Voodoo 5 5500

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 129, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Great Hierophant wrote:

I have always pronounced it as the word AWE, but AWE is an acronym for "Advanced Wave Effects", so I think that A-W-E is a fair way to say it. Does anyone try to say CGA, EGA, VGA, IDE, VLB, PCI, USB or AGP as a word and not the letters? Some people do that for ISA (ice-a), but that is incorrect. On the other hand, who says S-C-S-I instead of scuzzy?

For those other examples, though, except for maybe EGA and IDE it is difficult to pronounce them as words. EGA you could say ee-ga or egg-a and IDE you could pronounce like you would pronounce 'the IDEs of March" but neither would really sound right. AWE and SCSI just seem to work as words. And what's wrong with ISA as ice-a? At least it isn't like pronouncing OS X as OS echs instead of OS ten.

Reply 101 of 129, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

4 letters seems about the point it's conventional to begin pronouncing acronyms as works - as in NASA, NORAD and SCSI. 3 letter ones are rarely sounded out - NFL, NBA, NHL, DDT, HDD, LCD, LED etc..

Reply 102 of 129, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And what's wrong with ISA as ice-a?

I don't see the problem either. That's always been the common pronunciation... in fact, the only people I've ever heard spell it out have been youngsters unfamiliar with older hardware. Same with EISA (ee-suh).

Reply 103 of 129, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always pronounce these acronyms in my native language so that's obviously not comparable. I do say es-see-es-i instead of scuzzi though. Because scuzzi sounds kinda stupid.

Reply 104 of 129, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"ice-a" slot, "piece-i" slot really? I-S-A and P-C-I!!! C-P-U, G-P-U, F-P-U-, P-S-U
There are no hard and fast rules though I would think acronyms should technically not be pronounced as words.

Wonderful discussion here BTW "L-O-L"..

Reply 107 of 129, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just purchased myself this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310678401321?ssPag … 984.m1423.l2649

Pity it doesn't actually work in 1.5volt motherboards!

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 108 of 129, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mwdmeyer wrote:

Ah so you were the one... I was tracking it out of curiosity - nice! but over my head:)

Reply 110 of 129, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mwdmeyer wrote:

Yes I probably should have spent the money on more important things! Haha.

Nice find heh, just not so great that the seller bought 9 of them for 100us on ebay usa and probably wants to keep reselling them at a much higher price

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 111 of 129, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was watching that voodoo 5 as well. $250 doesn't sound THAT bad of a deal. Considering the normal one will go for half that.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 113 of 129, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo 5 6000 is in crazy price territory, I suspect I'll never get one.

I'd love to see one in action thought, I wonder if anyone in Australia owns a working one....

Yeah the price wasn't too bad, I didn't think I would get it at all. I was expecting some people to bid on it at the end but that didn't happen.

I'll post pics when I get it!

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 114 of 129, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree - My own retro involvement is pretty "glide centric" myself and if I ever spring for something for the trophy case I'd be looking for something like that card...

Reply 118 of 129, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And what are those google pics supposed to tell you? There are lists of people all over the world who own those cards and it's something like <100. Some already paid over €2000 for this card.

Reply 119 of 129, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:

They are rare. Just because there happen to be a few people hoarding them at the moment doesn't make them any less rare.