VOGONS

Dumpster diving!

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 39, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice dumpster you have in your country.. I wish does dumpsters would be in my country too...

For the second board look on vintage computers.. I know you also have a topic running there.. I posted you an URL where to download the motherboards manual.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 23 of 39, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah it's thanks to your link that I found out that the jumpers weren't set correctly. Now the board works and I have two working 486 boards with VLB. I'll probably sell one when I make up my mind which one to keep 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 24 of 39, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The latest dumpster finds:
- Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty with front panel
- complete socket 7 system (QDI P51430tx titanium I B+ mainboard, Pentium 233MMX, Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4520, ATI 3D Rage Pro PCI)
- brand new DVI cable

Pretty damn neat 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 25 of 39, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More stuff from the trash:
- 17" Philips LCD with a few bad caps and missing stand
- 19" Samsung LCD with a few bad caps
- HP Laptop zd8000 but no charger and no battery
- HP nx6110 with a failing LCD which I replaced with a spare that I happened to have
- a complete C2D E6300 system with a broken PSU

Life is good 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 27 of 39, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't found anything worthwhile in the trash for a while...until now! Came up with two LC-Power ATX power supplies, both 550W, one needs a recap. One AOpen XC Cube, Pentium 4 socket 775, stripped of everything but the CPU, motherboard and PSU. Haven't tested it but it's still a relatively useable PC, if it works.

Also got a 17" HP ProBook 4710 - dead motherboard, no hard drive, no RAM, no power supply.. I'll salvage what I can and toss the rest.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 29 of 39, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think this particular model supports and C2D processors... it has AGP and DDR1 so no dice. Regardless, there's always people who'll gladly take a free PC for home use. I have plenty of spare hardware to make it a complete system again.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 30 of 39, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bleh not worth it then. I hate P4 with passion.

The thrift store gives me PCs for free quite often and I am going to start turning down anything with a P4.
(my last score was pretty nice. Dual core Athlon with W7 installed!)

Reply 31 of 39, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has anyone been in trouble with the law for 'stealing' trash? I think you can extract gold and other valuable materials from old computer components, so I'd expect the recycling companies to strongly oppose retro gaming geeks making off with "their" stuff.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 33 of 39, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2fort5r wrote:

Has anyone been in trouble with the law for 'stealing' trash? I think you can extract gold and other valuable materials from old computer components, so I'd expect the recycling companies to strongly oppose retro gaming geeks making off with "their" stuff.

I personally haven't, though I have been scolded a couple times over the years for poking through the trash. I really believe it depends on where you live if trashpicking is against the law or not.

smeezekitty wrote:

I've gotten to the point where I won't even touch a P4 if there's one at the dump, because that's what I usually see whenever I see computers at the dump. Of course, there are a few exceptions, like when I found a P4 with a GeForce 5950 Ultra a few weeks ago. And the occasional S423 system, but only if it's relatively complete.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 34 of 39, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sutekh94 wrote:
I personally haven't, though I have been scolded a couple times over the years for poking through the trash. I really believe i […]
Show full quote
2fort5r wrote:

I personally haven't, though I have been scolded a couple times over the years for poking through the trash. I really believe it depends on where you live if trashpicking is against the law or not.

smeezekitty wrote:

I've gotten to the point where I won't even touch a P4 if there's one at the dump, because that's what I usually see whenever I see computers at the dump. Of course, there are a few exceptions, like when I found a P4 with a GeForce 5950 Ultra a few weeks ago. And the occasional S423 system, but only if it's relatively complete.

P4 Northwoods are all I ever find in desktops these days. Nothing older, nothing newer. It's to the point where if I find a machine that I'm not sure of, I have to search online for the model number to see what's in it before I pick it up because I don't want any more P4 machines. If it has a promising looking video or sound card showing, I'll open it up and yank that and leave the rest.

Reply 35 of 39, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another episode of Dumpster Diving!

I got an LG M228WA-BZ monitor last month. The power supply was shot (black burn marks and some components missing - burned off) and the video PCB had one bad cap (470uF 25V). By stroke of luck I got a similar 19" monitor with an identical power supply that worked. I just had to change the bad cap on the video PCB and I got a working 22" LCD screen for next to nothing!

It's a really nice screen with every possible input option except HDMI and USB so it's well suited for retro gaming as well as PC/console gaming in general.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 36 of 39, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use that one for retro needs. I only wish it didn't do image processing (edge softening) with SCART/S-video/Composit inputs. You can't disable it and it gets quite annoying.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 38 of 39, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
2fort5r wrote:

No, however I have been told I can't take stuff from the transfer station by some workers there. Not too long ago I was about to put a nice samsung flat panel monitor in the car when some guy was like "hey man you can't take stuff". I tried to explain that I have been there about 10 times before and none of the other workers care, some are even helpful and nice, but this guy was not the same. Good thing I got the packard bell on the last trip or it would have been gone! I also go to the closer transfer station of saturday where we know the guy who works there and he lets me take whatever!

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 39 of 39, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

Oh? On my model edge softening is not enabled so I guess I'm happy with that 😀

Have you tried with the inputs mentioned? VGA/DVI doesn't have any image processing.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs