VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@gerwin, I have no experience with the SR440BX so I wouldn't know which bios works best etc to be honest, I've never heard if it before now. I thought it was just the 3 versions of the SE440BX.

@Kamerat, as I said previously, once updated I'm pretty sure downgrading the bios would not fix things. I've read that intel did this because they didn't want people risking damaging their motherboards due to incorrect voltages. Probably to save them the hassle of warranty returns. Apparently something in the latest bios update disabled 1ghz CPUs from being used and when people reverted back to older bios versions it didn't fully downgrade the bios still leaving the cpu restriction made in the latest bios. Who knows...

Don't ask me where I read that because it was a while ago when I was surfing the net trying to find out about 1ghz cpu support on the SE440BX-2.

Reply 21 of 25, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kamerat wrote:

It did work before the upgrade, also tried downgrading but I was refused to do that. Attached photo of post before upgrade.

Refused?
You mean you try to flash an older BIOS (I read 4SEB2XO.86A.0020.P13 is recommended), and then what exactly?

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 22 of 25, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:
Kamerat wrote:

It did work before the upgrade, also tried downgrading but I was refused to do that. Attached photo of post before upgrade.

Refused?
You mean you try to flash an older BIOS (I read 4SEB2XO.86A.0020.P13 is recommended), and then what exactly?

Thank you! Tried the P13 BIOS from Intels website and it worked. Now running a Celeron 1000MHz detected as a Pentium III 1000MHz and now I can mount the PSU (the Pentium II 233 I used had a very high heatsink).

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 24 of 25, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, just thought I'd share my 3D Mark 01 benchmark for the Intel SE440BX-2 + P3 1ghz + GF4 TI4600 combo for anyone thats interested.

This was run using Direct X 8.1 and Nvidia drivers 45.23. 1024x768, no AA and game detail high.

Direct X 9.0c combined with Nvidia drivers 71.84 and 81.98 welded fairly lower results. I'm talking around 1000 points less than pictured so I find that Direct X 8.1 combined with the older 45.23 drivers the best combination.

Attachments

• 3DMark01.jpg
    Filename
    3DMark01.jpg
    File size
    66.06 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    3D Mark 01
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception