VOGONS

First post, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, all...thinking of changing around my Win98 video card setup.
My machine is the 3.4GHz 512MB P4 "ultimate" machine I built several months ago.

-currently 6800 Ultra AGP w/ 2x Voodoo2 w/ 100MHz chips

Considering changing to either (just because I'm a tinkerer):

-fx5700 Ultra AGP w/ Voodoo3 3000 PCI **OR** fx5200 PCI w/ Voodoo3 3000 AGP

I have all the cards and have read elsewhere that anything above FX isn't "quite" compatible with some older games, but what exactly is not compatible? Seems to have worked well with most everything I've thrown at it, but would hate to be surprised. Mostly playing games up to about 2000, some GLide games. I realize the CPU overruns both cards, probably, but considering compatibility for everything retro I may play. My monitor setup is a 27" 1920x1200 LCD w/ DVI/RGB/HDMI input, and I'm duplicating the screen in Windows setup and just switching the inputs for whatever game I want to play at the moment.

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 1 of 19, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What would this forum be without the monthly "best Win98 video card" thread 🤣

Don't see the big difference between these choices... the only benefit of GFFX over GF6 is probably table fog support. With these Nvidia cards it's more important to pick the right driver and maybe even stay on an older DirectX version. Voodoo3 is better than Voodoo2 SLI in any respect if you don't intend do play DOS Glide games but you will need to change primary VGA in the BIOS each time.

Reply 2 of 19, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gotcha on the Voodoo 3, and the 2 PCI slots being consumed is an annoyance with the Voodoo2 (anybody need a pair?), but I wasn't necessarily seeking the "best" card, more along the lines of the 6800 giving me anything that the fx iterations won't -- or vice versa, considering my planned usage. I'm over the whole "retro-ness" thing on this PC and just want something that will suffice for me, and cause the others in the household minimal drama when they dig into my old PC game library and just HAVE to play something on it.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 3 of 19, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Naturally I wouldn't expect better legacy compatibility from a newer card, but obviously you'll have more performance for AA/AF at high resolutions with that 6800 card.

I just found this interesting site btw, might as well post here instead of opening a new topic: http://zp.amsnet.pl/cdragan/wizard.php

Table fog always seems to come up first when legacy compatibility is discussed, so I checked RasterCaps.FOGTABLE. It lists ATi cards until X1900 as supported, and even GF9 for Nvidia. I looked at the HD 3000 on my notebook in AIDA64 and even there it's checked 😳 but of course all of this is only theoretical if it doesn't work in actual games 😀

Last edited by d1stortion on 2013-12-28, 03:34. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 19, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Indeed! Sometimes, too many choices are a bad thing...that's how we all of the sudden wind up with 5+ different retro computers.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 5 of 19, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
7cjbill2 wrote:

Indeed! Sometimes, too many choices are a bad thing...that's how we all of the sudden wind up with 5+ different retro computers.

That has happened to me before not that I regretted it but learned a lot, it helps to just have the cards on hand and one good rig to use them all with.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 19, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Too bad it doesn't have 9x drivers, does have xp though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOTAC-ZT-40605-10L-Ge … =p2054897.l4275

WDM drivers started with w98, but it's a matter of xp api/dlls not being present in 9x I imagine.

Reply 7 of 19, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Geforce fx5900 and fx5950 are nice cards.
They have a bit better "old game" compatibility than the Geforce 6xxx series.
I see them as the optimal DX7/DX8 cards.

But for a dual boot with XP the Geforce 6800 Ultra would be my first choice 😀
You can play most of the DX9 games on that machine if you install another 512mb ram.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8 of 19, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
The Geforce fx5900 and fx5950 are nice cards. They have a bit better "old game" compatibility than the Geforce 6xxx series. I se […]
Show full quote

The Geforce fx5900 and fx5950 are nice cards.
They have a bit better "old game" compatibility than the Geforce 6xxx series.
I see them as the optimal DX7/DX8 cards.

But for a dual boot with XP the Geforce 6800 Ultra would be my first choice 😀
You can play most of the DX9 games on that machine if you install another 512mb ram.

My 3570k@4ghz, integrated gpu@1.3ghz, and memory@pc2000 has GPU stats of 2.6 gpixels, 5.2 gtexels & 32gb/s bandwidth, making it faster than a 5950 ultra, stats wise, and benches faster than an a64 4000+ with sli'd 6800 ultras.

Reply 9 of 19, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ih8registrations wrote:

My 3570k@4ghz, integrated gpu@1.3ghz, and memory@pc2000 has GPU stats of 2.6 gpixels, 5.2 gtexels & 32gb/s bandwidth, making it faster than a 5950 ultra, stats wise, and benches faster than an a64 4000+ with sli'd 6800 ultras.

You wont get much use of that machine in Windows 98 though.
No drivers.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 10 of 19, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
ih8registrations wrote:

You wont get much use of that machine in Windows 98 though.
No drivers.

I'd just run 32bit XP which drivers are directly available for, but could also play around to try to get the WDM drivers to work in 98.

Reply 11 of 19, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I may just table the idea for a while since I've got some other irons in the fire and since I have a fairly suped-up PIII system attached to the big monitor for most GLide games.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 13 of 19, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ih8registrations wrote:

Can't for the life of my understand the purpose. If my MoBo has no AGP or PCIe, this card cannot live up to the hardware. If my MoBo DOES have AGP and/or PCIe, I'll get a card with that architecture. I guess it's good for multi-monitor uses, that's it, but still, most modern cards have multiple outputs. Curious. Best thing I can't think is people upgrading server boards.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 16 of 19, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
7cjbill2 wrote:
ih8registrations wrote:

Can't for the life of my understand the purpose. If my MoBo has no AGP or PCIe, this card cannot live up to the hardware. If my MoBo DOES have AGP and/or PCIe, I'll get a card with that architecture. I guess it's good for multi-monitor uses, that's it, but still, most modern cards have multiple outputs. Curious. Best thing I can't think is people upgrading server boards.

GT430 isn't so powerful that PCI chokes it off that much. They have a GT610 out now and there was a GT520 before that. You're not going to be gaming with these cards, anyway. They are meant for running a second monitor or as a cheap alternative to integrated video. They are also good for PhysX cards.

Reply 17 of 19, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
7cjbill2 wrote:
ih8registrations wrote:

GT430 isn't so powerful that PCI chokes it off that much. They have a GT610 out now and there was a GT520 before that. You're not going to be gaming with these cards, anyway. They are meant for running a second monitor or as a cheap alternative to integrated video. They are also good for PhysX cards.

GT430 is the strongest of the three. It's double the texel rate of my overclocked 3570k's iGPU, but only a third of the memory bandwidth(if only they had gone with 128bit, which is still only 2/3 bandwidth of what I have.)

Reply 18 of 19, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ih8registrations wrote:

GT430 is the strongest of the three. It's double the texel rate of my overclocked 3570k's iGPU, but only a third of the memory bandwidth(if only they had gone with 128bit, which is still only 2/3 bandwidth of what I have.)

A 9500GT PCI is even more powerful than GT430. They're getting a bit hard to find now, though.

Reply 19 of 19, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Higher pixel and bandwidth, lower texel. I'm thinking the way to do it would be to get the fastest AGP card and match it with a PCI-e version, compare pii? iii to present. Fastest AGP is the Radeon 3850(10 10 53), 4670(6 24 12.8/16/28.8/32), other? (pixel texel bandwidth)

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/agp … inosaurs.96305/

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_4670/