VOGONS

RAM on a 286 motherboard

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a question about ram on a 286 motherboard..

I can install dip ram and SIP ram..

I think iam going choose DIP because its easier to get these days..
otherwise i also could use SIP instead if dip would hard to get.

The motherboard support a option to use it as normal 640KB conventional and xxxx as EMS ram. Or 640KB and xxxx as extended memory

Now its configured as 640KB conventional memory and 384 extended memory..

I know that a AT compatible only can use extended memory in protected mode.. I want to know.. does it make sense to add ram to create extended memory on a 286 (i know windows would use extended memory)

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I once had a 286 motherboard that let you install DIP or SIPP, but you couldn't use them together. This probably varies according to the manufacturer.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 24, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I once had a 286 motherboard that let you install DIP or SIPP, but you couldn't use them together. This probably varies according to the manufacturer.

Mine 286 motherboard has the same..

Dips or Sips.. (cant use both)

And i want to know about extended memory..

Could it be usefull like on the 386 and 486 systems?

I think its only needed when running `protected` mode i guess?

Or should i upgrade the ram? and make it EMS from it?

I actually want to make it extended ram because i have also EMS memory boards laying around and want to use it for EMS..

So then i could have benefit from extended and EMS memory.

That was my first thought.

Reply 4 of 24, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

30 pin SIMM and SIP modules are pin compatible. If you have a motherboard requiring SIP modules but you only have SIMMs, just solder some pins on.

Yeah i know, but takes time to solder does pins on the printed circuit board connectors.

Reply 5 of 24, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robin4 wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

30 pin SIMM and SIP modules are pin compatible. If you have a motherboard requiring SIP modules but you only have SIMMs, just solder some pins on.

Yeah i know, but takes time to solder does pins on the printed circuit board connectors.

I have several megabytes in sipps (willing to trade if you need them)

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 6 of 24, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a 286 board with sipp only slots, and instead of soldering pins on some simms, I found an alternative which is a lot easier(at least for me that I don't have so good soldering skills). I had some dead 386 boards from which I desoldered the simm slots. (Not me actually, I gave them to a friend who could do that). If you have the simm slots completely intact, then it's easy to insert their pins to the sipp holes, litteraly converting the sipp to simm slots.

Reply 7 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Extended memory has its uses on a 286 motherboard. There are a number of games that can take advantage of it, and lets not forget Windows 3.1 requires it. From what others have said, quite a number of Windows 3.1 apps only use 286 mode anyway. Windows 3.1 is usable on a 286 so long as you have at least 4MB of RAM.

Reply 8 of 24, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Markk wrote:

I had a 286 board with sipp only slots, and instead of soldering pins on some simms, I found an alternative which is a lot easier(at least for me that I don't have so good soldering skills). I had some dead 386 boards from which I desoldered the simm slots. (Not me actually, I gave them to a friend who could do that). If you have the simm slots completely intact, then it's easy to insert their pins to the sipp holes, litteraly converting the sipp to simm slots.

That's a good tip that should be stickied somewhere. High density SIPPS are difficult to find and in any case never reached the highest density that 30 pin SIMMs did so maxing the RAM on a board with SIPP sockets can be an exercise in frustration.

Reply 9 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something tells me 16MB SIPPs would be of little use on a 286 motherboard.

Reply 13 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't know 1MB SIPPs were rare. At one time I had access to an entire jar full.

Once I even had a 20MHz 286 motherboard with 1mb SIPPs.

Reply 14 of 24, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I didn't know 1MB SIPPs were rare. At one time I had access to an entire jar full.

Once I even had a 20MHz 286 motherboard with 1mb SIPPs.

1mb SIPPS don't come up for sale often but 256K ones are for sale every day. That's one reason why it took me so long to find a fast 286 motherboard for my Harris chip, I was specifically looking for one with 30 pin SIMM slots instead of SIPP slots because I have piles of 1mb 30 pin SIMMs but no 1mb SIPPs at all. A lot of the boards I was seeing had a combination of SIPP and RAM chip sockets on the board and I didn't feel much like having to hunt down the parts to populate them.

Reply 15 of 24, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I feel lucky now - just bought 8 SIPP modules, 2 of them are 1 mb. the lot cost about USD 10 with shipping. I can now upgrade my 20 Mhz CHIPS mobo with a Harris 20 Mhz + Intel 87XL copro to 3.5 megs.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 16 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is your 80287XL running at 20MHz, or does it run at 1/2 or 2/3 bus speed?

Reply 17 of 24, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Need to test that somehow. Jumper settings are for "sync to CPU" and "sync to oscillator" but the oscillator is missing from the board. The copro runs considerably hot even idle. I am thinking about getting a heat spreader for it.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 18 of 24, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think i solve the big problem.. I won a couple of 1MB sipps.. So i think to remove the 256K Dip from that board..
I have also installed a AMD 287 12mhz co-processor on it..

But on the question of that extended memory.. I much do i need exactly to run windows on it> is 1400MB just enough?

Other question..

Are 531000 dips the same as 511000 dips.

the 53ers are 70ns
the 51ers are 10 ns

Reply 19 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

80287XL was only ever rated by intel to run up at speeds of up to 12.5MHz....but this may have been because intel itself never made 286s faster than that (AMD and Harris did). A heatsink is probably a pretty good idea though, otherwise you should get a Cyrix or IIT FPU rated for 20MHz.