VOGONS

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are loads of games that promised support of 3D acceleration using proprietary APIs, but were never released as advertised. The majority (I believe) are listed in my proprietary 3D acceleration list here on Vogons. Many of these games were only once or twice mentioned in press releases or had a rumour floating around on the internet and probably never had working demos/ports at the developer. They dwindled into oblivion.

I've made this list to showcase the games which had ports that I know or believe existed in some form or another with 3D acceleration support for the mentioned chipset/card. Not much is known, but I've tried to piece together from what is found on the internet.

The list:
- Mechwarrior 2 on Nvidia NV1
One of the unreleased port we know alot about. Thanks to this interview.

- Descent on 3D Blaster VLB

Creative Labs 3D Blaster Promo Video.png
Filename
Creative Labs 3D Blaster Promo Video.png
File size
385.84 KiB
Views
File comment
Screengrab from the Creative Labs 3D Blaster promo video
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Another port that most likely existed at some point. The most interested bits on information is this comment here:

I found porting Descent to the 3D Blaster, which uses 3Dlabs' technology, to have been easy and straightforward. The initial port took only 1 week. You can now run Descent at 640x400/15 bit color with excellent frame rates on a 486/66 based machine.

- Jay Patel, technical director at Interplay October 1995

It was also featured in the 3D Blaster VLB commercial with video footage. Unfortunately it is impossible to tell if the clips were from the 3D Blaster VLB or just regular software mode.

It was also announced in press release by Creative:

In addition, Creative expects more than 20 new games from hot developers soon to be available including titles such as...."Descent" from Interplay

Source

- Rave Racer on PowerVR
See my Youtube video of it which covers the the known info and footage about this port to PowerVR and the PC. After the video was made public a former Videologic employee contacted me and told me the demo was still in existence, but it required the prototype Midas 1 or Midas 2 cards to run.

- Nascar Racing on Rendition Verite
This could all be talk about the sequel, but nothing is mentioned of that in the press releases. It is possible that a port of the original NASCAR Racing was made to show its potential on the Rendition Verite, but since the release of the V1000 card shifted from Q1 1996 to Q4 1996 they switched to releasing the sequel with support instead.

Our initial port of NASCAR Racing(TM) to the Rendition Verite demonstrated our future Rendition Ready titles will deliver quality and performance most industry insiders believed would be impossible ...

Source: -J. David Kaemmer, vice president, Papyrus Design Group, Inc. November 1995

"The performance and quality of our NASCAR RACING game on Number Nine's board has gone way beyond anyone's expectations for what was possible on a PC platform," said David Kaemer, vice president, Papyrus Design Group. "With the gaming market so cost-sensitive, the architects of this platform really did a tremendous job in picking all the right features and performance enhancements that will really make a huge difference in 3D games. We could hardly believe how exciting NASCAR RACING became when we first ran it on the 9FX Reality 3D. I think our customers are going to be even more excited."

Source: -David Kaemer, vice president, Papyrus Design Group. November 1995

According to this source it was also showcased on E3 in 1996.

- Daytona USA on Nvidia NV1
EDIT: Daytona USA on NV1 confirmed to exist (Japanese retail release and bundled with a third party NV1 card). What is written below was before this knowlegde.

Listed on Nvidias NV1 site as a OEM / forthcoming title and as released with support in a Nvidia press release on 6th of May 1996. Though this should not be taken as proof as the Mechwarrior 2 version which never came out (see above) are mentioned in the exactly same way on the Nvidia website/press release. What is encouraging with the port being mentioned in the same way as Mechwarrior 2 is that we have proof that a Mechwarrior 2 port did in fact exist, making the chance for the Daytona USA info to be true.

One person over at Assembler games mention this game running on the NV1, but he also speaks about Virtua Fighter 2 (which has to be VF: Remix). An explanation is that he could've mixed up Nascar Racing and Daytona USA. It is not bundled with the Diamond Edge 3D 3400XL, and I have found no proof that a special OEM version was bundled with any other brand.

The funny thing about the 6th of May press release is that the game didn't ship in retail until October of 1996. Most of the files on the retail CD along with press reviews confirm this. The retail version readme.txt file only claims support for the Saturn NV1 controller, but this only works if the controller is added as a Windows joystick. The game does not support the joystick natively like the other NV1 Sega games. Another point is that the retail release does not have any .dll files or any other indication (mentions in readme, double installers, etc) as Virtua Cop has, another Sega game that was released in retail with NV1 support.

In my opinion, support was probably included at some point of development, but it was pulled before release. It is unknown if they had a working demo as the other games on this list. In many regards the story from the Mechwarrior 2 NV1 port could be true for this game as well. The team maybe found out that the NV1wasn't the future and rather set to work on a Direct3D patch (which ended up being released for Daytona USA Deluxe). Nvidia also announced Direct3D support on 4th of March 1996 (which turned out to be useless when released), but with no Z-buffer support which the Direct3D patch required there were no way to run the game in accelerated mode on the NV1.

Last edited by vetz on 2020-09-08, 12:40. Edited 6 times in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 31, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Mechwarrior 3 was featured in a PowerVR PCX2 ad.

Final game is Direct3D. PowerVR PCX2 has blending anomalies with the game.

Do you have a copy of this ad? Did they promise PowerSGL support?
EDIT: Found it: PowerVR Fun Thread
No sign of promised PowerSGL support in the add. Not released as a PowerVR Ready title either.

There are loads of games that promised support of 3D acceleration using proprietary APIs, but were never released with support. Many of these games were only once or twice mentioned in press releases and probably never had working demos/ports at the developer. The point of my thread and the list I made were to single out the ones that have substantially more information available. Making the information more known could potentially lead to one of these demos/ports being released in the future 😀

Last edited by vetz on 2014-02-14, 14:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 31, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote:
vetz wrote:

Sega didn't completely abandon the NV1 by switching to Direct3D for Daytona USA

Mandatory z-buffer means NV1 was abandoned.

I've updated the post as I forgot about this. Anyway, I believe that if the theory that NV1 support was dropped in favor of Direct3D is true, I don't think they planned to exclude support on the NV1 from the getgo in mid 1996. The Daytona USA Deluxe Direct3D patch (23rd of Jan 1998) and NV1 Direct3D drivers (1997) were not released until much later so lots of things changed in the industry within that timeframe. The whole "NV1 dropped in favor of Direct3D support" is just pure speculation from my side.

Reply 5 of 31, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would be interesting if any of the original source files for any of those unreleased games still exists in some form. There's a talented homebrew community out there that could most likely finish them up so we can see what they would have looked like. After so long, though, they were all most likely destroyed and will never be able to be reconstructed. 😢

Reply 6 of 31, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great thread! 😀

Perhaps that Rave Racer port could be hacked to run on a Midas 3 board, or a prototype Midas 1 / Midas 2 board sourced from certain Beyond3D forum member, who knows... 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 31, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have found some new information on a potential unknown version of Daytona USA with Nvidia NV1 support. You can read the information previously known about this version in the first post in this topic. There I theorized it was never released.

I came across an auction of a 3D Multimedia card with the bundle on Ebay. Here a disc of Daytona USA were included along with other SEGA titles with Nvidia NV1 support. I did some more digging and found out the Japanese Daytona USA PC release actually promotes Nvidia NV1 support on the backside of the cover (Diamond Edge 3D and Leadtek). I have a copy of the japanese version on the way to me, so I will be posting video and screenshots when it arrives.

61Y5e4M5mxL.jpg
Filename
61Y5e4M5mxL.jpg
File size
70.94 KiB
Views
File license
25c55df7db13c83e2c87a3d2529b114f.jpg
Filename
25c55df7db13c83e2c87a3d2529b114f.jpg
File size
77.43 KiB
Views
File license
s-l1600 (14).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (14).jpg
File size
279.72 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 8 of 31, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

I have found some new information on a potential unknown version of Daytona USA with Nvidia NV1 support. You can read the information previously known about this version in the first post in this topic. There I theorized it was never released.

I came across an auction of a 3D Multimedia card with the bundle on Ebay. Here a disc of Daytona USA were included along with other SEGA titles with Nvidia NV1 support. I did some more digging and found out the Japanese Daytona USA PC release actually promotes Nvidia NV1 support on the backside of the cover (Diamond Edge 3D and Leadtek). I have a copy of the japanese version on the way to me, so I will be posting video and screenshots when it arrives.

196157.gif

Can't wait to see if this is legit (and it does sound like it is!)!

Reply 9 of 31, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few notes:

- Hopefully that's not a NEC PC-98 card. The connector is the same, some cards will work in both regular x86 systems and PC-98 systems, but not all of them. Video cards tend to have different BIOSes (basically like with Mac-specific cards).

- When you get the game, and try it, first try running it on a non-MMX system. Several early releases of Sega PC games won't run properly on MMX systems without a patch because they use an instruction that is present on original Pentium CPUs but not on MMX CPUs. I know this is the case for Virtual On and Sega Rally, but am not sure about Daytona USA. I think the patches are still available on Sega Japan's website.

- The installer will likely be in Japanese. This will show up as gibberish on US Windows versions, but the installer should work fine nevertheless. The game itself hopefully is in English, with no functions requiring entry of Japanese characters. If this is not the case, certain functions may not work as intended because they require a system supporting double-byte fonts - installing Japanese language support on US Windows will not fix this, you need a Japanese Windows copy due to how the language support is integrated into earlier versions of Windows. If you need to get Japanese Windows, pay attention to which systems it supports (x86 and PC-98 are separate versions).

Reply 10 of 31, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

A few notes:

- Hopefully that's not a NEC PC-98 card. The connector is the same, some cards will work in both regular x86 systems and PC-98 systems, but not all of them. Video cards tend to have different BIOSes (basically like with Mac-specific cards).

I didn't get the card pictured, I bought the Japanese retail release. The card I believe was released in the US (manual in English).

yawetaG wrote:

- When you get the game, and try it, first try running it on a non-MMX system. Several early releases of Sega PC games won't run properly on MMX systems without a patch because they use an instruction that is present on original Pentium CPUs but not on MMX CPUs. I know this is the case for Virtual On and Sega Rally, but am not sure about Daytona USA. I think the patches are still available on Sega Japan's website.

I have both the PowerVR, Direct3D and software retail releases of those games mentioned. I haven't noticed any problems with MMX CPUs, but I'll keep it in mind. I was planning on running it on my Socket 7 430VX system with a Pentium 200 anyway 😀

yawetaG wrote:

- The installer will likely be in Japanese. This will show up as gibberish on US Windows versions, but the installer should work fine nevertheless. The game itself hopefully is in English, with no functions requiring entry of Japanese characters. If this is not the case, certain functions may not work as intended because they require a system supporting double-byte fonts - installing Japanese language support on US Windows will not fix this, you need a Japanese Windows copy due to how the language support is integrated into earlier versions of Windows. If you need to get Japanese Windows, pay attention to which systems it supports (x86 and PC-98 are separate versions).

Should be fine, Daytona USA is an arcade game. Also it's a SEGA game and according to my experience with prior releases most of the game/software is in English. I have installed many Japanese PC games earlier (PowerVR releases). Never had any issues.

Reply 11 of 31, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

I have both the PowerVR, Direct3D and software retail releases of those games mentioned. I haven't noticed any problems with MMX CPUs, but I'll keep it in mind. I was planning on running it on my Socket 7 430VX system with a Pentium 200 anyway 😀

There are multiple releases of those games, some with the MMX patch already streamlined into the files. Based on the box pictures I think the version of Daytona USA you bought is the first release, because it only mentions Windows 95 in big letters. 😀

Should be fine, Daytona USA is an arcade game. Also it's a SEGA game and according to my experience with prior releases most of the game/software is in English. I have installed many Japanese PC games earlier (PowerVR releases). Never had any issues.

I think indeed for arcade games that had a foreign release it isn't a problem. For some Japan exclusive games it is. 😒

Reply 12 of 31, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for offtopic, i post here just for subscribing, don't know other way, to do it.

Also look here , i still digging from time to time too, also interesting infos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 13 of 31, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So it's confirmed. Daytona USA have NV1 support. It includes the NV1 dll files on the disc and the readme file includes the following:

System Requirement
The following software and hardware is required to play the game.
(Necessary Hardware)
CPU : Pentium 90MHz or faster
Penuium133MHz or faster recommended
RAM : 8Mbyte
16Mbyte recommended
CD-ROM : Required
HDD : 25Mbyte
Display : Only 32,768 color mode
Graphic Board : A nV1 chip compatible board is required

(Necessary Software Structure)
Windows95

(Other Useful Peripheral Equipment)
SEGA Saturn Control Pad

(Installation)
1. Insert the CD-ROM in the CD drive.
2. This starts the installation program automatically.
Please follow on screen instruction after the program starts.
3. Consult the Help file concerning game play methods.

(Note)
If the installation program didn't start automatically, please start it
manually.
Do not load the installation program while playing the game.
If you're using a 1M-DRAM board, do not choose Full Sound Capability.
This setting will be available after you restart the computer.
Please pause the game, when you open the Help or minimize the game.

Pentium is a registered trademark of Intel Corp.
Microsoft,Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in
United States and/or other countries.
The official name for Windows95 is Microsoft Windows95 operating system.
SEGASATURN is a registered trademark of SEGA ENTERPRISES,LTD.
Daytona USA is copyrighted; (C) SEGA ENTERPRISES,LTD. 1994, 1996
Daytona USA is a registered trademark of the International Speedway Corporation
and is used under license from Daytona Properties.

Video capture of this version will follow 😀

Reply 16 of 31, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also found it =) Daytona USA
https://www.amazon.co.jp/DAYTONA-USA-%E3%83%8 … IN%3DB0065NTBGU

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 17 of 31, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Prehaps we could somehow patch the US/eu release to support NV1 as well with those files ? ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 18 of 31, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaVeN-05 wrote:

That one's sold out, as is more often the case with listings on Amazon.co.jp.

Reply 19 of 31, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

So it's confirmed. Daytona USA have NV1 support. It includes the NV1 dll files on the disc and the readme file includes the following:

Video capture of this version will follow 😀

Any news on this? I'm anxious to see the results.