage4 and I got smoke, melted plastic in the slot and an exfoliated trace on the v. card.

Reply 13 of 14, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to resurrect my old thread, but I ran some more tests; as I suspected, I managed to fry the AGP slot of the VIA 694 board;
Tested the SLI setup with an Intel i815 board+P III 1 GHz; well, it works... sort of. My test game is Unreal. It runs @1024x768, but there are some graphical glitches.
Same thing happened with a VIA KT133+Duron 750.
If you played Unreal, you know there is a freezer? room where you can get armor, right in the beginning of the game, near the bridge of the crashed ship. Well... There are some glitches there; if I turn, alternating lines are out of sync, but only at the lights.
This does not happens on the VIA 693 boards. I suspect the Voodoos do not like FSB higher than 100.
Right now I cannot test this on another boards; or maybe on my nForce2+Sempron 3000+.
Any help/ideas?

Reply 14 of 14, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fillosaurus wrote:
Sorry to resurrect my old thread, but I ran some more tests; as I suspected, I managed to fry the AGP slot of the VIA 694 board; […]
Show full quote

Sorry to resurrect my old thread, but I ran some more tests; as I suspected, I managed to fry the AGP slot of the VIA 694 board;
Tested the SLI setup with an Intel i815 board+P III 1 GHz; well, it works... sort of. My test game is Unreal. It runs @1024x768, but there are some graphical glitches.
Same thing happened with a VIA KT133+Duron 750.
If you played Unreal, you know there is a freezer? room where you can get armor, right in the beginning of the game, near the bridge of the crashed ship. Well... There are some glitches there; if I turn, alternating lines are out of sync, but only at the lights.
This does not happens on the VIA 693 boards. I suspect the Voodoos do not like FSB higher than 100.
Right now I cannot test this on another boards; or maybe on my nForce2+Sempron 3000+.
Any help/ideas?

the amount of noticeable SLi scanlines depends on the refresh rate & use of vsync or not