VOGONS

First post, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't quite think there's an information post like this up here yet, so I set to creating one. The purpose of this testing: Determine the fastest PCI and fastest AGP video cards for MS-DOS VGA gaming.

The system used for testing was not changed and left consistant through out the testing, only the video cards were swapped, run through the tests and the outputted numbers recorded. Also, I don't know how to create PDF's or fancy graphs so you'll have to deal with my crappy little organizational thing I came up with in notepad, it works good enough.

System used for testing:
Soyo Dragon Plus! Socket-462 Motherboard
AthlonXP 1600+ Palomino (1.4 Ghz), with a minor overclock to 1521 Mhz (288 Mhz effective AMD FSB & 288 Mhz DDR)
Hard drive was some random Quantum Fireball 4GB IDE drive I found laying around my closet.

Tests performed:
All 4 tests from "Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database Project" (Over here on VOGONS: Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database Project)

That is:
1.) SUPERSCAPE BENCHMARK 1.0c or 3DBENCH2
2.) PCPBENCH /VGAMODE
3.) Doom
4.) Quake

Phil there has done a great job of amassing a database of various different computing platforms, but what I don't see is a database devoted specifically to video cards, and different types and models, instead of different systems.

So without further adieu, here's the data I came up with.

I can't figure out how to get it in to a forum post in any readable way, so here's a direct link to it in a text file instead:

http://www.outfoxed.net/dosbench/VGA%20Databa … e%20Project.txt

I may expand it further if I can find my other box of more video cards around the house somewhere.

Also I sorted it by RealTics (a value created from the Doom benchmark when run), and the corresponding Doom FPS (which is derived from the RealTics value). I chose this test to sort from because it seems to be the most difficult test for the cards to get through and perform well in.

Maybe this will help someone in choosing a video card for their retro rigs. This should be a decent well-rounded list for most people to chose cards from.

Reply 1 of 11, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice comparison.

Usually instead of speed compatibility with different old games is more important. There is a thread about that somewhere.

I believe if you are using something like Geforce 6800 and Athlon then you'll be using it Windows games too. So it's important to make somekind of a compromise between DOS and WIN performance/compatibility or switch graphics cards as needed (at least I have a lot more graphics cards then motherboards&CPUs).

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 11, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have any reliable way of testing SVGA modes but I do believe anything that does exceptionally well in the VGA side would also do significantly well on SVGA modes as well. So likely the cards at the top of my list would probably be the go-to choice for those interested in SVGA game modes, which also require a decent CPU too.

Besides that, if one wanted to for example go with a Pentium-100 system for compatibility with older dos games, then they might be interested in what I found as the fastest PCI card.

I have another box with another 20 or so video cards somewhere, I just have to find it, I might look for it and expand this list later today.

Reply 3 of 11, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ment more like Windows 98/XP 3D game performance as AthlonXP and Geforce 6800 is quite good match. But not as good in pure DOS.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 11, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually I've found AthlonXP chips to be fantastic for MS-DOS SVGA modes for gaming, at least in descent II, Duke3D, and Quake, if they can be paired with a decent video card to give good dos VGA/SVGA performance. And My A-XP systems are the only ones I can find that can manage above 60 FPS in walk-around mode in 800x600 in Tex Murphy, at least it did with my voodoo3.

EDIT: Turns out I was a little wrong, my Athlon-XP thing is doing 1280x1024 in Descent2 just smoothly and even shows some tearing when spinning around (above 60 FPS), so apparently I was a tad wrong and what I have is good enough, at least for Descent2. It's been almost a year since I played with it I forgot how good it was. 😀

Reply 5 of 11, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

I don't have any reliable way of testing SVGA modes but I do believe anything that does exceptionally well in the VGA side would also do significantly well on SVGA modes as well. So likely the cards at the top of my list would probably be the go-to choice for those interested in SVGA game modes, which also require a decent CPU too.

I think this assumption is incorrect. There are several problems:
Basic VGA uses banked I/O area between 640 kB and 1 MB.
SVGA is no standard but just a name for capabilities of the card for modes that go beyond 640x480 at 16 colors, e.g. as implemented in FractInt for various cards.
What you probably mean is the VESA standard, where you have to make a difference between VESA 1.x with banked SVGA modes and VESA 2+ with cards that support Linear Frame Buffer (of course in combination with USWC BIOS setting/FASTVID).

Speed wise you can not deduce from banked VGA accesses the speed for Linear Frame Buffer accesses. The data already present from benches here in the forum shows this, on some cards it even depends on the mode set. I think the main reason is that you don't know if for the specific card a memory layout translation for the mapping of a certain mode as seen in the frame buffer from the CPU to the graphics cards memory takes place. This can strongly slow down the effective transfer speed.

The second point to consider is the PCI speed vs. CPU speed. Ideally you have a CPU that is so fast that it can reach the maximum PCI transfer speed, if the graphics card is sufficiently fast on the back end. A faster CPU would not give you any gain. However if you have a board that has a lower maximum PCI speed actually a faster CPU system can perform slower. Athlon XP boards are not so well known to have ideal PCI transfer speeds. So with a certain CPU speed al that matters is just PCI transfer rate, so it might be that as example a 440BX with a low/mid range P3 performs even faster than an Athlon XP on a VIA based board (e.g. KT133A).

The third point to consider is bus latency. If you don't have simple fullscreen framebuffer copy loops, but more random accesses the impact of latency increases. So PCIE (66 MHz PCI for workstations) may be faster than PCI than AGP etc.

Before you start benching I would also suggest to review the performance data already collected here in the forum.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 11, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't found any performance data for standard VGA 320x240 for video cards around here, and I did search.

All I meant was I do not know of a full benchmark suite for dos like the one Phil had set up that utilizes 800x600 mode (of any type), for anything, only this VGA mode I showed in the original test. I wasn't concerned with VESA/SVGA, whatever it is none of the tests I have use more than 320x240 anyway.

Reply 7 of 11, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

I haven't found any performance data for standard VGA 320x240 for video cards around here, and I did search.

Well, probably because 320x240 is no standard VGA mode.
Standard VGA graphics modes are:
320x200 16 colors
640x350 16
640x480 2
640x480 16
320x200 256
all colors are palettized from a 6:6:6 palette.

Everything else is some custom mode that may not work on every VGA card.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 11, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

.. I meant the basic VGA modes, what ever it is in the games that run, doom, quake, etc, in this test suite, 320x200, or whatever, I never really paid attention I just ran the tests to figure out which video cards are fastest. I don't know that it really matters either, VGA is VGA, anything below 640x480 pretty much.

Reply 9 of 11, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
i have 2 questions:
1) Was FASTVID or MTRR used for this measument?
2) Were these data imported to Phils Mega sheet?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.