VOGONS

Reply 440 of 495, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you go to the first post in this thread, there is a link to a Google Sheets spreadsheet where you input your results.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 441 of 495, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
James-F wrote:

What if I match dosbox cycles with the results of Doom and PCBench, can I presume the emulated dosbox machine and the real machine are equivalent? I found that 55,000 dosbox cycles equal to Pentium-133 average on Phil's Excel list, would you say that it's a "safe bet" or roughly equivalent?

Equivalent for similar code - VGA action games without fpu utilization.
It's better to look at the group of lowest CPUs there wich are faster, - it's P100. Performance equivalent in other similar games may differ in some degree.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 442 of 495, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This may be a silly question. Or an already answered question. In the VGA database there are a lot of entries that say "too fast" under 3D Bench. It looks 3D bench only records up to 999.9. Does this mean those folks are making an assumption that because their Pentium4 or Athlon XP or whatever only scored 245 that could mean either 1245 or 2245 and therefore we can't know for sure? Or is that something else?

Sorry if this has been answered but I didn't see it anywhere on Phils site or in this thread, but the thread is long so I definitely could have missed it.

Reply 443 of 495, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rhuwyn wrote:

This may be a silly question. Or an already answered question. In the VGA database there are a lot of entries that say "too fast" under 3D Bench. It looks 3D bench only records up to 999.9. Does this mean those folks are making an assumption that because their Pentium4 or Athlon XP or whatever only scored 245 that could mean either 1245 or 2245 and therefore we can't know for sure? Or is that something else?

You are spot on. And no, it is not a silly question. 😀

Reply 444 of 495, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rhuwyn wrote:

Sorry if this has been answered but I didn't see it anywhere on Phils site or in this thread, but the thread is long so I definitely could have missed it.

Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database Project

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 445 of 495, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I added a bunch of results from my Packard Bell with a TNT2 M64: P75, P90, P100, P120, P133 and P150MMX and P180MMX.

Reply 446 of 495, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice. Amazing how many results have been entered. It slows down my PC when I access it 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 448 of 495, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
James-F wrote:

Congrats on the new Mod status, you are well beyond deserve it! 😀

Cheers man 😀

Reply 449 of 495, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just added results for my new Intel 486dx2/66. With BIOS defaults and with maxed out BIOS timings.
edit: no Quake results since I only have 4MB RAM and Quake requires 8.

Reply 450 of 495, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The data in the chart is corrupted at certain cells: Like in the first row for my IBM machine someone removed the FPU and changed the Graphics Chipset to SIS...

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 451 of 495, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

The data in the chart is corrupted at certain cells: Like in the first row for my IBM machine someone removed the FPU and changed the Graphics Chipset to SIS...

I have downloads of the database going back to May and at least since May it's said No FPU and SIS for the graphics chipset.

Reply 452 of 495, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote:

I did sort the sheet today, I don't think I did anything wrong, it's very straight forward.

I had a look at the revisions, the empty FPU I can see going back to last year. The SIS entry happened around May this year.

Reply 454 of 495, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What the heck happened? Phil should be able to revert to a previous revision. Or upload an offline backup.

Reply 455 of 495, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

What the heck happened? Phil should be able to revert to a previous revision. Or upload an offline backup.

tyuper wrote:

Aaand it's gone. 8 entries survived. 😢

Oh dear. Looks like someone doesn't like this work, but doesn't realise he's hurting the community more than anything 😒

I've restored the last full version, but locked it from editing. So from now on it's for viewing only.

700 entries guys! Well done, what an effort and thank you to everyone for contributing 😀

It was lots of fun and the results should be useful for many years to come. I learnt a lot as well 😊

Reply 457 of 495, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bhtooefr wrote:

I'm thinking using a Google Form to feed the spreadsheet is the way to go - the form can only add rows, not change or delete rows.

I agree! You can create a form directly from the Sheet.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 458 of 495, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:

I'm thinking using a Google Form to feed the spreadsheet is the way to go - the form can only add rows, not change or delete rows.

I agree! You can create a form directly from the Sheet.

Cool, I'll look into it!