VOGONS

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So a lot of us in here would love a 486 motherboard with the following abilities:

50MHZ bus capability
PCI bus divider setting/jumper
PS/2 mouse port

Well in this crazy search that seemed preety impossible and while bringing back to life my LS486 rev D board, i went checking datasheets of IC's and stuff.

OK so the Holden HT6542B Keyboard controller does have PS/2 mouse capability. I guess some of you already knew that. Problem is complete information about every jumper setting in this board seems impossible to find in the web. So i looked around the board.

It does have 50MHZ bus option. Already knew that.
It does have PCI bus divider. Already knew that.
It has a 5 pin connector (6 but pin #2 is not there) marked as J2.

OK i can't find anything about that J2 connector. But pin #2 is non-existant and we know that pin#2 and pin #6 are only used for when a second PS/2 connector is present. Again, it might be a coincidence, but pin #4 in the board has a trace that connects to the 5V keyboard pin. I have hogh hopes!!!! I actually have a backpanel with a 6 pin adapter for PS/2 mouse!!!

What scares me is that it seems there are no traces connecting the other J2 pins to the correct positions in the Holden controller.

What i have to do right now is test the damn board. Connect a PS/2 mouse in there, i'll install DOS and load the logitech mouse driver. If the driver detects mouse then i'm rightful owner of a board everybody would love to own!!!

BTW, if the mouse does not get detected, i guess i'll just have to solder 3 wires...

Reply 1 of 6, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PS/2 mouse is working!!!!! More testing needs to be done!!! I've had this awesome board all this time and i didn't know i had a PS/2 mouse connector there!!!!!!!

Reply 2 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

PS/2 mouse is working!!!!! More testing needs to be done!!! I've had this awesome board all this time and i didn't know i had a PS/2 mouse connector there!!!!!!!

PS/2 on a 486 board is good. Too bad my (currently only) 486 doesn't come with PS/2 but oh well...

Edit:Do you have a pic of the board? Descriptions are good, but pics tell a thousand words 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 6, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks ok to me.

atc1425bp.jpg

http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486pci/atc1425b.htm

There are quite a number of good 486 boards. A-Trend did make nice boards back then.

There are other boards too from various manufacturers which have good layout and have flexible components.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 5 of 6, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Too bad i can't boot it at 50MHz. I was trying to get my AMD 5x86 @200 MHZ but at that speeds board does not boot. It could be the CPU though. It does boot @160MHz even though i had to tamper cache speed and such.

Reply 6 of 6, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just set the cache to maximum speed and it's holding out well. The RAM seems to be the culprit.

Plus all my PCI cards seem to be handling the 40MHz bus just fine. I've tested with and without PCI divider.